Bluffers, dare I say fakes?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nailzoo

Reaction score
I'm not sure if it's just me, but there seems to be some very basic questions being asked ........

Questions so basic that these "apparent" techs can not possibly be undertaking any kind of training (and if they are, they are being trained by a less that scrupulous tutor).

Some peeps post in here, when clearly they should be asking their current tutor (if they exist).

I'm all for helping someone out that is willing to put in some effort (even if it's a crappy course), but looking at some posts, I feel that I'm helping to educate some Ebay buyers wanting to take the cheap way out and using Salongeek to help them along their way.

Maybe it's just me, but some of the questions asked would be easily answered on day one or 2 of any half decent nail course.

Is there any way of policing this ? and how do you feel about educating others that are just seeking advice for free, buying cheap products, no education (except for what they have learned in Salongeek) then set up (perhaps in your neighborhood) and create another half price tech, doing half cocked nails.

Someone had to say it (guess it's gonna be me), but I bet some of you were thinking it .... your thoughts please

I often think this, surely we should have to prove that we are infant qualified like when we make account for professional beauty or hair supplies and we have to send a copy of our certificates. But then again if those people want to take the risk with the public than more foul them, their not going to get insurance are they!

I also agree that the professional areas of SG should not be accessible to anyone with internet.

yes i think the best thing is to ignore them untill they get bored with nails and decide they want to be something else equally as easy.:(
'o i know i'm good at doing my hair . i think i'll be a hairdresser, all you need is a hair straightener, some of them remy 7" pre pigged things and a scissors and facebook. yipee'

I get the impression that some people ask questions just to spark a debate, more often than not, about the Shellac lamps. :rolleyes: TROLLS is what I've known them to be called on other forums.

As for people not getting insurance, how many of them actually care, so long as us qualified ones give them the info they need to do a half decent set of nails, they're not losing a penny but in the mean time are offering discount work causing qualified techs to possibly lose out.

If you think nails is bad, step into hair forum. We get a lot of: I just want to tell my hairdresser what to buy, or my hairdressers is telling me this, is this right? LOL! :D In other cases, some blatant bull-fluffery!

I'm only training, but you can spot the blaggers a mile off. It is getting very, very tiresome! :-( Loads of experienced hair-geeks have gone away, as they're fed up with it too.

Trouble is, half the questions asked over,and over, could be answered using the magic search button too! :D

It's a shame unqualifieds crop up on this site, frustrating, annoying and often sparks a large debate. What I hope as a community is that we can show our professionalism and inspire the diyers to go get educated and do it properly. xxx

I too have tried to remind fellow Geeks to try and check the public profile before answering an obviously novice question, but who is to stop the Geek from telling porkies about their qualifications and experience. ( I got to the stage where I felt that I was becoming fixated checking up on training and qualifications in the profile section)
If this forums becomes heavilly "policed" I believe it will stop a lot of aspiring Beauty Geeks from having access to the wealth of knowledge on here, which would be a shame. How do you help them without helping the freeloaders?

I do agree that it is irritating when you come across a blatantly unqualified DIY'er especially when loads of Geeks jump in and offer really helpful advice, I applaud the Geeks for trying to help but wouldn't it be nice if we could be a little more careful with our replies and who we reply to?

I hope someone comes up with an answer to this ever present dilemma.

If you think nails is bad, step into hair forum. We get a lot of: I just want to tell my hairdresser what to buy, or my hairdressers is telling me this, is this right? LOL! :D In other cases, some blatant bull-fluffery!

I'm only training, but you can spot the blaggers a mile off. It is getting very, very tiresome! :-( Loads of experienced hair-geeks have gone away, as they're fed up with it too.

Trouble is, half the questions asked over,and over, could be answered using the magic search button too! :D

It's the pictures that disturb me .... why ask in here?, why not ask your tutors (surely they can adjust you in the next class) if indeed you are in a class, there are so many examples of beautiful nails, if your's don't compare in any way, shape or form, why post? Critiques (I feel) should be for fine tuning ...... anything else, you should be asking the person that is teaching you ... if indeed anyone is teaching you at all.

