Blow drying Vs straightening irons - your advice please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samantha1981

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm trying to grow my hair nice and long for the summer. These days (starting a few weeks ago), instead of washing, blow drying and using straightening irons myself once a week, I go to the hair salon every three days to have it washed and blow dried straight. I don't want to use hair irons anymore because last year I found that they ended up making my hair dry and brittle, and therefore the ends did snap off.

My hair is in good condition now and I want to keep it that way. By July I want another three inches in length (my hair grows half an inch per month, so I can achieve this if I don't get it cut).

I thought blowdrying would be kinder to the hair, but seeing as the salon hairdryers are actually very hot, do you think it's ok to have my hair blowdried every three days or could it cause as much damage to my hair as once-weekly ironing?

Please share your thoughts and advice. Many thanks.

I think blow drying is kinder than irons...purly cos very hot iron plates are sandwiched onto your hair, whilst blow drying is constantly moved about and not targeting just one place....however both ways really do need a heat defence lotion or product to be applied first. HTH xx

My hair is in good condition now and I want to keep it that way. By July I want another three inches in length (my hair grows half an inch per month, so I can achieve this if I don't get it cut).

I'm no hair expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I've grown my hair from a No1 to down my back, cut back to a No1 and down my back again about 3 times, I've also gone from black to blonde and every shade in between a hundred times, lol! ( OK so I get bored easy! )

I wouldn't go without getting my hair cut till July...... I've been growing mine from a No1 at the back with about an inch on top for 18 months. I'm trying to grow it into an asymetrical bob, (people keep telling me it's a POB, but it's not!!!!!!!!! I was growing mine months before she got her rats tails cut off, lol) It's so tempting to just let it grow, but the more often I get it trimmed the longer it seems to look cos it's neat and tidy. Don't just let it go till you get it the length you want, keep getting those regular trims it really makes a difference!:hug:

Yeah I suppose I could get it cut in about three month's time, but just one inch off the ends, and then I could still have nice longish hair for July.

I think blow drying is kinder than irons...purly cos very hot iron plates are sandwiched onto your hair, whilst blow drying is constantly moved about and not targeting just one place....however both ways really do need a heat defence lotion or product to be applied first. HTH xx

Well, I always put some sort of heat defense spray/serum on my hair before I style it, and I assume the stylist does it at the salon. I never actually thought to ask them what they put on there, but I think I'd better ask! The only thing I know for sure is that they put a little serum AFTER blowdrying, which I assume is just to smooth the ends, plus some shine spray.

Straightening your hair with irons is far more damaging because the heat is in direct contact with the hair.
Whereas it isn't, with blowdrying.

I have VERY long hair. I only wash it and blowdry it straight ever 3 or 4days max (winter, I can go 4) and it's not damaged. Just make sure you remove as much moisture with a towel, as much as you can. Let it airdry for a bit, so that the blowdrying is minimal.
I usually let mine dry halfway, before I use the blowdryer.

All sorts of products claim to protect the hair from the heat..... it's a marketing ploy.
All they do is fatten up the hairshafts, flattening split ends against the shaft. Oils and pomades make it 'seem' healthier and shinier, but that's it. It only 'seems' to.

As long as you don't start with sopping wet hair, and keep the dryer moving about, you'll minimize the damage.
Also, don't hold it too close to the hair.

Hope this helps.

Hi hun.

Yes blow drying is kinder on the hair than using straightening irons.

The difference between a professional hairdryer and pro straighteners is anything from 30 to fifty degrees.

Irons should be used purely as a finishing tool and used with great care.

Products should be used prior to any heated electrical appliance being used on the hair to minimise the effects of heat damage.

Anyone who uses heated appliances on their hair should have weekly deep penetrating/restructant conditioning treatments to maintain and improve the condition of their hair.

If you use any of the above hair should be trimmed on a regular basis to avoid split ends,the longer the hair,the more abuse it has had and therefore it appears more damaged.

Hair always looks better (even if you are growing it ) an inch shorter and healthy,than having and extra length which looks unsightly.

The only way to get rid of split ends is by cutting,if they are not cut the split works it's way up the hair shaft in the direction of tip to root leaving the hair in poor condition.

Hope this has answered your questions x

I have VERY long hair.. touching my bottom long.. and its wavey naturally. I have a few split ends and regularly get it trimmed. it makes it grow faster too.

Having BOTH parents as hairdressers and growing up around it.. I used to swear by blow drying.
Although its very time consuming.. blow drying was the only way I could go out looking half decent. LOL

Now, I got bought some Babyliss pro straighteners last year and I havent used my hair dryer for just blow drying since!

Its really important to make sure your hair is dried off before using the straighteners. I found that straightening from wet or damp causes the hair to over dehydrate making it brittle and static at the best of times.

I have it sussed now, towel dry, hand blow dry (or leave dry naturally) then go over with straighteners.

I get a salon finish in half the time.. unlike the frizz I used to be left with on the hair dryer.. no matter what serum or brush I tried.

