Bluesky/Colour me Pretty vs NSI Polish Pro?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparkletips

Reaction score
I'm just starting out (again) and have gone with NSI acrylic products so thought I would also use their range of gel polish as the prep products are the same for both but after some research I have found that a lot of Australian tech seems to be using Colour me Pretty which from what I can tell is Bluesky gel polish with a different label. It's much more affordable than the polish pro and im not having such a great experience with polish pro anyway. Anybody else use either of these on natural nails or over acrylic? How do you find them?

Sparkletips if you put bluesky in the search then lots of threads will come up about it for you to read.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I use a few brands of gel polish bluesky being one of them, I have had no problems using this brand, I always use the same brand base and top coat of the product I am using, and check the curing times of each brand, most are the same curing times but always best to check anyway

A lot of people on here hate Bluesky but my clients love it! Never had a problem xx

You should use a professional product which bluesky is not.
What problems are you having with the NSI?

If its for use solely over acrylic nails, then why don't you just use regular polish? You will get the same long lasting results but will have to wait for the polish to dry.

You should be charging much more to apply a gel polish over enhancements as it's essentially 2 services.

Thank you all for you response xx
I didn't notice the search button at the top before but now I'm aware of it I will search before asking the same questions that hav come up before. Sorry guys...
I have since rsearched bluesky a little more and it seems they come in a 10ml bottle not 15ml like NSI so the cost is actually about the same so that would make NSI Polish Pro quite an affordable professional product so I think I will stick with that and work on what I can do to get the best from it since I have already invested in a few colours.
My problems with it were that it was peeling off acrylic nails especially after a warm shower and I couldn't work out why this was happening but after bringing it up with NSI educator it seems Glaze n go must be applied first to give the polish pro something to stick to and seal the acrylic? While this has solved my problem it seems like a waste of Glaze n go and time when other gels seem to go fine over acrylic? Using glaze n go then 2/3 coats of colour and then a topcoat is the same time and amount of product if not more product due the length of enhancements than a regular gel polish mani but i'm only planning on charging an extra 10 for it when it would be only 25 for a gel polish on natural nails?
I have also chosen to invest in the LED cure range as the UV range is being phased out and seemed a lot thicker than the led range. I was also told that the UV range needed to be thinned constantly with a separate product and I didn't want to fiddle around thinning and shaking and testing a colour everytime I used it but one of my LED cure bottles has gummed up already and I have only had it a couple of months and only used it a handful of times so looks like you need the thinning drops no matter what. Im sure I didn't cause the problem as I keep my gel polishes stored in a drawer away from sunlight. A lot of the colours need 3 coats to build up coverage as well and I was hoping that 2 coats would cut it as 3 is more time and more product resulting in extra cost to me and a thicker nail. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

I don't know about the brand you are using but with most gel polishes and acrylics you don't buff the acrylic so although not bumpy you don't buff it smooth to a shine. Then don't use base coat. Just colour and topcoat.
What thinning drops are you using?
You do need to shake the polishes hard before using them every time.

thanks krum xx
That's what I thought too but it peels off the acrylic from the free edge? sometimes within hours!! I checked everthing I was doing and changed my globes in my uv lamp and I tried curing longer and I even bought a 45w led lamp but still this happened so I asked NSI and they said that I need to put a clear topcoat on before the colour coat?? the drops are sold from NSI aswell I can't remember the name but they put them out when people were having trouble with the uv range of gel polish thickening due to solvents evaporating everytime you open the bottle. They told me the newer and more expensive range of led cure gel polish didn't have this problem but now im doubting that...
what would be the finest grit you would buff with before applying colour? I usually buff with a 240 to finish?

Yes 240 usually. Or I just go over with a white block. If I were painting with normal polish I'd go to a shiner to seal the acrylic but not with gel polish.
I don't know about the NSI gel polishes but I've heard good things.
Do you cap the free edge of the acrylic nails with the gel polish? And you don't have the problem on natural nails?

yes I do cap the colour on the free edge even tho NSI actually say not too but I still do it other wise it looks unfinished to me?
I don't seem to have any problem on natural nails as I have get polish pro on my toes for 4 weeks and no problems. Im trying it on my fingernails at the moment with no problems after 6 days?? The instructions that come with polish pro kits say in big capital letters not to cap the colour only the base and top coat and the NSI educator I had one on one training with said the same thing> she was the one who told me to put the glaze n go under the colour to make it adhere to the acrylic? as far as I know all other brands say to cap don't they?

I use bluesky...i love it and you can get it in 15ml bottles for £5 or something so cheap like that...loads of people on here hate it..i thi k its amazing my gel polishs with bluesky last clients 3 weeks before chipping and they love it x

yes I do cap the colour on the free edge even tho NSI actually say not too but I still do it other wise it looks unfinished to me?
I don't seem to have any problem on natural nails as I have get polish pro on my toes for 4 weeks and no problems. Im trying it on my fingernails at the moment with no problems after 6 days?? The instructions that come with polish pro kits say in big capital letters not to cap the colour only the base and top coat and the NSI educator I had one on one training with said the same thing> she was the one who told me to put the glaze n go under the colour to make it adhere to the acrylic? as far as I know all other brands say to cap don't they?

