Bottles open to let solvents evaporate for a thicker consistency

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barbara1505

Reaction score
Good morning Geeks,

has anyone experiences?

In one thread (Shellac colours who need three coats) was the suggestion to let the bottles open for a time to let solvents evaporate in case of colours with very thin consistence.

Has anyone done this and what are the experiences? Is there perhaps an average time to let the bottles open?

I don`t want to try it for myself without any experience from you, I am a little bit fearfully to ruin my shellac :sad:

Thanks for your advice!

Last edited:
That sounds absolutely mad to me and a recipe for disaster. I would never risk completely ruining my Shellac :eek:

I wouldn't do it either. Shake the bottle really well and if the consistency still seems thin, use an orange wood stick, some of the solids may have settled on the bottom and just need to be "shifted"

Thanks for respondig, izzidoll and Rinn,

as I said I am also fearfully to ruin my Shellac with this method.

But this item is in my mind since I read the suggestion in this thread

http://www.salongeek.com/nail-geek/264765-shellac-colours-need-3-coats-2.html

The geek who said this runs a successful buisiness and was nominee as CND Power Polisher of the year 2013 therefore I think she knows what she says.

I made my question directly in this thread to the lady, but got no answer. Also not in private message. Perhaps she looks in this thread, read this and give answer.

I have never done it deliberately and would not recommend it as I too would worry about ruining my Shellac. But I can say from personal experience, when I've had a colour that has a thin consistency after using it for a while it has gotten thick and gives much better coverage. Lilac Longing, Azure Wish, Mint Convertible and Cake Pop, to name a few, have all got better with "age"!

Karaxxx

The consistency of ruby ritz was debated when it was re issued and peeps argued that it was 'thinner' with not as much sparkle but after plenty if shaking or if needed stirring with an orangewood stick it was agreed that it was just as fab as the original.
To deliberately leave the lid off for solvents to evaporate goes against CND advice because that in effect is altering the formula .
I think that with use some of these seemingly thinner consistencies just finally got shook up enough

Thanks for all your opinions!

I have a Robart Paint Shaker (imported from the USA) and love it:Love:.

I shake, shake, shake with the machine 30 seconds each side of the bottle and after that also some seconds with hand. It´s hard to suggest that pigments stay still on the bottom of the bottles by using this great "shake energy".

Do you think after all doing that is a additional stir with a toothpicker useful?

Latest posts

Back