Booth rental owner questions

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

supercad55

Reaction score
I'm in San Diego California and i have no experience in the hair salon or nail business. I will only be offering booth rent for 3 booths for hair and 2 booths for nails with space to add one of each. My rent to the owner of the building would be $750 with water included. Can anyone help me with what i should and shouldn't be doing as a booth rent owner? Towels, coffee, advertisements? Or do i just provide the space? I know i have taxes, electric, insurance what other expenses will i have to cover monthly? Any advice on owning a booth rental salon would be helpful. Rents are about $500 month for the area

Can I ask why would you be renting out booths for beauty and hair when you have no experience in it? ... x

Can I ask why would you be renting out booths for beauty and hair when you have no experience in it? ... x
It's just like an NBA owner buying a basketball team it's to make money. Most never played sports

Erm, no, it’s not really.
You do realise that owners of football teams employ managers and coaches to manage the team members?

Do you have any business management experience at all?
Seriously, there’s an awful lot more to owning a successful salon than renting out chairs to qualified staff and opening the doors to the public.

If you do nothing else, try to watch this episode of Tabatha’s Salon Takeover - Season 3, Episode 2 Christopher Hill Salon
The owners here were MBA graduates from Harvard and thought they knew everything about making money from owning your own business.
They were badly mistaken!

Honestly, in my humble opinion, unless you work IN the business it's almost impossible to make a decent profit these days in the industry. Just managing it is a huge headache, one that I considered, but when I did the math it doesn't make it worthwhile. Far better ventures out there.

The hardest bit is getting good employees. Good pay doesn't even seem to make this happen. You can read countless posts on here about people who continuously struggle to find staff.

It's just like an NBA owner buying a basketball team it's to make money. Most never played sports
I feel it would be better if you want to make money make it in an industry your trained in.
I personally would never rent a booth from someone who doesn’t have qualifications in the industry ( don’t mean that to sound nasty just being honest). Beauty isn’t to painting s nail pink and talking about going our holidays, we need to train in the knowledge of the human anatomy and physiology, understand products and there ingredients, know why and how what we are doing at every stage of every single treatment we carry out, along with all of that we do it with a smile on face no matter what our client is like.

You can expect to sit back and let the money roll in from qualified therapists when in reality you don’t know the ins and out of the beauty world. X

Honestly, in my humble opinion, unless you work IN the business it's almost impossible to make a decent profit these days in the industry. Just managing it is a huge headache, one that I considered, but when I did the math it doesn't make it worthwhile. Far better ventures out there.

The hardest bit is getting good employees. Good pay doesn't even seem to make this happen. You can read countless posts on here about people who continuously struggle to find staff.
Thank you great information. My biggest concern is the renters not getting along and managing multiple personalities while not being in the salon. I like the numbers and passive investment but if there's drama which is possible from what I've read It won't be as passive as I thought

Latest posts

Back