Bluesky or The Manicure Company?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leany86

Reaction score
Hi Geeks. Just after some advice on which brand would you go for in a salon? Just starting out, would love the gel bottle but not fee sable at present. Anyone used Blue Sky or The manicure company? What’s your fave? Need a reliable top coat too.
Thanks xx

Haven't used them but take a look at flirties. There really great prices and my customers get 3 weeks out of there gel polish. They also do buy 5 get one free

Great. Thank you x

Hi There . Neither of those you mentioned are professional brands and both can be bought by non professionals on places like Amazon or E bay . You are far better off with one of the purely professional brands out there . While it may appear more expensive to start when you break down the cost per service you are talking pennies . It is really not worth going down that route :)

Ditto to perfect10kb. If you want to be a professional, use professional products. That's a significant part of what separates you from NSS and/or from people doing nails on the side. In addition to generally being superior products, they also provide associated products, education, training, and customer support.

Thank you. I thought the manicure company were professional. It’s sold in the beauty wholesalers in Ireland. And has it’s own website. X

Well they sell on amazon which means your customers will be able to buy there as well . I did a 'test ' order on their site and I was able to go right through without filling in any registration or giving proof of any qualifications I had . Again if I can do that so can your customers :-(

They say that they sell to salons and professionals but there is nothing on their site that I can see that will stop non professional buying as well x

What advantage does 'purely' professional have over professional nail gels apart from availability? Surely it's about how the product performs and the results and not all about the client NOT being able to buy it / user having to pay $$$$$ for training.
As a nail tech and business owner i know cash is king but really, if nails/clients are to come first before money then 'purely' professional is not always best ...just read the problems people are having with the 'purely' products. If you are confident the supplier is selling genuine and approved products regardless where they sell from or to whom they sell it shouldn't make a difference if the client can buy the product or not. .... unless $$$$ comes first and you don't want clients being able to do their own nails occasionally then go for it.

I use the blue-sky pro led and really like it...I also use the blue-sky Base n top coat also really good!

I can recommend the manicure company from other nail technicians or Gellux by salon system from myself.

I’d always recommend choosing a professional only product.
So many clients have led lamps and gel polishes now.
And Canni-uk on this forum it is all about the client being unable to purchase professional products. It’s pro only.

It's also about :
  • buying products that are legal
  • that don't invalidate the salon insurance
  • that are safe and don't contain illegal ingredients, and increase the risk of an allergy
  • supporting companies that offer professional education

I'm all for legal products, legal ingredients but don't agree with stopping people from being able to buy certain pro products and having a choice.
Each to their own i guess

I'm all for legal products, legal ingredients but don't agree with stopping people from being able to buy certain pro products and having a choice.
Each to their own i guess

So you think it is ethical to sell products containing chemical irritants to the general public, despite the huge increase in reported allergies by hobbyists?

Where did i say that BobSweden?
I know you have an agenda to bash people and companies but please stop making things up....it's as irritating as an allergy.

I guess i could be in the wrong forum. I thought it was for nail professional's but have just realised it's against forum rules to talk about professional products that can be bought over the counter. Many people do and it would be great if a moderator could confirm this.

Last edited:
Canni,
You are reading Bob incorrectly; he never said you said that. The issue he is trying to present is that many of the chemicals we use (legally) as nail techs are dangerous in untrained hands. The reason that many of our products are not sold to the general public is not a matter of exclusivity, but of safety. Perhaps you ought to head over to some of the DIY sites and take a look at the serious rise in allergic reactions because of the use of these products, particularly the mismatch and poor use of UV/LED lamps. Companies, and especially counterfeit brands like Bluesky, by selling to the general public, contribute to this untrained usage and dramatic increase in allergies.That's the ethical issue, and it's something we as professionals ought to be concerned about.

