Boss dictating gratuity

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Danster

Reaction score
hi everyone

I’ve just got out of a staff meeting and something isn’t sitting right with me.

We are all going to have to pool our tips to pay for staff days out!!

And when this was questioned the response was......”well if you want extra money then hit your targets, this is how it’s going to be and I’m not budging, if you don’t then I’m to assume that you don’t want to be involved in team events and in that case, you should leave” !!!!

Am I right in thinking this is not right??

Any advice much appreciated
Xxx

I don’t think he can dictate what happens to your individual tips but give ACAS a call and see what they advise.

I don’t think he can dictate what happens to your individual tips but give ACAS a call and see what they advise.
Thanks, I will do

Their attitude stinks. Sounds very manipulative and unable to have a mature discussion about genuine concerns. I wouldn't want to work there.

I wouldn't want to work there either. So who is going to declare them and pay tax on them? Salon owner?

this is wrong. some staff members will no doubt get more tips than an apprentice, for example.
this sounds like a ploy to get you all to work harder hitting targets, will the commission for said targets be more or less than what your average weekly earnings are in tips?
if all staff are against this decision, unite yourselves and put it to your boss that you don't want this to happen. he/she cant sack ALL of you!
a good leader is one who will take on board constructive criticism and listen to all your needs and negotiate and communicate accordingly.
i personally rely on my tips to boost my earnings and without them i'd be up shit street lol
i'm most some staff members will feel the same

this is wrong. some staff members will no doubt get more tips than an apprentice, for example.
this sounds like a ploy to get you all to work harder hitting targets, will the commission for said targets be more or less than what your average weekly earnings are in tips?
if all staff are against this decision, unite yourselves and put it to your boss that you don't want this to happen. he/she cant sack ALL of you!
a good leader is one who will take on board constructive criticism and listen to all your needs and negotiate and communicate accordingly.
i personally rely on my tips to boost my earnings and without them i'd be up shit street lol
i'm most some staff members will feel the same
Everyone’s tips are to be saved to fund team building days!! And believe me these are the most awkward things ever!!
I and another team member live off our tips through the week but, even though this has been stated, no!!
I’ve looked on ACAS website and it states there that, in a nutshell, a tip is our property as it has been given to us directly by our client...

Everyone’s tips are to be saved to fund team building days!! And believe me these are the most awkward things ever!!
I and another team member live off our tips through the week but, even though this has been stated, no!!
I’ve looked on ACAS website and it states there that, in a nutshell, a tip is our property as it has been given to us directly by our client...

is it only two of you that feel this way? if other members of the team cant unite then i would seriously consider taking your talents elsewhere x

Latest posts

Back