Blue balayage

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laurenpritchard

Reaction score
Hello my fellow hairdressers!
I need some help as his had been racking my brains!
I currently have a lady who has dark roots about an inch and then the rest of her hair is blue, she is wanting blue balayage. I’m not sure what would be the best way to do it.
Pls help a girl out

Xxxxx

Would it be best to bleach the blue out then cover her hair with a light brown then balayage it? I’m not sure which way would be best to do it xxx

Would it be best to bleach the blue out then cover her hair with a light brown then balayage it? I’m not sure which way would be best to do it xxx
To simplify it, you're better off working with what you've got, so chose your desired level in a quasi and do a root drag, and blend in to the blue. Otherwise you're talking hours worth of work, an unpredictable process and end result, and a massive bill that your client probably won't be expecting.

I don’t understand what you are planning to do.

Balayage is a term meaning to paint so in terms of highlights, it gives a more natural sun-kissed look compared to regimented lines of foil highlights. Obviously, you can use colour to balayage as well as bleach.

1. If she’s got solid blue colour all over with an inch of root regrowth, what does she actually want balayaging?
2. Is the existing blue a direct dye or an oxidised colour? Is she expecting you to bleach the roots then match to this blue?

This is her hair currently

Attachments

• 9753E35C-55F1-448E-8381-9365C770A745.jpeg
    9753E35C-55F1-448E-8381-9365C770A745.jpeg
    258 KB · Views: 38
I don’t understand what you are planning to do.

Balayage is a term meaning to paint so in terms of highlights, it gives a more natural sun-kissed look compared to regimented lines of foil highlights. Obviously, you can use colour to balayage as well as bleach.

1. If she’s got solid blue colour all over with an inch of root regrowth, what does she actually want balayaging?
2. Is the existing blue a direct dye or an oxidised colour? Is she expecting you to bleach the roots then match to this blue?
And this is what she wants doing

Attachments

• 11FB09DA-4857-44DD-BA81-8658637F0DDD.jpeg
    11FB09DA-4857-44DD-BA81-8658637F0DDD.jpeg
    517.1 KB · Views: 35
Agree with Ron root drag it with a quasi then apply your blue to the rest of the hair.. your over complicating it and making your job 2x longer than needed.

Her hair looks very dry and damaged presumably from bleaching (and straightening?).
The desired look seems to be a grey/blue mix so I’d look at doing a grey root drag with grey pieces balayaged then go in with the blue, BUT I’d warn her that the blue is unlikely to last long due to the hair porosity and if you use a direct dye blue, it’s likely to fade out green.

A root drag in a cool darker brown then a blue direct dye - many of them don’t go green - Wella Create Tomorrow Clear and New blue

Latest posts

Back