Blowout/blow wave

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reide

Still in Training
Reaction score
Hey. I am nearing the end of my apprenticeship. I have 1 client who has thick theigh length over processed curly hair. Her hair strands are course and very dry. Her hair is also split and damaged. She has some peices tyhat are broken to about her shoulderblade. She is the 1 client I am struggling with doing blow waves on and I was just hoping for any advice. Her hair tangles in the basin and by the time she is in my chair its already knotted up. When I ask my seniors what products I should use to make it easier they tell me that we dont have what we need ordered. However it has been taking me 1-2 hours to blow wave her hair. Typically I blow wave hair between 30-45 minutes. I was wondering how I could deal with such dificult hair.

I have been:
- Combing conditioner (Wella Fusion) through her ends at the basin
- Brushing it out with lux oil at the chair

So I get told to dry it to about 80% and then smooth it out. But the hair is constantly tangling. I would love to hear some tips and tricks you guys use to help tackle unrulyt hair. I know this client will never cut her hair so I want to make it beautiful. Please help. I know its a basic question.

There's no real miracle cure for over processed hair. Things that you can do is reduce the temperature when washing her hair, make sure you're only shampooing the root area not the ends. Make sure you're using an appropriate shampoo and conditioner for her hair. Do an elasticity test to determine if it needs strengthening or hydrating.
Talk to you client about the importance of having a haircut, explain how split ends are more likely to catch eachother and cause tangles.
Encourage the client to use appropriate professional products.
If she uses a lot of heat , encourage the use of heat protection.
Products that will help with the manageability of her hair are: moisture/ hydrating treatment mask, combined with a repair shampoo and conditioner at home. A leave in conditioner will help protect her hair too.
Olaplex or any other form of bond builder would be great.....
If the salon doesn't have anything like this.... Maybe take a look at A.S.P miracle water - it's amazingly for tangly hair, it's formulated with hyaluronic acid to resurface the hair. It leaves it silky smooth, shiny and way easier to brush out.
I would look at using a smoothing product as well as the oil you use. Oil alone doesn't sound like it's enough for what your clients hair needs require.
When towelling the hair don't rough it up, squeeze and pat, when brushing through it, use either a wide toothed comb, or a detangling brush..... My recommendation is either wet brush(previously my favourite) , or head jog straw brush (My new favourite for detangling and my best selling brush)
When you blast dry the hair, make sure you're not throwing it about encouraging it to tangle up.
These are also pretty much things your client could look at doing herself too to help the situation.
Other things she can do to help is making sure her hair is completely dry before she ties it up or goes to bed. The hair is more susceptible to damage when it's wet.
You can also advise her to use a silk or satin pillow case which will reduce friction as she sleeps. And to maybe switch to either a microfibre towel or even a t-shirt to dry her hair rather than a towel. Hope you find this helpful. Any questions please ask.

Latest posts

Back