Blowdry frizzy roots

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lojain

Reaction score
Hello geeks!
So I naturally have curly hair but I like getting blow drys in the salon every week.
Unfortunately, no matter where I go, my roots seem to always frizz within hours of leaving the salon. Currently, I use the blow dry spray by Goldwell-kerasilk reconstruct, and hairspray and serum after the blow dry is done. I'd appreciate product recommendations and any advice.
I have attached a photo of my hair air dried so you see how it is without any manipulation.
IMG_5648.jpg

Attachments

• AAA121B3-91DC-484A-A129-AF958DEB9EA4 2.jpg
    AAA121B3-91DC-484A-A129-AF958DEB9EA4 2.jpg
    681.6 KB · Views: 38
Has anyone ever used the Wow dream coat on your hair? Or framesi shine me brightly super coat? Both products work almost identically, buy stopping your hair from reacting to humidity.
Do you think the roots are actually dry when you leave the salon? Just wondering if there's any residual moisture from washing and this is causing the frizz to appear?

My roots are definitely dry every time I leave the salon, my hair just tends to frizz up really quickly. I think my mids and ends not so much because thats the only place I apply deep conditioner.

I go and get my hair done at Toni & Guy so they only use label.m products.

My roots are definitely dry every time I leave the salon, my hair just tends to frizz up really quickly. I think my mids and ends not so much because thats the only place I apply deep conditioner.

I go and get my hair done at Toni & Guy so they only use label.m products.
Okay, have you mentioned this to your stylist?

I can vouch for color wow, it’s very light and will work well on taming curls as well as blow drying smooth. i never found hair treatments/conditioners made that much difference but the color wow really worked.
I would agree it’s maybe affected by moisture, or the heat off your scalp after being under a hot hair dryer, a good blast with the hairdryer throughout the scalp after it’s blowdryed with first hot air to make sure there’s no damp patches then cold to cool off your hair and scalp and seal your blow dry.
Curly hair like yours is often weaker in its structure and can break easily leaving shorter lengths of hair that when blow dryed doesn’t have as much tension on it so bounces back up quickly. I often use a smaller size brush when finishing off a blow drying which grip these shorter hairs and smooths target root area.
I found taking hair and nail supplement with biotin worked quite well for me giving hair a little more strength to cope with environmental factors and hair colour better.
Change your colour - if you get permanent colour try Demi permanent instead.
I used to work for Toni &guy and I’m sure if you have a chat with your stylist they will be open to trying anything for you to help.

heya i have personally used wow for straight hair and yes it works well but. i find it takes longer to blow dry hence in a professional setting would add 10 mins to each customer therefore if your busy then its more work and less money also t&G use there own products and wow is not their product if they cant sell it they will not use it. i do agree that a blast of cold air is a must and the blow dry certainly looks very smooth i would discuss with your stylist.

I haven’t found that to be the case, maybe hair is too saturated..? but if it does take longer the benefits outway the extra few mins for a customer to leave the salon happier. I used to own a t&g franchise and whilst they will have a product for blow drying and would assume they are using it already color wow spray is different and as t&g are 100% all about offering the best customer service they would be happy to accommodate as long as it’s not paraded around the salon.

bit hard to miss that shiny bottle it can be seen from space mate lol🤣

suppose you could always wrap a brown paper bag around it a do a quick sneaky spray when no one is looking 🤣

Hi. Just an idea for your frizzy roots. I have a few clients with roots that tend to frizz up. What I tend to do get a vent brush right into the root to smooth the root then continue with a round brush to blow dry. I find if the root is properly dried before I go on to the end it help keep frizz away. Using a vent brush with a good grip on the root hair does really help. My client always remark how smooth I get the frizzy roots 👍

I just saw these replies
wow you guys are amazing! thanks so much for the replies
forever will be grateful ❤️