Of course.. it makes so much difference in what shampoo/conditioner you use to.
Personally, my hair in long and thick/tangles easily, then softest I have found to be it pantene pro v. and it has good vitimins/nutrients and minerals in too apparently.. maybe thats what makes it so soft.

some others I have spoke to cant use it as they say its too soft, but its perfect for that ultra sleek look on my hair.

HTH xx:green:

I have VERY long hair.. touching my bottom long.. and its wavey naturally. I have a few split ends and regularly get it trimmed. it makes it grow faster too. Having the ends trimmed has no bearing whatsoever on the hairgrowth rate,as with our nails it will grow slightly more in hotter climates,this is minimal.There are no factors ever proven to speed up hair growth rate,it is hereditary.

Having BOTH parents as hairdressers and growing up around it.. I used to swear by blow drying.
Although its very time consuming.. blow drying was the only way I could go out looking half decent. LOL

Now, I got bought some Babyliss pro straighteners last year and I haven't used my hair dryer for just blow drying since!Tsia my responses are meant with the greatest of respects,but as a professional hairdresser i have to correct you as one would expect with nails.To begin with no over the counter brand of irons will be as good as pro (not necessarily cost ) yes it appears you do not need to blow dry,but by taking the easy option lol,it is having a detrimental effect penetrating right through to the cortex.

Its really important to make sure your hair is dried off before using the straighteners. I found that straightening from wet or damp causes the hair to over dehydrate making it brittle and static at the best of times.Prevention is better than cure,and irons should be used as a finishing tool to maintain the health of the hair.

I have it sussed now, towel dry, hand blow dry (or leave dry naturally) then go over with straighteners. When hair is wet and moulded around the brush it is in it's alpha keratin state,when dried into a new shape it is beta keratin and fixed until hair is exposed to water or humidity,this prevents the need for "running over it " daily with the irons.

I get a salon finish in half the time.. unlike the frizz I used to be left with on the hair dryer.. no matter what serum or brush I tried.

Of course.. it makes so much difference in what shampoo/conditioner you use to.
Personally, my hair in long and thick/tangles easily, then softest I have found to be it pantene pro v. and it has good vitimins/nutrients and minerals in too apparently.. maybe thats what makes it so soft.This brand actually coats the hair with silicone,it therefore appears smooth and healthy,this is not the case,hair which requires a shampoo and conditioner to repair need to be penetrative.

some others I have spoke to cant use it as they say its too soft, but its perfect for that ultra sleek look on my hair.

HTH xx:green:

Please don't think i am being uppity,cos I'm not lol,i am just trying to help by giving factual information xxxxx :hug:

My hairdresser advised me not to straighten my hair more than twice a week due to the drying effects of the heat.
She also told me to move the straighteners quickly as opposed to pulling them down the hair slowly.
I've got naturally wavy/curly hair, I blowdry it then straighten it (if needs be), I straightened my hair on Tuesday and 3 days later it still looks good and not in need of anymore straightening.

According to Charles Worthington on the This Morning programme this week wider plated irons are better for long hair.

Is that right Becki?

It is right Sandi,the heat is distributed over a greater area and therefore less concentrated.It also allows you to "go over it " quicker,one swipe on each section is enough Hth's xx

*stands up* My name is Yvette, and I'm a GHD addict....PMSL!!!

For what it's worth, I have a shoulder length bob which is coloured (permanent tint) and I straighten my hair almost every day......

I've recently started using a pro brand shampoo and conditioner (Indola) for coloured hair, and where possible I leave my hair to dry naturally and then run my GHD's through it to smooth it out. My hair is quite fine, so I don't repeatedly straighten the same piece of hair - one run through & I'm usually done.

I'm not skilled enough to get my hair smooth with a hairdryer, so I straighten. But, I shampoo and condition every day, have my hair cut every 7 weeks and my hairdresser knows what I do so keeps a close eye on my hair!

I work on the theory that by leaving my hair to dry at least I'm only using one heat appliance on it!!

Hi,

I'm trying to grow my hair nice and long for the summer. These days (starting a few weeks ago), instead of washing, blow drying and using straightening irons myself once a week, I go to the hair salon every three days to have it washed and blow dried straight. I don't want to use hair irons anymore because last year I found that they ended up making my hair dry and brittle, and therefore the ends did snap off.

I thought blowdrying would be kinder to the hair, but seeing as the salon hairdryers are actually very hot, do you think it's ok to have my hair blowdried every three days or could it cause as much damage to my hair as once-weekly ironing?

Please share your thoughts and advice. Many thanks.

If you use hair straighter you MUST apply a conditioning mask once a week, so i've been told by two of my friends that are hair sylists and both qualified trainers.

Also if you should apply a protective syrum/lotion/spray every time you straighten your hair.

I've followed this method for 2 years with straighting and my hair is in very good condition.

