Blush extension

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Didi

Reaction score
Hi

I have a few clients that like to have nail varnish over the top of their extension. They way i do this is to put a blush powder over, blend and then varnish on top - am i doing this right ? also they way i put the blush on is like the way i would be doing a permanent french - start at zone 1, 2 then 3 is this also right - or is there an easier way??

Didi
:D

Hi didi,

You can indeed work using just one colour of powder and in the way you describe ... the nail extension will last fine and be no worse off for it EXCEPT for this :

The extension will not be as pretty and we are in the business of enhancing nails to look beautiful not blaaaaah!

My question to you is this .... If you are still working in 3 zones, why not just use the white powder or even better in this case, the Perfect SOFT white powder and make those nails look beautiful at the same time? You may be thinking that "this client always wears polish so why bother"?

My answer to that is, why not bother! Why do a second rate service, when you can do a first rate service? When that `polish comes off, the nails should look beautiful. AND it gives the client another choiceshould she wish to take it. Why remove her right to choose? And why give her second rate when she is paying for first rate?

I made my name and reputation as a nail technician by ALWAYS doing pretty pink and white nails when others were taking the easy way out. I have never done an all pink extension in my life because to me they looked ugly and boring. My advice should you wish to take it is, don't compromise on standards or beauty ... ever. That will make your name in the business.

Thanks Geeg for the advice I have a few questions

The clients who have just polish dont like the pink and white - therefore thats why i have been doing a full blush - i am more than happy to do the pink and white all the time then put polish over the top - when you said use the perfect soft white powder did you mean just on the tip and then use the blush???

Also if I am doing a permanent french then putting polish over the top should i be charging more - at the moment i am charging £35 for blush then a polish over the top and £38 for permanant french

My concern is my clients dont like the per. french and therefore may not wish for this to be done - but obviously need to think about long term!!! how do i get over this hurdle??

The nails look nice at the end result but I havent gone back to do a rebalance yet!!! - As I am new to this profession i am always eager to do the best and take the best advice.

Also (maybe a silly question) could i use a blush and then use a coloure acrylic powder????? (mosaiac)???

The clients that i have been doing are really pleased with the results which i am soooooo happy about as i am new - but i want to make sure i am getting everything right

really appreciate the advice you are giving me - so much to learn

Didi

Hi Didi,

I, like you, have several clients who don't want pink and white. I use natural tip powder then perfect colour pink on the rest of the nail.

I do this the same was as a pink and white and it still needs the backfill as p&w but it looks more natural.

For whatever reason, some clients dont want to advertise the fact they are wearing nail enhancements - dont ask me why but that's the way it is LOL.

I personally dont like to see the white on clients who are wearing varnish, from the back.

Didi said:
when you said use the perfect soft white powder did you mean just on the tip and then use the blush???

Didi said:
Also if I am doing a permanent french then putting polish over the top should i be charging more -

Didi said:
My concern is my clients don't like the per. french

Didi said:
Also could i use a blush and then use a colour acrylic powder????? (mosaic)???

OK ... here goes.
1. Yes. Perfect Soft White is a beautiful powder that gives a more natural look and not so 'in your face' as the Perfect White Powder. No one could object to this look.

2. Charge for your time. I really shouldn't take you any more time to do a soft white tip or a blush tip. So that one is up to you. Many technicians always charge extra for a polish because it takes 10-15 minutes more of your time (if you do it right). Base coat, 2 colour, top coat.

3. Can't see why this is true as it is the most asked for service generally, but the fact is that many don't like the whiter than white look. Well we have alternatives from Perfect clear, Perfect Natural, Perfect Soft White and Perfect White, which can all be used over the tip to achieve a different look. Offering choices makes you look so professional. Create some of these nails on colour pops or tips on sticks, and show your clients what is on offer. Using them also makes your day more interesting.

4. Using coloured acrylic over the whole nail has, in my view, got some drawbacks. First you can no longer see the nail to check the health of it, and if something got started, you wouldn't see it. Second, it can grow 'old' very quickly in the eyes of the client and then you are into a soak off situation!! Too much of this is not a good thing.

So I hope I have given you some things to think about here. Try to look at the whole picture and at how you represent yourself to your customers.

Years ago (when I was a single parent of 2 small children) I offered Bed and Breakfast in my home. Now everyone around me that was also offering this service just offered an English Cooked Breakfast and nothing else. I thought no, I'll offer a full menu - American pancakes, scrambled, poached, boiled, omelets, porridge, cereal, fresh fruit, yoghurt - you get the picture?
Well most of the time the guests went for, guess what? English Breakfast .... But the important thing is I had the best reputation in the area because I offered a choice.

