Bluesky gel polish - advice please?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I absolutely love my ink london and the prices aren't all that different from the so called 'legitimate' blue sky anyway!

Hi guys,

Im a little confused when it comes to Bluesky - I was under the impression that this is not a reputable polish but I have recently been advised (twice by two different nail techs) that the polish now has a product materials sheet available on request -so it's ok to use? -

I am opening a salon in a few weeks, the open dates getting closer and I am still undecided on a gel polish brand - I have bought loads of blue sky polishes to put over acrylic nails but Im not sure if its ok to use these as a gel polish manicure over the natural nail? I have trialed on myself and friends and so far no problems, no chipping its been fab and has really strong pigment in them.

I would appreciate any advice anyone could give me please... xxx
Hello
I'm the marketing director for Bluesky UK, and I came across your query, so I hope you don't mind me replying directly to you. There are indeed MSDS product sheets available for all the gel polishes. They meet and pass all the requirements of British and European standards, and they are used by professional salons and educational establishments throughout the UK, Europe and the World. Our Bluesky Training School runs professionally accredited courses for Bluesky gel polish, and the academies who run the courses include VTCT venues and academic colleges.
rest assured, they are safer than safe, and all your experiences speak for themselves.
Good luck in your salon. If you'd like to keep in touch you can find us on facebook, and we offer free business advice queries too.
Best wishes
Michaela

I gave up asking questions as I felt the same answer kept being repeated but didn't actually answer anyone's questions at all. [emoji30]
Hi
I'm sorry you felt that your questions about Bluesky gel polish went unanswered. If you have any questions, ask away, and you will receive an honest and candid answer. I'm the marketing director for Bluesky UK. Thanks.

They should soon turn up! Maybe answer some new questions
I just came online and saw this thread. It's good to have the discussion opened up again. I'll answer any questions tomorrow. Thanks.

I know a lady who has had chemical burns (diagnosed by hospital) to her toes caused by a salon using bluesky, she said her toes had a burning sensation from the heat of the lamp.

I was under the impression this product was a fake shellac however after joining this forum I'm not entirely sure.

Would be good to know why this would have been.

Thanks

could it have possibly been a heat spike the burn?
Bluesky is not shellac or a fake it's a gel polish and it's own brand. I have used bluesky for 3 years and love it and have never experienced any problems. Xx

Michaela, thank you for coming on line to answer questions. Can you confirm this for me. Are Bluesky products tested on animals? Thank you

I have literally just started to replace all my bluesky (which I was using for personal practice only) with Gellux, and starting to offer appointments, and I have to say, I am blown away by the difference. The pro stuff is nicer, easier to work with, less likely to leak (in my experience) and longer lasting. So glad I upgraded!

Michaela, thank you for coming on line to answer questions. Can you confirm this for me. Are Bluesky products tested on animals? Thank you
Hello everyone
Please find attached a declaration from the manufacturer stating that Bluesky gel polish is not tested on animals. Also, MSDS sheets are available on request. The details contained in them are required learning as part of our training, which is accredited by the Guild of Beauty Therapists. I hope that helps.
Many thanks

Attachments

• declaration no testing on animial.jpg
    declaration no testing on animial.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 91
could it have possibly been a heat spike the burn?
Bluesky is not shellac or a fake it's a gel polish and it's own brand. I have used bluesky for 3 years and love it and have never experienced any problems. Xx
Yes, this is most likely the case. Heat spikes can be caused by poor lamps, over filing (which should always be avoided), hard gels more often, and layering gel polish too thickly. It would be a burn, not a chemical burn as such caused by neat acids and alkalis, for example.

This one is us. Amazon and eBay aren't, and we cannot vouch for the products.

Hi Michaela, I'm confused. The BlueSky products on eBay and Amazon look identical to the ones on your website. Are you saying that if anyone has any BlueSky products from Amazon or eBay they are not covered by your MSDS sheets or their insurance?

I think basically you can buy a load of bluesky polish and then sell them as a pro brand with training and msds under the umbrella of your companies name - like bluesky UK. These products I'm sure will have been tested on animals somewhere along the way and are readily available on eBay x

Still dont like the fact anyone can buy the same product. I was sooo excited to buy a pro only brand when i qualified. Id feel cheapened if clients could legitimately buy it.

Just want to say China has a fantastic reputation for having no regard for animal rights.

Still dont like the fact anyone can buy the same product. I was sooo excited to buy a pro only brand when i qualified. Id feel cheapened if clients could legitimately buy it.

How do you feel about products that were pro-only but are now available to the public like OPI?

How do you feel about products that were pro-only but are now available to the public like OPI?

I dont use them myself but i think regular polish is slightly different. Youre not going to end up with horrible reactions or injuries if its applied wrong.

Thats what cheapens it for me with gel polish. The fact people think its "just nail polish" and refuse to take into account the safety aspect and act like nail techs are just being greedy or mardy for not wanting clients to use it.