That said, I have noticed and been concerned with a number of new members coming into the forum who blow off concerns for products safety, professional products, appropriate lamps, manufacturers' instructions, etc. This is a professional forum and one of its most important responsibilities is to uphold professional standards and practices within this profession, and to encourage newbies to conduct themselves in a responsible, ethical, and professional manner. We do this for their sake, our sake, and for the sake of the profession. While we each run our businesses as individuals, we rise and fall only as the profession as a whole. The forum's role is also to review and to support vendors and manufacturers who support nail professionals, rather than those that skim off profitable areas and contribute little back. How a product performs often goes beyond what is in the bottle. That is what professionals know that the general public does not, and that is another reason to use professional products. Still, no one is arguing that one should use only "professional" products, especially since what that means is already hard to decipher. I mean, is a cotton pad sold at CVS or Sally unprofessional?

I used the manicure company gel and don't recommend the products they're very watery and take layers upon layers to get the desired gel Polish effect most love I would personally stick to the gellux or blue sky as I've had fab results with these but it's your personal choice ;)

Canni,
You are reading Bob incorrectly; he never said you said that. The issue he is trying to present is that many of the chemicals we use (legally) as nail techs are dangerous in untrained hands.?

Thank you NancySyd. This is precisely my concern. Not only that Nt who love their career, many who are single parents who rely on the income and work flexibility, have to leave due to allergies. But that the significant increase in allergies among both hobbyists and NT is forcing the authorities to take note.

As a consequence a number of cosmetic regulators have asked the EU to reevaluate the safety of some important ingredients. This means up to 90% of nail products could be banned. I am not the only one seriously worried about this, a number of well-known experts who I am in regular contact with, share my concerns.

The industry is destroying itself. The average NT doesn't see this but they ultimately are the ones who will suffer.

I have written an article on this subject for Scratch and hope that this will be published soon. We are 2 minutes from midnight.

Of course, I could have kept quiet and avoided criticism or claims of scaremongering. But this would not fit with my conscience or that of my wife's. It is a shame that more people who understand the situation don't speak out, but perhaps they will if someone takes the lead.

Nancy i get where Bob is coming from and watched his video's regarding wanting new certs, training, Hema safety etc etc etc and his Hema free product range :) but i am allowed to have an opinion as a professional nail tech surely. I don't know fully the technical spec of Blue Sky the subject of this topic and didn't know it was counterfeit (of what?),
Would i be correct in saying one of the UK's best known nail professionals, teacher/trainer, world nail comp winner, Youtube blogger etc etc (i won't name names) and her product range is dangerous to use because it's available to the public?.
Again i'm all for safety, legal and all the other things being mentioned but just have an opinion that an exclusive product doesn't always make it better than all non exclusive product. Some exclusive products give allergic reactions also even if used correctly. How they are applied and by whom is totally different area i won't get into here. I may hurt some by saying i think it's snobbery to tell a nail tech to only use exclusive products and believe they should use whatever product they like if it's genuine and safe, even if it's available to the public.

Edit to say - the exclusive products come at a higher price all in and that i feel holds back many nail professionals that just can't afford them whether starting out or experienced without the funds available. I would always advise them to first check the legitimacy of a product they can afford and want to use on clients.

Last edited:
All nail products can use allergic reactions, canna-uk, even HEMA-free and hypoallergenic products. If someone abuses the product containing a chemical irritant, there is a risk. Some chemical irritants are more gentle, some are harsher, but they are irritants.

And this is the crux of our disagreement. I don' t think it is sensible to sell such products to untrained public. In fact I think it is unethical, and a short cut to making money taken by those unable or unwilling to occupy the higher ground.

In principle you are right, that because a brand makes their products exclusive that does not necessarily make them safer. But my observation is that those who do not make their products exclusive, do so because they can't add value and have to sell on price. This means that they are companies who are not owned by a well known and respect NT, they have little experience as a NT, they can't offer advanced training, and usually they don't have enough money to invest to make a high quality webshop, employ staff, rent a warehouse, attend exhibitions or hire lawyers to make sure that their products are legal.

So you end up with rinky-dink one-person companies selling from home, with product stuffed into their garage, setting up as an eBay seller. Or in some cases they use a free webshop.

I don't have anything against one-person companies - I was one in the past. We all start from somewhere. But when there is the issue of health, we must expect and demand that the suppliers / brands meet certain norms. It is not acceptable to come onto a pro-forum and try to promote ones products, when in reality the business is undermining professionals.

Latest posts

Back