Blood test - absolutely terrified!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lipstick Kisses

Reaction score
Hi Geeks, just after some advice and help really. I know I'm being pathetic but I really can't help it, I have to have a blood test this morning and I am terrified. My mum is coming with me and that helps a bit but Im still so scared! I've been having panic attacks over nothing recently anyway and now I have a reason to be scared I think it's going to be so much worse =(
I feel sorry for the poor nurses who are just doing there job!
Any advice on how to stay calm and stop it hurting as much?
Thanks x

Try to stay calm if you can, the anticipation is far worse than the actual test which only takes a few minutes.

If you have some Bachs Rescue Remedy at home, have a few drops or some relaxing herbal tea.

Good luck and it'll be over before you know it.

Hi Geeks, just after some advice and help really. I know I'm being pathetic but I really can't help it, I have to have a blood test this morning and I am terrified. My mum is coming with me and that helps a bit but Im still so scared! I've been having panic attacks over nothing recently anyway and now I have a reason to be scared I think it's going to be so much worse =(
I feel sorry for the poor nurses who are just doing there job!
Any advice on how to stay calm and stop it hurting as much?
Thanks x

I work with needles but am not a fan of them at all when it involves anything on myself and I'm a regular pin cushion :-D Best tips. Try to not tense up, remember that the person taking your blood does it many times a day and they are fast efficient and it shouldn't hurt. Look the other way, tell them you are nervous and they will probably get you semi lying down.
Nurses are great at taking blood.
The thought is worse than the action, it will be over before you know it. x

Thank you, I feel so silly being this scared, I'm 22 for goodness sake! I definitely won't look, I passed out the last time I looked haha. Going to find some rescue remedy and tea now!

Thank you, I feel so silly being this scared, I'm 22 for goodness sake! I definitely won't look, I passed out the last time I looked haha. Going to find some rescue remedy and tea now!

Don't feel silly, most people are scared of something, it's a more rational fear than mine of spiders!
Yes tea and think of nice things x

This sounds weird but let your arm go completely floppy then as they're doing it imagine your fingers going really heavy and floppy, then do the same with your palm, then wrist and by the time you reach your shoulder it's usually done.

I've had three in the last week- a long and not very fun story!

I'm six three, built like a brick outhouse, got an sleeveful of tattoos that took ten hours of someone repeatedly puncturing my skin- and I'm still scared of needles :)

Don't look, count to ten.

And remember, much like Nigel Farage, it's just a little prick!

Thank you, I told the doctor I hated blood test so she she's signed me up to be tested for everything so they can get it all out of the way in one go so I don't have to have another one =) Hopefully they won't take all my blood!! Just got to get this one out of the way!

I am exactly the same when it comes to bloods. Normal needles, completely fine but blood tests petrify me.

I am exactly the same when it comes to bloods. Normal needles, completely fine but blood tests petrify me.

It's awful isn't it! I'm sat here waiting to leave and my heart is beating like I've been running for 10 mins! Just trying to breathe slowly and keep calm but I just want to go hide and put on 20 jumpers so they can't get to my veins haha

How about listening to music on your phone? I'm sure the nurse wouldn't mind? Also, recommend rescue remedy,it got me through my driving test!

Sent from my HTC One V using SalonGeek mobile app

I was the same as you until I was having blood tests every week or two the other year. I burst into tears with one of my first ones when I was about your age and felt such a idiot but I know you just stress yourself so much. The best thing is to not look, let the nurse know and before you go drink plenty of water (as long as your not having a fasting blood test) as it can help with your veins (I'm almost impossible to get blood due to health) but you'll be fine. Just think of it as sat in a chair for 2 minutes and your out of there and free! Let us know..

I didn't die - hooray!
I did panic and cry a bit but I was trying really hard not too. I didn't look and I just focused on breathing properly as I did start to hyperventilate. By the time I was breathing a bit more normally it was over =) arms a bit sore still (think I tensed up because the nurse asked me if I could hold my arm still on my own or if I needed them to get someone to hold me down so I concentrated really hard on being super still so I didn't get restrained lol) but at least it's over now.
Hopefully I'll get my results soon so I can get back to feeling normal!
Thanks for the advice everyone =)

Bravo on getting through it! Hate having blood tests too - in fact I do just what you do!

Fingers crossed everything's a-okay for you x

Oh bless you, well done :hug:

I give injections all the time in my other job and have no issues with giving them, but when it's my turn to have a needle I hate it! I will let you into a secret in that when I have bloods I use Emla cream one hour before hand and it works for me in that if I can't feel it and I don't watch it, then it isn't happening. :wink2:

I'm lucky enough to be surrounded by some really good blood takers, so just pop into work and ask one of our nursing assistants to do them.

I'm 23 and had to be put under general anaesthetic for my last blood tests. Well done to you for getting through it! :)

I feel for you even though I could care less where they stick a needle in me. Im just blah, body fascinates me:D I love watching the blood trickle into the tube lol
Good for you for getting through it!
P.s. Hope you can get through many tests and poking during pregnancy/labour/delivery? ! In case you decide having children ;)

Cleen Cheeks Spa

Well done, one of my friends is the same with anything like that it must be so horrible, what you have to think is about people that have to go though things like it every day, I had leukemia in 2011 and im so grateful that needles don't bother me to much, still get a bone marrow biopsy every 3 months thats always fun ;-)

Sent from my LT30p using SalonGeek mobile app

Oh bless you, well done :hug:

I give injections all the time in my other job and have no issues with giving them, but when it's my turn to have a needle I hate it! I will let you into a secret in that when I have bloods I use Emla cream one hour before hand and it works for me in that if I can't feel it and I don't watch it, then it isn't happening. :wink2:

I'm lucky enough to be surrounded by some really good blood takers, so just pop into work and ask one of our nursing assistants to do them.

I use Emla all the time for electrolysis clients ...it's a great job, takes the sting out of it , especially for the lip area, especially especially under the nose! Ouch

It's great isn't it? It can make your veins recede a bit so could prove to be a little pain in the back side for the person taking them, but I have good veins so am not affected (am thanking God right now).

Latest posts

Back