Nail polish.. although there is a difference between a professional polish and doing your own, there isnt that huge safety thing. To me its kind of like using that coloured spray you get for hair. Unless youre really clumsy and get it up your nose or in your eye... or youre a total weirdo like my exes mate and subtitute it for eyeshadow (wtf) not much is going to happen.

Ive also never had clients or potential clients scared off by joe public being able to buy regular polish.

(I am assuming opi is regular polish as ive never seen otherwise so feel free to correct me if im wrong).

That is not a valid comparison. OPI has two sides - consumer and professional - and has for decades. Its consumer products are available everywhere but its professional products are limited to professionals (as much as any such product can be). More importantly, OPI, like CND, LeChat, HNH, provide the associated products and information, the training and ongoing education, the merchandising, etc. to professionals. They interact with professionals through trade media and shows. To compare OPI et al with Bluesky or CCO is not appropriate.

I dont use them myself but i think regular polish is slightly different. Youre not going to end up with horrible reactions or injuries if its applied wrong.

Thats what cheapens it for me with gel polish. The fact people think its "just nail polish" and refuse to take into account the safety aspect and act like nail techs are just being greedy or mardy for not wanting clients to use it.

Nail polish.. although there is a difference between a professional polish and doing your own, there isnt that huge safety thing. To me its kind of like using that coloured spray you get for hair. Unless youre really clumsy and get it up your nose or in your eye... or youre a total weirdo like my exes mate and subtitute it for eyeshadow (wtf) not much is going to happen.

Ive also never had clients or potential clients scared off by joe public being able to buy regular polish.

(I am assuming opi is regular polish as ive never seen otherwise so feel free to correct me if im wrong).

OPI do gel polish which is available to the public.

I do understand what you mean about people thinking that the gel polish is just like regular and that they can apply it and be just as good as a nail tech etc, so why not go and buy it off Amazon and a lamp and do it? When in reality there are dangers to consider and proper technique to be learned. But truthfully.. if a joe public was really determined they could get hold of Shellac. So for me the issue with it isn't whether its a "pro only" brand or not.

I think the question for me around BlueSky is whether its quality is reflected in the cheaper price? If a pro were to apply them would a client be able to tell the difference (without looking at the bottle) between BlueSky and Shellac? And do they have the same regulations around their product?

Of course there is the thing that BlueSky have kind of tainted their own name with the whole Shellac Rip off and law suit issues which is never good for a brand.

Hi Michaela, I'm confused. The BlueSky products on eBay and Amazon look identical to the ones on your website. Are you saying that if anyone has any BlueSky products from Amazon or eBay they are not covered by your MSDS sheets or their insurance?
Hi. I'm issuing this in response to the many points raised in this thread. Bluesky UK is an independent company. We are an authorised distributor for Bluesky in the UK and Europe, and are not affiliated to anyone selling on Amazon of eBay. Our products are checked and meet all EU requirements. They are certified as not being tested on animals at any point in the manufacture, as is the case with 90% of the cosmetics used in the UK (that are made in China). Our products meet the requirements of stock management, and we carefully manage shelf life of our gel polishes to ensure that they are all in good condition. All gel polishes only last for 3 years and after that should not be used. Our MSDS sheets are only valid for anything bought from us. You will have to ask others suppliers for theirs, and they may be the same, but we obviously cannot vouch for how others manage their stock, product care, storage etc to ensure good quality, or provide a professional service.

We run 2 courses, and each has 2 parts - an online theory and examination, and practical training time with a qualified and experienced teacher. The Diploma has 11 hours theory and 8 hours practical. The NUS values it as a qualification and you can apply for an NUS card when you study with us. Our courses are valid for insurance purposes - no loop holes, we went through the same accreditation process as Gelish courses.

All brands are available on eBay and Amazon if you look hard enough, and many are what this thread refers to as 'professional'.
We sell Bluesky to many professionals who have switched from other brands such as Gelish, OPI, and CND because they prefer the choice, price and quality. There will equally be professionals who choose other brands, and not Bluesky. It is about choice. We are raising the profile of Bluesky in the professional market, and are glad some of you have noticed. The definition of whether something is professional or not is about whether an income is earned from it. The definition is "engaged in a specified activity as one's main paid occupation rather than as an amateur". It is the person administering the gel polish manicure that makes the difference between a great and professional result and an amateur effort, which is why we are committed to providing effective training. We sell Bluesky to many mobile and salon-based professionals as well as accredited academies and colleges. The reason other brands are so expensive is that we keep marketing costs low, and don't transfer costs onto customers. The price of Bluesky may well increase in the future - we are advising China that it does. In the meantime enjoy a great professional product at a brilliant price point.

I hope that answers everyone's queries. You can find us on the usual Social Media channels if you want to make direct contact. We are also looking for ambitious mobile techs to work with.
Best wishes
Michaela (Marketing and Training Director)

Latest posts

Back