Maybe try not capping with colour if NSI recommend it.
Yes with other brands you do cap with all layers.
How thin are the end of your acrylics. I've seen this happen on nails that have a thicker tip and don't taper down.
Don't use bluesky. NSI is a far superior and professional brand.

I have a few bottles of NSI Polish Pro and never had issues with them peeling off acrylics.

I never use a 240 buffer to finish off my acrylics, I use a 120 grit file as I have been told it's best to leave the acrylic quite rough if applying gel polish.

The application of Glaze n Go would get quite costly. Maybe try using the pro polish base coat.

Hope this helps :)

Hi Sparkletips... I see you're in Australia... My oldest is backpacking out there as I type and we are going for Xmas (me for the first time so very excited). I just want to clarify something. I keep seeing people write 'people hate Bluesky on this forum'. Let me clarify this. Nail PROFESSIONALS do not like and should not use cheap knock offs from China trying to disguise themselves as something they are not. Bluesky used to have the word 'shellac' on the bottle. They had to remove it. Bluesky use the same names and a copy bottle of the CND Shellac system for one reason only... To make people 'think' it's CND Shellac when it isn't.

It smells different, it looks different ... It behaves differently and certainly removes in a completely different way... And so while it might cheaper (go figure... A knock off from China cheaper... Well I never?)... It does not perform the same way as the true professional product created by CND in 2010.

What is worse, is that the public ask for shellac and think they'd getting shellac but they're not. So if you want to use Shellac... Why not use the REAL product that requires REAL professional training and can give you real support as a nail professional? I don't know the exact set up on the other side of the world but I do know it's available and Pacific Nail and Beauty are on the Gold Coast.

Hope this helps.
Love & Respect.

Hi Sparkletips
I'm an Nsi educator at Manchester and I use polish pro amongst other brands too...my routine over acrylics is
Finish with a 180 grit file
Remove any dust
Apply colour coat (the 180grit roughness is enough for your colour coat to grip too)
Cure
Colour coat
Cure
Top coat
Cure
Cleanse with a pad
Oil
I don't know why you would be told to put polish pro over glaze and go there's no need, please feel free to message me xx

Hi Mrs Geek, I really didn't mean to come across as someone that doesn't mind cutting corners or would comprise on quality or deceive a client into thinking they were getting something they weren't. I was just having trouble with polish pro and when checked out (or stalked hehe) other techs on facebook or instagram I noticed a lot were proudly using çolour me pretty. when I went to the colour my pretty site I was instantly tempted by the extensive colour range. Im newly entering the world of nails as I did my cert 2 11 years ago but never used it and am only just getting back into it now. when I did my cert. there was no 'gel polish'product then that I was ever taught about. if a client wanted gel toes for example we used a very thick coloured gel from a pot with a gel brush. Im still trying to catch up on everything ive missed out on in the last 10 years lol. I have decided against investing in new system for now anyway as Im going to try and make polish pro work for me. Thank you for giving an explanation on why your against it tho.
oh and I hope you enjoy your holiday in Australia! Your oldest must be having such an amazing adventure backpacking here! My sister did it too and she loved it as much as traveling overseas:)

Hi Peggysnails
Thanks you for letting me know your routine when using polish pro. Im doing an infill and colour change today and the client wants matte black so I will try just using the 180 before coulour coat and see how that goes. Maybe my problem was that I was using 240 buffer to finish before applying colour coat? could that be my problem? I have had polish pro on my own fingers for 10 days now and its only chipped on my right thumb and i'm putting that down to being a nail tech and handling files and sometimes acetone. Other than that it's wearing well so it's only a problem for me over acrylic. I will also try curing for 60 sec in a 45w LED instead of 30 and see if that helps. I'll post a pic after I've done them and if you get a minute maybe you could take a look and let me know what you think? xx

Hi Mrs Geek, I really didn't mean to come across as someone that doesn't mind cutting corners or would comprise on quality or deceive a client into thinking they were getting something they weren't. I was just having trouble with polish pro and when checked out (or stalked hehe) other techs on facebook or instagram I noticed a lot were proudly using çolour me pretty. when I went to the colour my pretty site I was instantly tempted by the extensive colour range. Im newly entering the world of nails as I did my cert 2 11 years ago but never used it and am only just getting back into it now. when I did my cert. there was no 'gel polish'product then that I was ever taught about. if a client wanted gel toes for example we used a very thick coloured gel from a pot with a gel brush. Im still trying to catch up on everything ive missed out on in the last 10 years lol. I have decided against investing in new system for now anyway as Im going to try and make polish pro work for me. Thank you for giving an explanation on why your against it tho.
oh and I hope you enjoy your holiday in Australia! Your oldest must be having such an amazing adventure backpacking here! My sister did it too and she loved it as much as traveling overseas:)

Hey Sparklenails... I hear you and appreciate your post. It's hard catching up after a while isn't it? Nothing stands still. My thoughts were more towards explaining to those saying 'people hate BlSk on here' and why the thoughts and opinions from professionals were on the negative side. True pros invest in themselves / their education / their products. To hear 'some' on a Professional Forum recommend / use of product that is as far from pro as it could be (why not use Rimmel them), then it drives people bonkers.

I wish you every success coming back into this. Do your research, stay true to professional products, treatments and education... Above all yourself.

As to Ozz trip.... Seriously can't wait and according to H hes's having THE BEST TIME!!!

Latest posts

Back