Bodyshop

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JemmaBeauty

Reaction score
Not so much a question but more of a rant I suppose.

One of my friends in an at home Bodyshop Consultant Manager and does VERY well from it.

She recently recruited one of our friends. This is a friend who knows NOTHING about skincare, makeup and products. She decided she wanted to give it a go whilst she's furloughed as a teacher, purely to earn some extra money. She got her kit 2 days later, and within 24 hours she's doing Facebook videos on skincare :rolleyes:. She's built a group up in a matter of days, giving advice on mature skin and rosacea o_O, doing tutorials and recommending products to help skin concerns. She had hundreds of views and likes, and comments from people asking for help with their skin. I was so shocked! Her videos aren't good btw, but I almost think people like that - like she's relatable??

On top of that, she's just started following my business Instagram page (funny that) and has pretty much copied my posts from the last 2 days.

I suppose I'm a bit jealous that she's doing so well SO QUICKLY when she knows so little and has such little interest in the industry. I have an NVQ + multiple qualifications and 5 years expertise, use amazing products but struggle to retail. But mainly I'm angry at what the beauty industry finds acceptable now. I don't know how Bodyshop think this is ok? She's done no courses yet, so how can she advise anyone on their skin concerns?

And before anyone tells me not to worry about what anyone else is doing. I think people should be worried at what is happening to our industry. Also sick of seeing people doing one day courses with no previous qualifications, then classing themselves as a skin expert and charging stupidly low prices. Whats going on?!!

Hi I will comment on the people who do 1 day courses and then open a salon. I studied at college to be a beauty therapist, then I studied complementary therapies. I don’t believe a 1 day course teaches you very much at all, you don’t get lots of clients in as you do a student at college to practice on. I think this devalues the industry. You can’t do a 1 day course to be a dentist so why can you to be a therapist.
I found the retailing side hard as most clients want to go online and buy their skincare/tanning products from a website. I use to love the industry but now hate it as everyone knows an aunt or a friend who has done a short nail course, it makes it harder for the professionals who have trained hard and have experience to make a decent living, hence the reason why I left a while ago to pursue a different career.
The Bodyshop model is for people to make a percentage on what they sell and lots of people do it for extra cash. It’s one of these things, like partylite etc .....

I will also add that in my experience I do have a few clients that "use " me for waxing , because their friend does a bit of nails and lashes on the side, and obviously can't wax. The friend has a full time job in an office for a bit of money on the side btw.

This naffs me off, I have had huge amounts of experience in all my trade over the years and I get faced with the following possibility.

Will these clients want to suddenly jump ship and want "me" because I will have all the ppe in place for when I recommence???? Their friend may not follow our strict protocols, so will they feel safer coming to me? I don't want to accept them for anything other than their usual wax treatment on principle. What would you do?
Any suggestions anyone if I get asked ?

Hi RosieR I would definitely take the nail clients who usually use a friend, make sure you charge them accordingly (sure their pal will do them cheaper/quality of products may not be professional). See it as a business transaction, money into your business x

Thankyou for your honest reply. I do think I can just look at the money aspect and get what I can.
They will not be first on my list when the time comes, I will make them wait .

I doubt very much that your friend is making any serious money as it’s all just show in the MLM selling world.

“boss babe” “living your best life”

In 2017, NuSkin had 90,000 distrubutors in Europe.
89% of distributors made £0.00 commission. (86,330 people)
1.09% made around £809 a month (981 people)
0.04% were making £18k a month - that’s just 36 people out of 97,000 flogging the products.

The Bodyshop at home is just another MLM company. Google it for confirmation.

98.5% of People who get sucked into these schemes lose money and friends.

A good BBC documentary about MLM/Pyramid schemes.

I don’t see a problem with this. It’s exactly the same as when someone goes into the body shop and asks about products; they’re just retail staff. Also, I’m assuming you don’t know what training they’re given? I know someone who does treatments exclusively with another MLM brand who are famous for their blue bottle! It’s easy for her to sell and she thinks their training on the products is excellent.

If you really think that she’s making a fortune and copying all that you do then you could always buy a starter kit and do it too.