HTH

Please don't think i am being uppity,cos I'm not lol,i am just trying to help by giving factual information xxxxx :hug:

No probs hun. Your in the profession not me! LOL

though you state that regular trimming doesnt effect growth I was at a seminar once, that I attended with my Father, and the speaker had spoke about that the dna/protiens/whatever you call it that make the new hair growth travels to damaged areas first to repair naturally. However if you cut these off the attention is concentrated on growth?

It was many years ago now but that the impression I got from the guys presentation.
And he worked for Biostetics (sp)

I agree any heat treatment could damage your hair. I usually only straighten once/twice a week anyway.:green:

I was at a seminar once, that I attended with my Father, and the speaker had spoke about that the dna/protiens/whatever you call it that make the new hair growth travels to damaged areas first to repair naturally. However if you cut these off the attention is concentrated on growth?

I have just double checked this and will try to avoid being too technical and boring :lol:

Hair grows in three stages within the follicle only.Once it has pierced the scalp it is not alive it has no nerves,similar to the fe.

You can perm colour or cut and it has absolutely no affect on the hair which is still in the growth stage,otherwise we would never have root regrowth lol.

So you see,what you do on the outside has no affect to what's happening inside,therefore cutting has no effect on the rate of growth.

I hope this makes sense and clarifies your query xxx

People often think that cutting their hair makes it grow.

This is untrue.

What cutting your hair does, is remove the dead/dry/split ends.
Those ends have a tendency to break away. When they are breaking away as the hair grows, it 'seems' that it's not growing.

However, if you keep it maintained, and trimmed regularly so that you have no splits/damage, then you will see the growth since it's not breaking away at the ends.

Also, shy away from anything that claims to 'fix' or 'repair' split ends.
It can't be done.
You can avoid them, and you can disguise them. You can NOT repair them.

Think about it like this. If you twist/break off a branch from a tree.. and the ends of that branch are all frayed. Can you stick those ends back together?
NO. You can use a tar... but the splits will still be there. Underderstand what I mean?

What those products do is as Becki described, coat them in silicone or other, and smooth them out making them appear to be repaired, while they are only hidden.

As for dryers causing flyaways or frizzies, and the iron not doing so...
If you use the correct brush, and technique, you will NOT have frizzies.
Hairdressers straightened hair for years using dryers and brushes long before straightening irons came out.

I'm a perfect example. I have naturally curly, ultra fine and thick hair. If left to dry on it's own OR if I dry my head upside down without a brush
POOF
I have the fuzzies. Just call me a brillo pad:lol:

If I use my large barrel round and paddle brushes properly..... no frizzies.
Perfectly straight and silky.

I have a straigtening iron. It's collecting dust.

i have reply to make - not sure if its a reply that you will be interested in though....!! :green:

the fact is... heated appliances will dry out your hair... so ive worked out the only way to not damage your hair is to to somehow have your hair straight enough so that there is need to use anything... erm.. yes.. but then how....??

well... i have been having my hair permenately straighten for 6 years now.... i do it once a year.. its a straightening system called 'UKON' system...

this system was originated from Japan and have been popular in the far east countries for about 10 years now... the technique involves chemicals but is nowhere as harsh as your average straightening chemicals usually used..

once its done then its there... it doesnt actually come out - it grows out - ... which is the reason why i only need to do it once every year... the system flattens the surface of your hair and although chemicals are used.. the finished result is spectacular.... the hair is left soft.. shiny.. dead straight and manageable...

the best part is that when you have had it done.. there is no blow drying.. no more straightening irons and no more styling products needed... basically i just wash my hair and go these days.... it always fall straight and frizz free even without any help from any heated appliances..

too good to true....? well... yes.. that what i thought until 6 years ago.. but then i tried it once and was hooked... i dont think i can managed without it now.. it saves me time.. effort and money in the long run..

it is expensive to do though.... and you have to sit still for about 5 hours..!! but i personally think its worth it... especially the fact that i only need to sacrifice the time and money once a year...

here is a random website i found of google if anyone is interested.. it has information about what the system is... sorry mods.. im not advertising for them... but i choose this website cos it seemed informative..

go-straight - Yuko system hair straightening by an expert

to be honest.. they charge a bomb on here.... i dont ever pay this amount.. but then i know of a lot of oriental salons and hairdressers to avoid that charge.. :green:

hope this helps...

I'm unfamiliar with that system.

However, many salons use perm solutions to do the same,and repeatedly comb through the hair whie the solution sits for 10 to 15minutes.

hths

I'm unfamiliar with that system.

However, many salons use perm solutions to do the same,and repeatedly comb through the hair whie the solution sits for 10 to 15minutes.
Isn't that called 'relaxing' the hair?
It takes the curl out of hair, I believe a lot of afro caribbean women use it to get their hair straighter.

Hair drying is the better option to keep your hair in good condition, also how about leaving your hair to dry naturaly for a couple of days a week, I do this as I straighten my hair often and it does make a big difference! hth's xx

Latest posts

Back