Boss issues, constructive advice please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

So I'm in a bit of a sticky situation, I moved to New Zealand 6 months ago with the intention to travel, however last month I landed myself an amazing job as 'senior therapist' in a beauty salon which is a sub-business to a hair salon (but in a different building) so I decided I would stay here and work my dream job. When I got this job my boss & I said if all goes well she will help me get my work visa.

Now the situation is a little different- my boss is driving me bloody crazy & the job is nothing like I thought. I was under the impression I would be here with 2 other girls yet I am working by myself, I am not managing anything, I am receiving no support from my boss in promoting the salon (which has only been open 1 year and yet people still come in saying 'oh I didn't know you were here'), and she wants to run the beauty salon the same way you run a hair salon.

My boss is a hairdresser and I'm not wanting to insult and hairdressers out there because you're all amazing and I admire you- but I feel as my boss is not a beauty therapist she should not be trying to run a beauty salon. The treatment menu is so limited & she wants everything to be 'express', I want to change some things yet she doesn't understand why. I was told I'd be on minimum wage + commission however I only earn commission if i make over a certain amount, which has not yet happened and is not going to happen.

She is now wanting to cut my hours due to the lack of business & I'm reaching the end of my tether. I don't want to leave as it makes me start all over again in regards of my visa etc but how do I put this across to her without sounding like a b*tch?? Or am I the one in the wrong??

Needed a rant, thanks in advance.

Leave!
She’s painted a picture that bears no resemblance to reality and dangling the Visa like a carrot to ensure your loyalty but what are you really getting out of it? Some salon owners make poor choices because they don’t really understand how to run a successful business and cut corners hoping it will lead to bigger profits.

(Why would you take a good 3 years training to be a hairdresser but spend virtually no time learning how to effectively run a salon business, managing staff etc. It makes no sense to me.)

Think of this experience as a learning opportunity and go back to travelling.

Leave!
She’s painted a picture that bears no resemblance to reality and dangling the Visa like a carrot to ensure your loyalty but what are you really getting out of it? Some salon owners make poor choices because they don’t really understand how to run a successful business and cut corners hoping it will lead to bigger profits.

(Why would you take a good 3 years training to be a hairdresser but spend virtually no time learning how to effectively run a salon business, managing staff etc. It makes no sense to me.)

Think of this experience as a learning opportunity and go back to travelling.

Thanks!! Glad to know I'm not the one in the wrong!! She runs a very sucessful hair salon and the girls up there love her!! Just the beauty side of things it feels she doesn't care for :( I'll start looking for new jobs- can't afford to travel atm haha whoops. Thank you :**

Leave! You said you took it & stopped traveling as it was your dream job... well, its not your dream job is it?

Xx

She will not help you get your visa, she won't even pay you properly. She is taking advantage of you and will continue to do so by the sounds of her behaviour. I'm a salon owner and wouldn't dream of treating anyone in my employ like that. There is something much better right round the corner, take the leap and get out quickly!.

HI everyone!! So after my car breaking down and her complete lack of empathy and general shitty-ness, I reached my limit. So I have applied, been offered and accepted a new job. A more spa like environment which is managed by a beauty therapist. It has all happened in the space of a week and I'm feeling much more positive!! Fingers crossed it works out. thank you all xx

There is something much better right round the corner, take the leap and get out quickly!.

Wow, that was an accurate prediction! Do you read tea leaves too? ;):D

Wow, that was an accurate prediction! Do you read tea leaves too? ;):D

Ha ha, I wish!. I'm just old! and have been through this and seen it in others so many times. But if you want a free reading call 0800 ...... ;)

Congratulations to yourbohobeautygirl, I hope your new job brings you lots of happiness.

Latest posts

Back