Blue or white bleach, what's the difference?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Blue bleaches usually use a pigment called ultramarines, which is also used to "whiten" the yellow tinge found in some textiles and papers.

Natural_ultramarine_pigment.jpg

Although I believe it only gives a very soft effect, there are of course other bleaches that use direct dye to give a more intense colour result (I guess Magma, Color Graphics?)

The formulation of the bleach will determine how clean it lifts (persulfates, ammonia...) and this will vary product by product. Some bleaches also contain ingredients to control the speed of the lift.

So I would say there is not hard rule when it comes to white vs. blue bleach you would have to read the individual product information.

Great answer Adam! X

I learned from an advanced colourist that if you put yellow over red to make it orange its easier to counteract than a bright red. And it works every time I even noticed when lightening it didnt throw as much warmth as straight red

Sent from my SM-G900I using SalonGeek mobile app

It's because red is a primary colour and you are counteracting with a secondary (green)

Orange is a secondary colour and then you would counteract with a blue shade which is a primary,

Blue is a pure cool tone not made up of anything else unlike green (blue and yellow - cool and warm) and violet (blue and red - again cool and warm).

Orange = red and yellow then add the blue.

Red + yellow + blue = brown

Usually I would lift the red to a copper had choose a suitable blue shade to neutralise.

What yellow shade do you use? I've never done it that way?

Just a yellow additive straight it doesnt need to last so aslong as its orange when you neutralise but 15min rinse off work so much better than removing it then neutralising it and so much more gentle

Just a yellow additive straight it doesnt need to last so aslong as its orange when you neutralise but 15min rinse off work so much better than removing it then neutralising it and so much more gentle

Is this the swarchzkopff Blonde Me? They have additives don't they? I quite liked the look of them.

Is this the swarchzkopff Blonde Me? They have additives don't they? I quite liked the look of them.

Nope just any yellow additive you put it on the hair and rinse off like a semi. It also evens porosity

It's only coloured blue to mask the exposed undertone to be more visually appealing to the customer if they catch a glimpse of it. Has nothing really to with colour outcome. Typically these days the white bleach is to differentiate between regular lightener and ammonia free gentler options

It's only coloured blue to mask the exposed undertone to be more visually appealing to the customer if they catch a glimpse of it. Has nothing really to with colour outcome. Typically these days the white bleach is to differentiate between regular lightener and ammonia free gentler options

I like that idea

But do find that blue is such an obvious bleach colour and also blue! And tint is sometimes yellow- they must think we are mad after doing a consultation for ash highlights 😉

I thought blue bleach was so you can see (for regrowths) where you have applied it to the hair to save overlapping.

It also depends on the brand, saying white or blue doesn't mean much as every company will make a product for a certain purpose and it's very hard to generalise. Which brand/ brands are you currently using?

I dont think there is much of a difference- the outcome very much depends on the expertise of the person using it! That said I use tigi bleach, had great results with the blue bleach, thought I would try white and it seems to lift up not quite so clean on certain clients, but white bleach does make it easier to judge how far the hair has lifted.

Fanola and schwarzkopf but prefer fanola its more gentle and hair condition is 100% better after application. I did a colour cleanse then did pl 20 top and blue with 10vol to lift a smidge works perfectly and its such a strong blue it lifts and deposits

Attachments

• 1409048570919.jpg
    1409048570919.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 67
  • 1409048592154.jpg
    1409048592154.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 72

Latest posts

Back