Boss says I can't do beauty mobile?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hannah1991

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I just wanted a little bit of advice. I am currently job sharing with another therapist which means that I work only on a Tuesday, Friday (3-7) and a Saturday. This job share isn't ideal for me, but I understand how hard it is to find a job within a salon and am glad of the experience. The other therapist has other commitments, however I don't and I am struggling financially.

My boss has said in a roundabout way that I mustn't do any Beauty outside of work for myself. My intention is not to take any clients out of the salon of course but start to build my own client base :sad:

My boss has a lot of contacts and I'm sure via word of mouth or me advertising on Facebook etc she would find out if I was providing treatments outside of work.

What should I do?

It's a pretty standard contract clause - and one that is important in this industry.

Please understand that your boss has invested heavily in time, energy and money to grow her business from fledgling to successful and to be able to create jobs and she will be apprehensive that you want to come straight in and take a piece of this away (not saying you are).

Do you live in the same area as you work? You will be best to consult a lawyer for the most up to date information but you will likely have to accept that you will not be able to do both at the same time.

If you were to leave then it is unlikely that she can enforce this on you as it may be an unreasonable contract, but going from having a job and regular income to having nothing - especially when you are already struggling - is not advisable.

Remember your employer is just trying to safeguard you and your colleagues' income.

I wish you good luck for the future.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

I highly doubt you would get an employer to be happy about you being mobile. Even if you dont intend on pinching clients.

I live 9.2 miles from my salon & I have started mobile 18 months ago. I didnt tell employer, & Ive just been cutting my hours as my mobile work gets busier.

I dont cover the area where the salon is, I travel the opposite way. My boss (I was only ever employed part time) knows I have another part time job (caring) & Just thinks I have taken on more hours there as its better paid per hour.

It sounds as if you are closer to your salon than I am. Just be careful & be prepared to loose your job if they find out. It is pretty standard not to allow you to work mobile. Xx

Latest posts

Back