Some good advice on here.
She won't be successfully treating skin conditions with Body Shop products and she needs to be very careful about her claims, especially about treating things like rosacea and acne which are medical conditions.
As said, so much of MLM is the hype, and so much 'success' and so many followers is often in house, so other retailers supposedly supporting each other's business - this doesn't work btw. Training may be good, but do they have a strong foundation of what products and compounds actually make a difference to the skin? It's all about retail and this isn't a professional, prescribed brand.
I look at what others do and often it spurs me on to do better. I get infuriated when 'influencers' who have basically done sweet fa have thousands of followers and are telling people what products to use.

Having said all of the above, I've just had a new client come to us because the salon she's using that is Environ, like us, has given her shocking advice and completely wrong products so even the pros can be totally crap [emoji849]

Vic x

I don’t see a problem with this. It’s exactly the same as when someone goes into the body shop and asks about products; they’re just retail staff. Also, I’m assuming you don’t know what training they’re given? I know someone who does treatments exclusively with another MLM brand who are famous for their blue bottle! It’s easy for her to sell and she thinks their training on the products is excellent.

If you really think that she’s making a fortune and copying all that you do then you could always buy a starter kit and do it too.

I do know the training, because its my friends who are selling it. They are provided with courses on the products which I believe is very in-depth. However, the friend spouting off the skincare advice hasn't done any courses yet, Bodyshop sent out her starter pack without any training and are happy for her to sell straight away. I think there is something wrong with this, especially when some of what she said was completely incorrect advice - like using a mask to 'close pores' and using tea tree facial wash to help rosacea. She has no prior knowledge, experience or qualifications in this field.

Like I said it was just a rant. I don't think its ok, so no I won't be copying.

Some good advice on here.
She won't be successfully treating skin conditions with Body Shop products and she needs to be very careful about her claims, especially about treating things like rosacea and acne which are medical conditions.
As said, so much of MLM is the hype, and so much 'success' and so many followers is often in house, so other retailers supposedly supporting each other's business - this doesn't work btw. Training may be good, but do they have a strong foundation of what products and compounds actually make a difference to the skin? It's all about retail and this isn't a professional, prescribed brand.
I look at what others do and often it spurs me on to do better. I get infuriated when 'influencers' who have basically done sweet fa have thousands of followers and are telling people what products to use.

Having said all of the above, I've just had a new client come to us because the salon she's using that is Environ, like us, has given her shocking advice and completely wrong products so even the pros can be totally crap [emoji849]

Vic x

Thank you. Needed to see the bigger picture that this is probably not going to be a long term venture for her - and I actually don't think she intents for it to be. So it is what it is. Like you say, just frustrating when you work hard, spend thousands on training, only to have people influenced by people who don't know anything. My job is my life, and I'm only 5 years in, with a successful business, so I'll keep plugging away :)

Not so much a question but more of a rant I suppose.

One of my friends in an at home Bodyshop Consultant Manager and does VERY well from it.

She recently recruited one of our friends. This is a friend who knows NOTHING about skincare, makeup and products. She decided she wanted to give it a go whilst she's furloughed as a teacher, purely to earn some extra money. She got her kit 2 days later, and within 24 hours she's doing Facebook videos on skincare :rolleyes:. She's built a group up in a matter of days, giving advice on mature skin and rosacea o_O, doing tutorials and recommending products to help skin concerns. She had hundreds of views and likes, and comments from people asking for help with their skin. I was so shocked! Her videos aren't good btw, but I almost think people like that - like she's relatable??

On top of that, she's just started following my business Instagram page (funny that) and has pretty much copied my posts from the last 2 days.

I suppose I'm a bit jealous that she's doing so well SO QUICKLY when she knows so little and has such little interest in the industry. I have an NVQ + multiple qualifications and 5 years expertise, use amazing products but struggle to retail. But mainly I'm angry at what the beauty industry finds acceptable now. I don't know how Bodyshop think this is ok? She's done no courses yet, so how can she advise anyone on their skin concerns?

And before anyone tells me not to worry about what anyone else is doing. I think people should be worried at what is happening to our industry. Also sick of seeing people doing one day courses with no previous qualifications, then classing themselves as a skin expert and charging stupidly low prices. Whats going on?!!

Hi Jemma,

Which skincare brand do you use?

S x

Latest posts

Back