Thanks geeg

I will order some soft white now. Also what is the difference between the natural powder and the clear (just thinking what Fiona has said)

thanks again

Didi

Didi said:
Thanks geeg

I will order some soft white now. Also what is the difference between the natural powder and the clear (just thinking what Fiona has said)

thanks again

Didi

Hi Didi,

the clear is crystal clear and the natural is more opaque but not white - if that makes sense.

It makes perfect sense!!!!!! - maybe this could be a way of doing it rather than the white - but would this look as nice??

Sorry I am new to this (as if you hadnt guessed) and even though we are trained (and I cannot fault my trainer she is an absolute saint and star) we are not trained to over come little problems like this - thats why i think sam needs a HUGE medal for setting a site like this up especially for us beginners who can learn from people like yourself!!!!

Didi

Didi said:
It makes perfect sense!!!!!! - maybe this could be a way of doing it rather than the white - but would this look as nice??

Didi
The best thing to do, as Gigi says, is to try it and see what you like - get some small pots of all of the powders and try the different options - either do it on your nail trainer or just on to clear tips on sticks to see the different effects.

Thanks Fiona

Just out of interest how much do you charge for this???

Because i was thinking i was charging 35.00 for blush extension and 38.00 for per. french thats because i was only using the blush and then putting varnish over but if i was to use natural and blush surely this would be the same price as per. french but then i should be charging extra for polish?
(have i waffled) does this make sense or have i completely confused you?

With regards to pricing it is so hard to determine whether you are charging the right amount bearing in mind i am mobile!

Can you help on this one??????????????????????

Didi

I did a full set on a client last week, tips and blush overlay because that's what she wanted. I don't particularly like the look of it, but I wasn't going to give her permanent french either because she didn't want that. I would have preferred to sculpt them, but was wondering what they'd look like sculpted with just pink powder. The tips at least gave some semblance of a "real" nail underneath. She doesn't wear polish.

Rethinking the whole thing, would they have looked better using CND natural/transparent (not clear) powder for the entire extension? Somebody posted previously on this thread about doing the body of the nail with pink powder and the extension with natural? Does this look ok?? There are some clients who just don't like the look of pink and white white, no matter what we think. I am all for giving the client what they want, because if I don't they will find someone who will.

Laura

scratchmyback said:

Rethinking the whole thing, would they have looked better using CND natural/transparent (not clear) powder for the entire extension? Somebody posted previously on this thread about doing the body of the nail with pink powder and the extension with natural? Does this look ok?? There are some clients who just don't like the look of pink and white white, no matter what we think. I am all for giving the client what they want, because if I don't they will find someone who will.

Laura

I use more natural than white as that is what most of my clients want - as you say we have to give the clients what they want rather than what we want. Using pink or natural as a sculpting medium gives a poor result as the nail tip is too transparent. We need to have a natural tip powder which gives the appearance of a tip but is not as white as the Soft White - I have tried loads and end up always using tips instead of sculpting.

Why don't you try mixing the Soft White with the Natural until you get the colour you want??

Nothing wrong with getting a little Creative and trying something out for yourself now is there.

Thanks for your replies...I was thinking that Geeg, to try mixing the two and see what the result is. I'll let you know!

Laura

geeg said:
OK ... here goes.
1. Yes. Perfect Soft White is a beautiful powder that gives a more natural look and not so 'in your face' as the Perfect White Powder. No one could object to this look.

Geeg tried this look and love it why i had never bought the soft white powder before i do not know :oops: but very glad i have now :thumbsup:

geeg.... you beat me to it!!
i mix all my powders and the mix of soft white & natural is the one i use the most for the reasons talked about already.
i've also got a few different ratios of the mix ( s.white/nat.) ie varying densities.
the other reason i use it, is when i'm extending a nail just a little bit & the client doesn't wear white & pink.
the look of a tip with a pink or natural overlay is usually freindly to look at underneath.
the problem with sculpting the odd broken nail with a transparent powder is that if they use an enamel it looks v.obvious from the back, & if they prefer their nails buffed to a high shine, it will b transparent on the end.
by using the mix of s.white/nat. these problems r banished :D

it's v.rare that i don't entirely agree with geeg, but in my experience, if they r done immaculately natural pink/clear overlays look gorgeous & r v.popular :D
lol liza xx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back