Blotchy Night Reflection

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtsal

Reaction score
Hi, I have just started to use gellish, I used the good gossip and it was fabulous. However, I then tried the night reflection and it was awful. I used thin coats, cured between each and it looked really patchy. What am I doing wrong? Also, what is D-solve? is it the same as acetone?

Hi, I have just started to use gellish, I used the good gossip and it was fabulous. However, I then tried the night reflection and it was awful. I used thin coats, cured between each and it looked really patchy. What am I doing wrong? Also, what is D-solve? is it the same as acetone?

Did you give the bottle a good shake?

Get the client to choose the colour then shake, by the time you use the colour it will have gone back down the stem.

Did you give the bottle a good shake?

Get the client to choose the colour then shake, by the time you use the colour it will have gone back down the stem.

I didn't think you were supposed to shake Gelish? :-/ xx

Nail Harmony told me not to shake the bottles either, although with the glitter ones I sometimes roll them in my hands a bit to evenly distribute the glitter.

I find Night Reflection can be patchy, you need to get the right amount on the brush, not too thin but not too thick, float the brush over the nail rather than drag it along, if the coats are too thin you will end up dragging the colour causing patchiness.

I tend to do 3 coats of Night Reflection.

You don't shake Gelish!

I have had no problems with Night Reflection and it is a really popular colour for me.
Because it is a dark colour though I have always made sure not to apply too thickly in case of wrinkling/undercuring.
The first coat can be patchy but usually the second coat evens it up, I don't think I have had to do 3 coats of it although I always do with Black Shadow.
Like Kattyj says you need to float it over, and not have it too thin, or too thick...think Goldilocks lol...just right!

I always find I need 3 coats of Night Reflection to get good coverage. Its very popular with my clients. I turn it upside down and roll it. I do that with all my Gelish colours before I use them with no problems.

Also, what is D-solve? is it the same as acetone?

D-Solve is a product remover sold by S2, it is acetone based with buffers. Having tried quite a few removers including the Harmony version, I would say D-Solve is the best on the market and certainly the cheapest.

Thanks for the suggestions, that's really helpful. izzidoll I'll be thinking Goldilocks Lol, when you all say 'float' the brush over do you mean move it slower down the nail or use lighter pressure? I used very thin coats so hard to not use pressure. Thanks JuicyLucy for the D-solve info, it's been mentioned on alot of forums to be brilliant. Just tried looking for it online and can't find it, sorry for being stupid is s2 the name of a company website?

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions, that's really helpful. izzidoll I'll be thinking Goldilocks Lol, when you all say 'float' the brush over do you mean move it slower down the nail or use lighter pressure? I used very thin coats so hard to not use pressure. Thanks JuicyLucy for the D-solve info, it's been mentioned on alot of forums to be brilliant. Just tried looking for it online and can't find it, sorry for being stupid is s2 the name of a company website?

By floating, you just gently guide the brush over the nail plate without adding too much pressure. I do this by trying to keep the brush ends from bending but more horizontal with the nail plate.

Instead of pressing down to put your layer of Gelish on, you just kind of stroke the nail plate with very little pressure. Don't have too much on your brush either.

For my darker colours like Night Reflection and Black Shadow and for my glitters, I do roll them in my hands (not shake) to help evenly distribute the colours.

I always find I need 3 coats of Night Reflection to get good coverage. Its very popular with my clients. I turn it upside down and roll it. I do that with all my Gelish colours before I use them with no problems.

D-Solve is a product remover sold by S2, it is acetone based with buffers. Having tried quite a few removers including the Harmony version, I would say D-Solve is the best on the market and certainly the cheapest.

I roll mine too and I nearly always use 3 coats with Gelish. I think the only one that gives good enough coverage with 2 is My Forbidden love. 2 coats of the others probably look OK but I prefer total coverage and I think you only get that with 3 coats. :biggrin:

Great, thanks for all the advice, I'll try keeping brush horizontal and light and will roll the bottle before using it. Where can I get D-solve? I've searched online and can't find it.

Great, thanks for all the advice, I'll try keeping brush horizontal and light and will roll the bottle before using it. Where can I get D-solve? I've searched online and can't find it.

I get mine from Sweet Squared, although I think some others have said Ellisons, its great, removes Gelish soooo much quicker!

Thanks Kattyj I'll have a look at their sites.

Opps, sorry, maybe shake was too harsh a word.

Some of the colours do seem to need to be rolled between hands to get them to be the same all the way down the bottle.

I also do this with Gelicure & ManiQ. gel polishes.

Latest posts

Back