Blow dry bar

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nailo

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I’m not currently in the hair industry, I’m trained in the beauty side of things. I’m just wondering, are blow dry bars alone enough to make money?

I have a business idea in mind (I have a business degree yet never owned my own business), but as I’m not in the industry those of you who are may be better equipped to tell me what’s what.

So basically, just blow drying. Nothing else. No products for sale, no treatments being offered. Basically they want their hair blow dried and that’s what they get. Fixed price for the most part. I see blow dry bars elsewhere but they always have nails or tanning or some kind of other treatment somewhere in the salon.

What I’ve noticed is when I go to get my hair done I feel like I’m paying for the ‘image’. Do customers really care about a massage chair, champagne or built in tvs in the mirror? Would they not prefer to get their hair blow dried promptly but done well in a basic salon every week for £20?

I may be mad here but I’m wondering is there space for a ‘Ryanair’ style hair salon that’ll just get the job done, no frills?

I personally don’t like spending too long in the hairdressers chair, I find it an awful waste of my time! I’m sure others love it but I just like to get in, get the job done and go about enjoying the rest of my day.

I would obviously be looking for very well trained staff, the quality of the service provided would be of utmost importance and making the customer feel comfortable and welcome, yet also having a quick turnaround time.

Any insight appreciated! Maybe this is just madness?!

From a hairdresser’s perspective, I would be bored rigid just doing blow dry’s and/or hair ups all day so you might find recruitment and retention a possible issue. Perhaps better to recruit non-hairdressers and train them to do blow drys?

I've got the beautiful salon, top end products, and years of experience.....
We offer a range of complimentary beverages, the massage chairs, air con.........you could say, all the 'bells & whistles'
We charge £20 - £25.00 for a blow dry....it's still hard pulling in the punters!

People who you would want to get their hair blowdried every week and you rely on there money are not the type of clients who hate sitting in the chair and dislike being pampered. I do a great few weekly blowdrys on all ages and they all love a relaxed pampered experience as it’s what you don’t get at home regardless of price.

Hi everyone,

I’m not currently in the hair industry, I’m trained in the beauty side of things. I’m just wondering, are blow dry bars alone enough to make money?

I have a business idea in mind (I have a business degree yet never owned my own business), but as I’m not in the industry those of you who are may be better equipped to tell me what’s what.

So basically, just blow drying. Nothing else. No products for sale, no treatments being offered. Basically they want their hair blow dried and that’s what they get. Fixed price for the most part. I see blow dry bars elsewhere but they always have nails or tanning or some kind of other treatment somewhere in the salon.

What I’ve noticed is when I go to get my hair done I feel like I’m paying for the ‘image’. Do customers really care about a massage chair, champagne or built in tvs in the mirror? Would they not prefer to get their hair blow dried promptly but done well in a basic salon every week for £20?

I may be mad here but I’m wondering is there space for a ‘Ryanair’ style hair salon that’ll just get the job done, no frills?

I personally don’t like spending too long in the hairdressers chair, I find it an awful waste of my time! I’m sure others love it but I just like to get in, get the job done and go about enjoying the rest of my day.

I would obviously be looking for very well trained staff, the quality of the service provided would be of utmost importance and making the customer feel comfortable and welcome, yet also having a quick turnaround time.

Have you checked out Blo? I think it’s called that. Owned by Gwenyth Paltrow I believe.

From a hairdresser’s perspective, I would be bored rigid just doing blow dry’s and/or hair ups all day so you might find recruitment and retention a possible issue. Perhaps better to recruit non-hairdressers and train them to do blow drys?

Never even thought of that, I’m sure the day would drag for a stylist with all those skills doing the exact same thing all day every day. Definitely something to think about. Thank you.

People who you would want to get their hair blowdried every week and you rely on there money are not the type of clients who hate sitting in the chair and dislike being pampered. I do a great few weekly blowdrys on all ages and they all love a relaxed pampered experience as it’s what you don’t get at home regardless of price.

Yes that’s very true. I know a few mums who love the escapism of their weekly blow dry for sure.

This is showing me that I’m probably in the minority! I just like to get it over with quickly, no fuss and just have nice hair for the week!

Have you checked out Blo? I think it’s called that. Owned by Gwenyth Paltrow I believe.

Never heard of it. I’ll look into it, thanks. Incidentally, there goes my potential business name which I thought was very clever and totally original! Oh dear! :oops:

I've got the beautiful salon, top end products, and years of experience.....
We offer a range of complimentary beverages, the massage chairs, air con.........you could say, all the 'bells & whistles'
We charge £20 - £25.00 for a blow dry....it's still hard pulling in the punters!

Good to know, thank you.

i love this idea but why not add to it slightly. i'm looking for a place like this to rent a chair where i am but nowhere really doing it.

have a hairdresser doing blowdrys, hair ups (in my case i'd be doing hair extensions also) an MUA, lashes brows and nails.

a one stop shop to get all your stuff done for nights out, weddings etc. do deals for when someone books hair and makeup together etc.

Maybe i should open my own place where i live! haha

Hi everyone,

I have actually written an article on blow dry bars and the benefits they provide. It examines some existing models and provides some insight into the industry - may help with your decision!

https://www.salonsaviour.com/trend-alert-blow-dry-bars/

Let me know what you think! Any questions, please give me a shout.

Han

Latest posts

Back