Bottle hair colour

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

user 143741

Reaction score
Hi, can anyone tell me if shop bought permanent hair can be kept for next time?

I use it in between visits to my hairdresser to do my roots but only use half a bottle. Can it be kept for next time and if so for how long etc?

Hi, can anyone tell me if shop bought permanent hair can be kept for next time?

I use it in between visits to my hairdresser to do my roots but only use half a bottle. Can it be kept for next time and if so for how long etc?
How does your hairdresser feel about that?
Once hair colour is mixed it has to be used immediately. So no it can't be kept.

What do you mean.....how does my hairdresser feel about it?

What do you mean.....how does my hairdresser feel about it?
How does your hairdresser feel about you using box colour to touch up your roots in between appointments? I'm just curious.

How are they supposed to feel? Am
I wrong doing it? My hairdresser is fine about it! I go every 6 weeks and have done so for 15 years or more! Have you a problem with it??

How are they supposed to feel? Am
I wrong doing it? My hairdresser is fine about it! I go every 6 weeks and have done so for 15 years or more! Have you a problem with it??
I was just curious that's all. I just wonder how beneficial a professional colour is, if you will be putting box colour on it between salon visits. Obviously as professionals we don't condone the use of home hair colour. But I also understand that some people have no other option. But I'm not quite sure how alternating the two benefits you or your hairdresser?

It’s very beneficial....it covers any greys I have coming through. I only do the root area....not the whole head! It doesn’t disturb the balance when I go to the hairdresser and she is ok with it! I suppose the difference is that my hairdresser does a great job when she does my hair and always takes the box colour into consideration when she does my roots! Still not sure what you are getting at! Nobody gets hurt! It’s not against the law and it’s MY hair! My hairdresser gets paid handsomely plus tip! Win win situation! Question: why don’t you condone box colour??

It’s very beneficial....it covers any greys I have coming through. I only do the root area....not the whole head! It doesn’t disturb the balance when I go to the hairdresser and she is ok with it! I suppose the difference is that my hairdresser does a great job when she does my hair and always takes the box colour into consideration when she does my roots! Still not sure what you are getting at! Nobody gets hurt! It’s not against the law and it’s MY hair! My hairdresser gets paid handsomely plus tip! Win win situation! Question: why don’t you condone box colour??
At no point did I suggest that anyone was going to get hurt or that it was illegal. Box dyes contain a very high amount of harsh chemicals, some ingredients that can put barriers on the hair, and some chemicals that can cause an exothermic chemical reaction when they come in to contact with Hydrogen Peroxide. Box colours are also known to be inconsistent with depth and shade, even if you buy the exact same colour every time. What you do is up to, and if it suits you that's fine. :) All I wanted to know was how it benefited you, no need to get defensive.
If I was your hairdresser, I would try and come up with a solution, so that you wouldn't have to colour your hair yourself inbetween visits :)

Last edited:
Maybe you should look at the way you posed your questions. Very intimidating! I was doing nothing wrong apart from asking a perfectly simple question you’re questioning made me feel like I was doing something wrong! No reply needed!!

I'm sorry you felt like that. That was not my intention at all. I was just curious, to see it from your point of view. I was just interested in why you do it.

I stated why I do it......to hide my roots! Millions of people do it in between visits to the salon! It's not really that difficult to understand.......or maybe it is!

I stated why I do it......to hide my roots! Millions of people do it in between visits to the salon! It's not really that difficult to understand.......or maybe it is!
To be honest, I don't like it when my clients use cheap box colour between their visits, it cheapen the look of my colour, is difficult to lift when they inevitably get harsh banding.
Don't be disrespectful to other members here asking for advise when we have spent years learning our skills.
Getting on my nerves with your defensive attitude.
Why would we want to advise anyone how to use home colours?

*sorry Admin

I didn't ask for advice asking how to use box colour to be fair......only if it could be kept! If I'm defensive its because I have felt the need to be so!

I didn't ask for advice asking how to use box colour to be fair......only if it could be kept! If I'm defensive its because I have felt the need to be so!

To be fair you are asking about a box dye. As professionals we are trained in professional lines. Believe it or not professional colour does behave differently to shop bought colour. Cant really be expecting to get technical information on the guidelines of a non professional colour from someone trained in professional colour. You probably have more information at your disposal than any of us as I’m sure the box comes with instructions.

It’s against site rules to offer technical colour advice to a diy-er so I’m going to close this thread here as we’re unable to help you further.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back