Bone Marrow Donor

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sharon Green

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just wanted to tell you all my news. I am on the Anthony Nolan Trust Bone Marrow Donor register and have been told that i am a partial tissue match to someone who needs a bone marrow transplant. I am due to have a blood test on Tuesday morning so that it can be tested further. I joined the register way back in the late 80's when there was a national campaign for people to join.

I will keep you all updated on what is happening. When the guy phoned me last Thursday and asked were there any dates in the next 2 months that I would not be available the only one I gave was 2nd March because it is the 4th day of my Creative Four Day Foundation course & exam day!!

If anyone else is interested in joining the register the web address is as follows:-
www.anthonynolan.org.uk

The more donors that are on the register the more people with leukemia can be helped. I'm sure that there are some Geeks out there who would like to help.

Sharon x

Hiya Sharon,
Like you i am also on the donor register. Been on it for about 12 years now, A friend have cancer and needed a donor so we were all tested and registed.
Sadly he died but his wife was thrilled thats some many people helped others like him have a chance.
I hope all goes well for you, and that maybe you will be able to give someone a chance of survival.

I think you must be a wonderful person to make this sacrifice. I don't truly know what is involved, but I think it is wonderful that you may just save someone's life by your actions. How great is that???

Let us know how you get on sharon if you are a match or not. I have never been called, but my husband has twice gone for a blood test, but each time that is as far as it went!

best of luck
Sue x

Well done. You're amazing, its a wonderful selfless thing to do. I also think your post will have inspired a few other people (like me) to register. So you will have helped the cause even further.

Good luck next week. I'll be thinking of you.

Well done for registering - and all the best for the tests next week :)

My friend from work donated her bone marrow for a 10 year old girl about 3 years ago and inspired loads of us to register with the Trust.

She receives lots of letters and pictures from the recipient and its lovely to see her doing so well and thriving more and more every day - it's quite humbling really.

It's an amazing and selfless thing to do - well done

Tina
xx

Hi hun!

Well done you must be really pleased. I've wanted to do that since I heard about the Children With Leaukeamia Trust. I did a cabaret to raise money for them 2 years ago, and we tryed encouraging people to sign up. Unfortunatley some people were too scared and said they didn't want to have a scar etc.

I think it is a totally worthwhile thing to do and you should be really proud of yourself. :)

Hi guys,

Thanks for all your sentiments. The blood test was a bit of an ordeal as the needles sent were not the type nurses up here are used to! I ended up having 4 different puncture wounds! They filled up 11 test tubes with blood and I have a couple of multi coloured bruises to show for it! But I think it is a great cause and if I can raise interest and get just 1 new person to join the register then thats brilliant.

I should know either way in about 8 - 12 weeks and will let you know how I get on.

Sharon

ella said:
I think you must be a wonderful person to make this sacrifice. I don't truly know what is involved, but I think it is wonderful that you may just save someone's life by your actions. How great is that???
I agree 100% - what courage on all sides!!

What can I say!!! The way I see it is like this...it is only a small price for me to pay (bit of an aching bum I think after donating) to help someone who may be dying....at least if I do nothing else whilst on the planet then at least I tried to make a small contribution and hopefully helped.

Sharon

Is this Glorias mum? Well done Sharon you are so brave - its a fantastic thing you are doing, its a shame there aren't more of you around. I'm too big a wimp, but its certainly made me think about this now. Well done, as well as helping someone youve also raised awareness. Maybe more will come forward now. karen

Sharon Green said:
Hi guys,

Thanks for all your sentiments. The blood test was a bit of an ordeal as the needles sent were not the type nurses up here are used to! I ended up having 4 different puncture wounds! They filled up 11 test tubes with blood and I have a couple of multi coloured bruises to show for it! But I think it is a great cause and if I can raise interest and get just 1 new person to join the register then thats brilliant.

I should know either way in about 8 - 12 weeks and will let you know how I get on.

Sharon

Well if any of you find the thought of donating bone marrow too much, how about donating blood? Only 2% of people do this, and you will still be saving peoples lives, i know, it has saved mine!

Sue xx

Sharon Green said:
Hi all,

Just wanted to tell you all my news. I am on the Anthony Nolan Trust Bone Marrow Donor register and have been told that i am a partial tissue match to someone who needs a bone marrow transplant. I am due to have a blood test on Tuesday morning so that it can be tested further. I joined the register way back in the late 80's when there was a national campaign for people to join.

I will keep you all updated on what is happening. When the guy phoned me last Thursday and asked were there any dates in the next 2 months that I would not be available the only one I gave was 2nd March because it is the 4th day of my Creative Four Day Foundation course & exam day!!

If anyone else is interested in joining the register the web address is as follows:-
www.anthonynolan.org.uk

The more donors that are on the register the more people with leukemia can be helped. I'm sure that there are some Geeks out there who would like to help.

Sharon x
Hello there,
Thats fab news hope everything works out for you. I'm Hermans wife and both me and Herman are on the register as my hubbies nephew needed a transplant this time last year, unfortunatley we were not a match and sadly he passed away in April last year, he was 16 years old.Ithink more people should be on the register it could benifit loads of needy people
Good Luck & take care
Amanda :lol:

Hi all,

Yes Coral Nails it's me (that's part of the reason why I have taken my time sending 'Gloria' to you).

I still haven't heard anything from the Anthony Nolan Trust but when I do you will all know about it.

Sharon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back