I know this is gonna tick some people off, but it's not our job to teach ...... it is however our "guidance" that is required and our eye for "refinement" and tuning

Look guys, we have had this debate before and the forums accessibility is not going to change because students are NOT qualified and this is a teaching site.

I think Carl is right that there are some people who are not trained, but is becomes so apparent when reading their posts and checking their profiles, just as it is so easy to spot when a supplier is sending people onto the site to 'big' up their products or to post about a new wonder product. Or to complain about another product and try to put it down. I'm sure most of you can see it happening.

Why there are even SECRET face book pages where some sad ex geek members congregate to 'cook up' awkward questions to post here, about well know products, just to cause trouble. Known ex members think up the questions and then get new members to post them so they hope we won't know. Do they really think we don't know? We have a great moderator team and they have their ways!! :lick: These things are sorted out behind the scenes and we take note. I just think it is pathetic for 'grown ups' to behave in that way.

If you think a person is an ebay messer or cowboy ... then don't answer the post. It soon becomes apparent.

Geeg, I am truly shocked that there are ex geeks doing this on FB! Wow, I am naive for oldie! And to hold a 'grudge' is not a healthy thing....

I always check the OP's profile before I answer any question relating to "same recurring questions"... I think we all have said at one point 'do a search'!! But as time goes by many of us don't bother replying at all, which is a shame for those that truly want to know.

Why there are even SECRET face book pages where some sad ex geek members congregate to 'cook up' awkward questions to post here, about well know products, just to cause trouble. Known ex members think up the questions and then get new members to post them so they hope we won't know. Do they really think we don't know? We have a great moderator team and they have their ways!! :lick: These things are sorted out behind the scenes and we take note. I just think it is pathetic for 'grown ups' to behave in that way.

This is unbelievable. Some folk have no life. :(

I tend to help if I can, without always checking the profile but I'm going to be checking now :evil:

I do think an empty profile looks highly suspicious. I know people can make stuff up and some might, but on the whole I think most folk after guidance to DIY will just leave it blank.

So a note to nail students who are actually doing a course . . . . fill out that profile, even if you're in the early stages of your course and give a few details/dates etc and product lines of what you use.

We can't hope never to come across DIYers on here (although we can dream). If people will (albeit very occasionally) pick my brains and tell me they've bought dabbling products off ebay whilst having their nails done and sitting in front of me, I'm damn sure folk are going to do it sitting at their PC in the privacy of their own room! :rolleyes:

I've always been cautious on what advice to give on this forum as I've never wanted to answer newbies to the industry homework questions as back in my day I read the books and I researched my answers, however, I dont mind giving nail advice for free to help troubleshoot issues or to critique nail work good or bad, I'm not into soft soaping, I'm a say it how it is type of person, the only reason why I will help newbies is because a friend of mine recently enrolled at her local college for nail training and it's truly opened up my eyes, I can't believe the poor substandard teaching she and her 19 class mates have paid for, Im sure most of her class already have the attitude that their doodoo tastes of chocolate and they're the worlds best nail technician as they bang
out crapola nails on their paying victims only to come unstuck (pardon the pun) when they experience, air bubbles, lifting, infill lines, rings of fire, green nails, and the realisation that the white powder in their training kit can be used... IMO This is when Salon Geek our PROFESSIONAL forum steps in, we have some of the worlds greatest nail artists and royalty on here this includes you Carl :D that can guide them in the right direction but as they say 'you can lead a horse to water, but you can't force it to drink it'

The moderators of this site need to keep this site Troll free, troublemakers should IMO be banned And if new members have been re educated by any methods or had the light bulb moment due to being a member on this site then they should contribute by becoming a premium geek and give something back to this site as a thank you.

Oh yes there is a search facility available, use it!! :D xx

It's a shocking thing! Been going on for a long while now.

I do what I've always done .. keep my head down, work hard and mind my own business and do not worry about others. To be honest, I really have no interest in bitter people and do not want or need them in my life ... so thankfully they are not! :D

I do consider it my 'vocation' to teach here on salon geek and I try to put something in every post that is informative. And I keep bashing away at it and will continue to do so as long as there are new ones who come along who want to learn and who are inspired by that to do better ... and there are many. they disappear for a while as they get BUSY but they drift back from time to time and it is always so good to see them. Carl, Anna, Trinity, Gr8nails etc. XXX THEY along with so many of you, inspire me.!!

