Bought a domain from 123, now what?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lush-Lash

Reaction score
Evening geeks, (happy jubilee)

excuse my total lack of knowledge here.

I've just bought a .co.uk for £4.99 for the year from 123.reg

I want to set a free website up with weebly so just wondering how i do this? is it easy? (just wanting to start with a freeby & once I've started earning enough I'll maybe get myself a paid website)

Also the domain name I wanted was taken (sob sob!) so I've had to use my business name but with my town included.

so for example

I'd of liked
www.lushlashbeauty.co.uk

But instead ive had to go with www.lushlashbeautylondon.co.uk

(that's not my domain name by the way lol just giving an example) does this sound ok, doesn't look too messy? & my actual business name doesn't include my town name so I'm not doing anything wrong putting my town name in my web address am I? (see I'm clueless lol)

once again I apologise for my lack of knowledge, I'm only good on a computer for Facebook or salon geek not this technical side of things.

Any help or advice will be gladly recieved. xx

if you go for a freebie website you will have to upgrade it to add the doamin name and you will probably still have the freebie websites adds on it but this is all ok, still should only be a couple of pounds a month. you can have whatever domain name you like that is available. hth

Hi,

If you have purchased your domain from 123-Reg then you should also be able to set up a free website with them. You will have to build yourself but it is very easy with templates for you to work with.

The basic one is free but is limited to what you can create. The next one up is £2.99 per month and is much more sophisticated if you want something to wow! Depends what you are after at the moment.

The good thing is that these webs are live instantly and also provide you with an e-mail address. Worth a look as a cheaper option at the moment.

Good luck and let me know if you need any help - I am a bit of a computer geek as well as a salon geek :)

xxxxx

Hi, thanks for your replys ladies.

I'm a bit stuck :confused: I've sort of set my free website up with weebly (ie adding all my info ect, it's not fully done but I've made it clear that my site is under construction.) I pressed publish & it said something to do with domain? not quite sure what it said actually! so I logged onto 123.reg did a bit of playing about (googled & followed instructions to point or something along those lines)

Anyway now when I type my web address in it's taking me straight to 123 reg website :(

Help me please lol I thought I'd been clever up until I've just checked & I still seem to be at square 1, if anyone can help I'd be grateful.

xxx

I also think I may of pressed a few buttons I shouldn't of done, thought I'd add that bit in lol

i was getting impatient & pressed a few things here & there to 'speed' the process up!

told you im useless xxx

Hi hon,
Don't worry. Is it possible you've pointed your 123domain name, let's called it beauty.com to your weebly website which may be beauty.weebly.com or whatever?

I only say that as I bought my domain outright polishedbyjessica.com then found it quite tricky to build the website I wanted from scratch. I decided to use Yola (same as weebly) and built a website with them which I called
Polishedbyjessica.yolasite.com

I don't want to give out the yolasite name as its longer and a tad confusing I think so I have made my original website 'point' at the yolasite. Now if you type my original website without knowing it brings up my yolasite (which you can tell if you look in the web address bar)

Is that what you've done by any chance?

Xx

Hi hon,
Don't worry. Is it possible you've pointed your 123domain name, let's called it beauty.com to your weebly website which may be beauty.weebly.com or whatever?

I only say that as I bought my domain outright polishedbyjessica.com then found it quite tricky to build the website I wanted from scratch. I decided to use Yola (same as weebly) and built a website with them which I called
Polishedbyjessica.yolasite.com

I don't want to give out the yolasite name as its longer and a tad confusing I think so I have made my original website 'point' at the yolasite. Now if you type my original website without knowing it brings up my yolasite (which you can tell if you look in the web address bar)

Is that what you've done by any chance?

Xx

Thanks for your reply, If im being honest im not at all sure what I've done, I've confused myself so much today & given myself the biggest headache xxx

This is what I've done - I'll try give step by step so you understand better.

Last night I bought a .co.uk domain name from 123.reg for £5.99 for the year

I then just after purchasing the domain from 123, set a new account up on weebly.com in my business name, when registering it I clicked the option to say I already had my own domain name that I wanted to use.

Today i have proceeded to fill out my website (contact info, opening times, bit about me ect..) then pressed publish site, a message appeared mid screen can't for the life of me remember what it said :( anyway I googled how to point what ever it is that needs pointing & google gave me step by step instructions which I followed, I then tried to press publish again & it said website published so I typed www ...... into the browser just to check all was ok which took me to 123's website :confused:

So i went on weebly again & pressed publish again & that stupid message came back up & now once again it's taking me back to 123 web page, so me thinking pressing publish would work hasn't as I clicked it about 50 times to no avail

So I officially give up! xx

You should be able to get a 123-reg domain name working with a Weebly website by updating DNS records for the domain name (there's an option to do that via the 123-reg control panel), and updating some settings on Weebly so that Weebly knows that your website is going to be served up from that domain name.

Weebly will almost certainly be using a technique called "virtual hosting" - which is where they run multiple websites from the same IP address... the web browser tells Weebly which website they want to view (by passing the domain name of the website to Weebly in a "header" in the HTTP request that the browser sends out); Weebly can then match this against its records to determine that it's your website that the person who's entered your domain name wants to view, and not someone else's.

The DNS record updates that you need to do at 123-reg are in order to "point" the domain name at the IP address of Weebly's server.

Omg just thought I'd type my web address in before bed by chance & it's working!!

LOL

I'm such a wally!

Thanks everyone for your help xxxxx

No worries hon sometimes it takes a few hours to go live!

Good news eh? X

Gosh, I am amazed at the people on here - qualified beauticians and hot on setting up websites etc - loving this site!

XX

I'm so pleased with my website!!

spent all day today doing it up & it's looking lovely :)

Brill! It's a great feeling of accomplishment well done xx

Just searching to find an answer... Im in the same position, created website on weebly, purchased domain from 123reg but it keeps taking me to 123reg website :/

How long did yours take to 'publish' it keeps sending me silly error message..its all so confusing!! Ive spent all day working on it but it wont publish.. Help please?!

If you have followed all the instructions to do with the settings (DNS) as explained on the previous page, then you just have to wait for it to go live. It may take a day or so and until then it will just go back to the 123 site.

If you have followed all the instructions to do with the settings (DNS) as explained on the previous page, then you just have to wait for it to go live. It may take a day or so and until then it will just go back to the 123 site.

Thank you :) i think i have done that (not so sure i know what i am doing) i must just be impatient! Haha

Thank you :) i think i have done that (not so sure i know what i am doing) i must just be impatient! Haha

It took around 8 hours for mine to go 'live' once id tweaked dns settings x

Yeah, mine was live before bed that night. I can't remember the time frame they quoted, I think it was one or two days. It's a tense few hours until you see it though. I'm waiting for Google to find me, after my own attempt at SEO.

That will be a nice moment!

Latest posts

Back