Blurred vision - nerves?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SwissSassy

Pédicure Diplômée - Pédi Suisse
Reaction score
I have been busy practicing Shellac manicures on my friends since doing the course last week. Despite the fact that they are good friends, I have been quite nervous and visibly shaky but did manage to calm my nerves, keep my best poker face on and try and look super professional ;) However, at a couple of points my vision started to become quite strained to the point where I almost couldn't see what I was doing...not ideal on several levels!

I'm wondering could this be nerves? I'm very new to this job and each manicure I do, striving for perfection and feeling under the microscope achieving it is quite an intense experience.

Has anyone else experienced this or am I simply destined for a trip to Specsavers? My eyesight (with glasses) is normally fine but I'll get an eye test to be sure next week.

I cant focus with my contact lenses in when doing close up. I have to have naked eyes or i cant see :o
Yes not ideal to not be able to see what you are doing
Vicki xx

I work at a computer all day and normally fine however I noticed i couldnt see proply while practising nails hehe Ive now got glasses and theyre amazing. X

Whats your posture like when working? Are you concentrating so hard that you're leaning in too close?

Nerves can cause this hun, it happens cause were focusing to hard on a nail to make it 110% and our minds block everything else out try to relax a little focus on customers conversation you know what your doing it's practice hun it'll all come together and maybe just a wee trip to spec savers when I studied electrolysis we were told we had to have eye test done as the closeness of work may put more stran on eyes xxxx

Lol I thought I was the only one who experienced this. I had an eye test back in November because I thought I was going blind. I was doing lots of practicing and the light in my room wasn't brilliant, I suffered with blurred vision and head aches. I was too scared to have a test but in the end I made myself go. The optician told me that the glasses I was wearing were basically useless and under correcting my eye sight. They changed my prescription and tinted the lenses for with anti glare because I couldn't read a computer screen anymore. I changed the bulbs in my room too the energy saving ones are rubbish but I bought some good ones from Tesco I think and they are the equivalent of 95watt bulb they are more expensive but well worth it, I noticed the difference straight away. Now I love wearing my new specs, I have now problems.:)xx

Whats your posture like when working? Are you concentrating so hard that you're leaning in too close?

I'll be doing a manicure this afternoon and will pay attention to my posture and make sure I'm not too close. Thanks, I wouldn't have considered that to be an issue but it could well be.

Nerves can cause this hun, it happens cause were focusing to hard on a nail to make it 110% and our minds block everything else out try to relax a little focus on customers conversation you know what your doing it's practice hun it'll all come together and maybe just a wee trip to spec savers when I studied electrolysis we were told we had to have eye test done as the closeness of work may put more stran on eyes xxxx

Thanks. It feels like a true handicap and I'm nervous about my upcoming manicures...I have one this afteroon and a few during the week. They are my friends though and I'm doing them for free but I want them to be paying customers after the first round. I wont be doing any paid customers until I have had eyes tested to be 100%.

I will try and relax this afternoon and just hope she doesn't choose Fedora ;)

Lol I thought I was the only one who experienced this. I had an eye test back in November because I thought I was going blind. I was doing lots of practicing and the light in my room wasn't brilliant, I suffered with blurred vision and head aches. I was too scared to have a test but in the end I made myself go. The optician told me that the glasses I was wearing were basically useless and under correcting my eye sight. They changed my prescription and tinted the lenses for with anti glare because I couldn't read a computer screen anymore. I changed the bulbs in my room too the energy saving ones are rubbish but I bought some good ones from Tesco I think and they are the equivalent of 95watt bulb they are more expensive but well worth it, I noticed the difference straight away. Now I love wearing my new specs, I have now problems.:)xx

Thanks Jo, will look at all of this! Might just close my eyes in the meantime - do you think that would help? :lol:

I was prescribed glasses a few years ago, but they were very weak and didn't really wear them, didn't see the point, but I found I was having trouble seeing cuticles, so I put my glasses on and it didn't really help, went back for more glasses a few weeks ago and told them the problem I was having, turned out my old ones were not strong enough and was prescribed stronger ones, now I can actually see the cuticle clearly lol I'm 42 so obviously an age thing with me, I also got the free nhs glasses so no extra expense and I love them. :)

Anna

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

I was prescribed glasses a few years ago, but they were very weak and didn't really wear them, didn't see the point, but I found I was having trouble seeing cuticles, so I put my glasses on and it didn't really help, went back for more glasses a few weeks ago and told them the problem I was having, turned out my old ones were not strong enough and was prescribed stronger ones, now I can actually see the cuticle clearly lol I'm 42 so obviously an age thing with me, I also got the free nhs glasses so no extra expense and I love them. :)

Anna

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

I've just come back from doing a manicure this afternoon and it went better. It was really good friend and I took my time, checked my posture and made sure light was well positioned. I was more relaxed and it certainly helped.

I'm a week away the big 40 so perhaps that's playing a small evil role with me too Anna!

were you hungry?

sometimes you can get so caught up in what you are doing time flies.

make sure you take a break and have a snack or meal as fluctuations in your blood sugars can cause blurred vision.

Sometimes when you concentrate really hard you find you don't blink enough.

were you hungry?

sometimes you can get so caught up in what you are doing time flies.

make sure you take a break and have a snack or meal as fluctuations in your blood sugars can cause blurred vision.

Couldn't have been as I wolfed down a banana and cup of tea just before she arrived. I'm quite sure it's nerves as today I was calmer (but slower). Thanks for suggestion though x

I have been busy practicing Shellac manicures on my friends since doing the course last week. Despite the fact that they are good friends, I have been quite nervous and visibly shaky but did manage to calm my nerves, keep my best poker face on and try and look super professional ;) However, at a couple of points my vision started to become quite strained to the point where I almost couldn't see what I was doing...not ideal on several levels!

I'm wondering could this be nerves? I'm very new to this job and each manicure I do, striving for perfection and feeling under the microscope achieving it is quite an intense experience.

Has anyone else experienced this or am I simply destined for a trip to Specsavers? My eyesight (with glasses) is normally fine but I'll get an eye test to be sure next week.

I find I shake more if I'm dehydrated. Also, make sure you've had something to eat. It could also be low blood sugars which anyone can get, you don't have to be diabetic, just going too long between eating, then adding stress to the mix.

I agree with having your eyes checked just to be sure. But definitely make sure you're well hydrated.

Do you have an over head lamp?I bought an over head lamp from Ikea it was around £10 I think. it's L.E.D and quite bright made a huge difference, I put it on the shelve above my table.xx

Thanks. It feels like a true handicap and I'm nervous about my upcoming manicures...I have one this afteroon and a few during the week. They are my friends though and I'm doing them for free but I want them to be paying customers after the first round. I wont be doing any paid customers until I have had eyes tested to be 100%.

I will try and relax this afternoon and just hope she doesn't choose Fedora ;)
You very welcome hun and glad you getting there a few more and it'll all disappear xxxxx

Oh, just had a thought.
I have one client who says that my overhead florescent light makes her eyes water & sore as if straining, I think it is due to the flickering.
It helps when she wears her glasses.x

Latest posts

Back