So, if so many are indeed so "wary", all we have to do is dissuade the "heros" that feel the need to answer anything (even if they google the answer) I remember the days of "brownie points" ...... what were they called way back when? ..... anyways, you get my drift, you are not rewarding yourself by being "the quickest", "the best", the most knowledgeable" when you are providing information to the Ebay-esque techs that would steal your clients at the drop of a hat by halving your price.

And all those that don't agree, just give us a little more info about what you are doing, where you are learning, where you are going, where you are buying ... this is the most brilliant resource for learning and advice, but I really think you have to meet us half way, at least convince us that you that you are seriously interested in nails ..... There are many sincere wannabe techs in here ..... we can tell by the "quality" of questions ....

Now ..... quality questions please (not how do I use the tripe I bought from Ebay), we really are on the side of genuine aspiring techs ......

No Bluesky, Maytheps, CCO or Sina techs please, you actually stand out like shaved ,buffed and mirror balled dogs bollocks ....

If you think a person is an ebay messer or cowboy ... then don't answer the post. It soon becomes apparent.

That means ........ "hold back" ... no need to be the "hero" because you know that answer, many know the answer and 9 out of 10 hold back, because those 9 people want to give it to peeps that "appreciate" the answer, "deserve" the answer, not just give it to peeps that "expect" the answer.

It's a shocking thing! Been going on for a long while now.

I do what I've always done .. keep my head down, work hard and mind my own business and do not worry about others. To be honest, I really have no interest in bitter people and do not want or need them in my life ... so thankfully they are not! :D

I do consider it my 'vocation' to teach here on salon geek and I try to put something in every post that is informative. And I keep bashing away at it and will continue to do so as long as there are new ones who come along who want to learn and who are inspired by that to do better ... and there are many. they disappear for a while as they get BUSY but they drift back from time to time and it is always so good to see them. Carl, Anna, Trinity, Gr8nails etc. XXX THEY along with so many of you, inspire me.!!

From a little mobile nail tech in Scotland who has been inspired, helped and guided over the last few years..........

THANK YOU ALL!!!

So, if so many are indeed so "wary", all we have to do is dissuade the "heros" that feel the need to answer anything (even if they google the answer) I remember the days of "brownie points" ...... what were they called way back when? ..... anyways, you get my drift, you are not rewarding yourself by being "the quickest", "the best", the most knowledgeable" when you are providing information to the Ebay-esque techs that would steal your clients at the drop of a hat by halving your price.

And all those that don't agree, just give us a little more info about what you are doing, where you are learning, where you are going, where you are buying ... this is the most brilliant resource for learning and advice, but I really think you have to meet us half way, at least convince us that you that you are seriously interested in nails ..... There are many sincere wannabe techs in here ..... we can tell by the "quality" of questions ....

Now ..... quality questions please (not how do I use the tripe I bought from Ebay), we really are on the side of genuine aspiring techs ......

No Bluesky, Maytheps, CCO or Sina techs please, you actually stand out like shaved ,buffed and mirror balled dogs bollocks ....

I HEART this so much!

Same for any discipline in hair/beauty, and on other forums, you have to at least attempt what you would do before anyone helps. In fact it's a rule on language forums :D

Agree wholeheartedly too, about, why aren't people asking their tutors, if they are indeed actually what they say they are?

Look guys, we have had this debate before and the forums accessibility is not going to change because students are NOT qualified and this is a teaching site.

I think Carl is right that there are some people who are not trained, but is becomes so apparent when reading their posts and checking their profiles, just as it is so easy to spot when a supplier is sending people onto the site to 'big' up their products or to post about a new wonder product. Or to complain about another product and try to put it down. I'm sure most of you can see it happening.

Never knew that about secret pages being set up! That is truly pathetic! So sad that people wake up on a morning and actually think that's what their plan for the day is to do stuff like that. Grow up!

Sent from my GT-I5800 using SalonGeek

Some people should try getting better training rather than setting up fb pages like that! Truly sad :-(

I've just checked my profile :-0 I have very little information & can see now why other Geeks might hold back giving information..... That will be getting up dated now!!!! Apologies for the lack for information ladies :) X

Latest posts

Back