I can vouch for color wow, it’s very light and will work well on taming curls as well as blow drying smooth. i never found hair treatments/conditioners made that much difference but the color wow really worked.
I would agree it’s maybe affected by moisture, or the heat off your scalp after being under a hot hair dryer, a good blast with the hairdryer throughout the scalp after it’s blowdryed with first hot air to make sure there’s no damp patches then cold to cool off your hair and scalp and seal your blow dry.
Curly hair like yours is often weaker in its structure and can break easily leaving shorter lengths of hair that when blow dryed doesn’t have as much tension on it so bounces back up quickly. I often use a smaller size brush when finishing off a blow drying which grip these shorter hairs and smooths target root area.
I found taking hair and nail supplement with biotin worked quite well for me giving hair a little more strength to cope with environmental factors and hair colour better.
Change your colour - if you get permanent colour try Demi permanent instead.
I used to work for Toni &guy and I’m sure if you have a chat with your stylist they will be open to trying anything for you to help.
Hi🤗
Why change my colour, and why Demi permanent instead of permanent?
Also are you referring to the dream coat specifically for curly hair or just the normal dream coat

Hi🤗
Why change my colour, and why Demi permanent instead of permanent?
Also are you referring to the dream coat specifically for curly hair or just the normal dream coat

Hi
If you are using permanent hair dye it will have a higher strength peroxide so there’s more oxidative stress/ damage which may cause naturally curly hair to be more brittle = less elasticity
It’s usually the finer hairs around the parting and hairline that would be effected and this may cause the frizz
A Demi permanent has lower peroxide, and no ammonia will cover 70% grey. Semi permanent is lower peroxide than Demi so softer again but has less coverage.

I use the color wow dream coat for curly hair and use it to style my curly hair and to blow dry straight you don’t need to buy them both 😃

I do think the blow dry technique above would help though.Small brush or vent on the roots whilst they’re still wet and more plyable .

Just a thought as well when you get your hair done in the salon do you sit with a towel on your head after it’s washed?
Your roots dry the quickest with the heat off your head this way so it maybe when your stylist comes to dry your hair the finer hairs are dry already so aren’t drying straight properly, the longer lengths and ends are still wet so smooth easily.

Sometimes it’s just the littlest thing but it’s finding the right one for you that’ll fix your dilemma. Hope that helps

g a vent brush with a good grip on the root hair does really help. My client always remark how smooth I get the frizzy roots 👍
Okay thanks so much,
I haven't dyed my hair in the past 6 months so It cant be bleach causing this as the roots are just growth. What im wondering is, can the frizz be just new hair growth or is it breakage? Because surely breakage would happen more towards the ends.
Noted for the towel drying the roots more, I'll make sure that when I get my hair done I'll ask if the hairstylist can just blowout the crown area first.
Also, do I use the colour wow product each time as the website mentioned to just use it after 3-4 washes and I wash my hair on a weekly basis.
If not, then what pre-blowout products would you recommend in between the color wow treatment spray.
Thanks in advance
you might just be saving my hair 😄😄

Ok so it’s not your colour ✅
Breakage can happen at any length on hair.
And yes it can be new hair growth too.
It can be just a natural change in your hair as your hair texture /life span can change over time.
Your hair in you pic looks lovely, strong & healthy so don’t over analyse it too much it may just pass if it’s just a recent occurrence.

Triggers to think of though are Health and well-being is always an important factor the same way it effects skin and nails. Covid related, hormone issues, thyroid, there’s a whole long list that in general means if you are run down it effects your hair. Stress can cause even a slight hair loss that you may not notice and this could be the new hair coming back.
So yes it’s just working out what is it for you that’s the cause. It’s not something uncommon it’s just more obvious with curls.
For all of the above vitamin supplement with biotin will help.
Environmental stresses too, weather, or more indoors central heating, other changes to your lifestyle, hair tied up more (bobbles and clips can cause breakage)

The color wow dream coat isn’t meant to be used every time. It works with the heat off the hairdryer to smooth and seal your cuticle so I would imagine using it every time would be overload. You shouldn’t need anything else on top. Maybe a drop of serum after you blow dry. Stay away from hairspray due to alcohol content.
There is a mousse in the range that might work for you if you require more hold. I’ve not tried it yet though.
Because I wear my hair curly and straight I just use the curly hair dream coat every time I dry my hair and it works well for me. it’s not heat activated in the same way so would mean you could use that all of the time if you don’t find the other one works for you.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back