Botox training for beauty therapists?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BotoxBoy

Reaction score
How do you feel about promoting botox training for beauty therapists?

Despite the prescription only drugs manufacturers, including Allergan (makers of botox) own advice, stating that botox must not be administered by beauty therapists, a company has decided to launch an new website encouraging people to sign up!

Whatever anyone thinks for or against BT's doing botox, the fact that the manufacturers specifically say it is not to be be administered by them. Therefore, even if you out the clients safety to one side for a second, think of what would happen if there were a court case.

Take this example, a client tries to sue a BT as something went wrong with a procedure. The BT thinks its fine as they have 'insurance'. The case gets to court and the prosecution reads out to the court verbatim that Allergan, the origina makers of botox who sell it all over the world, that they specifically state their product must NOT ve injected by beauty therapists.

Now insurance or no insurance, no judge in the land is going to let the BT off with that are they?

It is personally, professionally and morally negligent for ANYONE specifically listed as someone who must not inject a medicine, to go ahead and inject it for profit.

Not only this, the industry is also clamping down on this with training events now restricted to those with a professional registration number.

A one day, one week or even six month course (which you wont find, anywhere) CANNOT EVER replace the minimum 3 -5 years training in university in a broad range of clinical settings plus the three years (at least) post qualifying experience needed to then re-train to do aesthetic medicine.

I don't care how many NVQ level whatsits or diplomas in skin dippydedodahs you may or may not have, 8 years in clinical training cannot be circumvented for anyone who feels like paying £600 for a 'course' and then feels they are competent. Its ridiculous!

Worst of all, clients are put at risk and this will increasingly seen as criminally negligent. Is it REALLY worth it?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd like to add that NOT A SINGLE one of the manufacturers of botulinum toxin or dermal fillers in the UK support its use by non-medically trained injectors.

Surely there is a reason for this or else they would sell their lucrative treatments to everyone.

I'm also not saying that there are more complications from non-medically trained injectors. However, the risk is there and they would be unable to deal with a severe allergic reaction, for example, if this were to happen when they were on their own with a client.

What would you do? ring 999 and hope for the best?

Naturally, you make some very valid points Adam.

I'd be far too afraid to have anyone inject anything into my face lol, but if I was ever to have a procedure done, I would want a medically qualified person to do so.

Naturally, you make some very valid points Adam.

I'd be far too afraid to have anyone inject anything into my face lol, but if I was ever to have a procedure done, I would want a medically qualified person to do so.

Exactly... 9 years training and experience vs a one or two day course...

wow :eek:

i agree i would only want a medically trained person to administer my treatment
i have been in a few beauty salons were the staff are so unprofessional and sorry to say 'bad' and i hate the thoughts of them let loose with botox etc.......

Thoughts re a physio doing Botox and fillers & a podiatrist as there are two near me .

Botox Boy, I couldnt agree more..there are already a few threads on here regards BTs injecting botox and fillers, Geeks asking whether they should do a three day course in how to perform these treatments etc. Its madness, I made the point not long ago that I have seen some horrendous pictures of botched eye extensions etc on here....is it ok that the same people who did this could potentially pay to do a 3 day course to inject botox?? Can you imagine? Yes there are some amazingly knowledgable BT's out there who are very highly trained and who probably could competantly inject botox, but in my mind if this is what you want to do then go train to be a nurse. I agree also with the after care side of botox...what to do if something goes wrong, which is rare I know but can happen, I really dont think that a BT should be allowed to perform any kind of injectable treatment.
Tinax

Thoughts re a physio doing Botox and fillers & a podiatrist as there are two near me .

I think this is ok as they are registered, regulated professionals with a science degree.

In fact physios have a massively in depth knowledge of anatomy and physiology

Personally i think only doctors and dentists should inject this kinda stuff. I wouldnt let a nurse do it let alone a BT or someone with a science degree !

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

Totally agree only doctors dentists or surgeons should be allowed as a science degree doesn't really mean anything (sorry if this offends anyone it's not meant to) what's next? Pharmacists? No to beauty therapists or nurses for me Ive seen too many people with bad Botox I personally think there's too many nurses just cashing in on being allowed to administer Botox
Just my opinion though

i am a physio (BSC Honors degree in physiotherapy, not science! continue to have a private clinic 1 night alongside my now full time hair business, and physio is a protected name, you can only call yourself a physio if you have completed the honors or masters course in physiotherapy, and are a member of the health professions council) and wonder where exactly physio and botox mix, other than to relieve spasmodic muscles in say a patient with cerebal palsy...... its just not something i would say goes with physio for cosmetic reasons!! dont get me wrong we could do it, our anatomy and physiology knowledge is ace (toot toot theres my trumpet!) and some of us inject into joint cavities to relieve pain (looooong post grad course) however cosmetic injections just seem strange.
And this is only my opinion, but my opinion as a fully qualified 11years total experienced physio. i would like at least a nurse to be doing it! also, i wouldnt let anyone other than a dentist lighten my teeth......

I think a podiatrist injecting in the feet (to reduce Hyperhidrosis) is okay... For cosmetic purposes on the face? Not sure if I'd want that. Podiatry degrees don't really cover the facial muscles.

When I say 'science' degree I am distinguishing from the rubbish degrees out there.

And when I say physio and podiatrists I say I agree with them doing it because they are registered and regulated by a professional body in a similar way that doctors, nurses and dentists are.

This provides a better level of protection for clients whereas they get none from BT's.

Totally agree... but I still wouldn't want a Podiatrist injecting me in the face.

Personally i think only doctors and dentists should inject this kinda stuff. I wouldnt let a nurse do it let alone a BT or someone with a science degree !

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

I'd be interested to see why you don't think nurses should be allowed?

Do you know that doctors don't actually inject patients anymore? 99% of injections in the NHS are done by nurses.

I've got a BSc honours degree and Masters degree in nursing and have got 9 years experience!

A doctor can easily go through medical school and their career with injecting experience of only one or two patients and this would most likely be intravenous injections through a cannula in the patients veins. Therefore nothing like the subcutaneous or intramuscular injections required for Botox and fillers!

I am far more experienced than a doctor both in injecting patients and prescribing medicines through my experience as well as additional training.

Who would you prefer, a doctor who's never injected before and had no formal training on prescribing medicines (it isn't covered in medical school) or a nurse who has all the relevant training and experience?

And surgeons... Don't even go there! They do even less injecting!

Pps doctors in my day job will come to me to ask me to reach them how to inject and you will find ALL the teaching of injections whether it's through a cannula, intramuscular or subcutaneous, is done by nurses in the NHS regardless of whether it's teaching other nurses or doctors!

Should they stop immediately?

Never underestimate the advanced clinical skills and experience of nurses today, we go through such rigorous training it's almost unbelievable!

When I say 'science' degree I am distinguishing from the rubbish degrees out there.

I get what you saying but I think you are very arrogant.

Rubbish degrees...

In that case most people in this forum have "rubbish degrees", they are just beauty therapist, hairdresser and nail technician.

Last edited:
Is there anywhere I can find local qualified and licensed Botox nurses?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back