Boxer dog in home based salon

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

curvygirl

Reaction score
Does anyone work from home and own a Boxer dog?

I run a very successful salon from home (nails,brows and lashes)

A 15 month male boxer needs rehoming, it has been with a family with children since a puppy but was rehomed 3 weeks ago as the family are out of the house all day and cannot give him the attention he deserves. He was rehomed to an elderly gent who has had Boxers for 30 yrs , (he already has a senior male Boxer) but the gent has just been told he needs a heart bypass so can no longer look after the young male.

I would love to rehome the 15 month old but am worried that my circumstances are not best suited for him.. as although I am in the house all day I am upstairs in the salon .

I have a husband who adores Boxers (who wouldn't) and an 8 year old daughter. We have gardens front and back ( the rear one is 125 feet long)

I'm worried that being 'at home' is not enough...

If it were me I would take a week off from work purely to spend dedicated time with the new arrival. He sounds as tho he's had a tough start and would benefit from a bit of tlc. During that time you can practice leaving him in "his place" for an hour whilst you go to your salon room once a day so he gets used to your absent times. Try to make sure you take a lunch hour in your schedule and take him out for a nice long walk/run - remember a tired dog is a contented dog!! Owning a dog is a huge responsibility but if you can set aside time for him from the beginning and pile on the attention I'm sure you will enjoy each other for a long time. Good luck

I have both a home salon and a 5 yr old female Boxer (who is the most fabulous dog I have ever had in my life). It is no issue for me, though my circumstances are different - we had her before I worked from home so she was already settled, our climate is warmer so I can leave her in the garden for the day whilst I'm working (though I did have a facial where I had to turn the relaxation music up a little louder when I heard her bark to be let inside as unknown to me at the time it had begun to hail outside and the poor love is terrified of storms - luckily client had fallen asleep and had no idea) she is not going through the adolescent stage that this handsome (he must be handsome all Boxers are) boy would be at.
I do think you can make it work but it will take time to adjust and train. I agree about having a little time off, everything will be quite new and stressful for him, I would then maybe (depending on how well he adapts to his new home) do part days or allow a few mins break between clients, it will give you chance to toilet him (not sure if he will need house breaking). They are very active and intelligent dogs and I think that if he gets a good walk in the morning to tire him and you leave him in a gated off area with interactive toy like a kong and:or puzzle type toy he will be fine.
Oh and training, training, training - they will be the most wonderful companion provided you take training seriously.
Would love to see a pic if you end up adopting him.

I have a home clinic and a Dalmatian. It works perfectly. I leave time between clients to go and say hello. She has a long walk in the morning and a short one at lunchtimes. Many of my clients haven't a clue I have a dog. On the days I work longer hours I have a dog walker come and take her out for an hour as well as the shorter walks I give her.

If you go ahead with adopting your pooch I hope it all works out perfectly xx

If you feel you can give the dog a home for life with guidance and structure then I urge you to do it.

It can be done.
If you feel you can put the time in to get him settled, and you have a strong enough relationship with clients that the occasional disruption (of dealing with him) wouldn't add upset, GO FOR IT.

I have two medium sized dogs (60lbs) a Boxer and a Husky/Doberman/Rottweiler cross. Boxer was adopted at 1yr old, previously abused and abandoned. My Husky cross as a puppy who's mother was a Rescue I helped place.
I always warned new clients about the dogs on the premises.
EVERYONE loved them, even brought xmas gifts for them.
Two clients were terrified but now love them to bits and one is getting a dog of her own now!

With rescues, there's always a challenge at the beginning. But with dedication, love and patience... it's a win-win at the end of the day.

PLEASE feel free to inbox me with any challenges. I've worked with MANY rescues.

Good luck!

I have a home salon, a 6 year old female staffy and a 5 year old male boxer. They are no problem, they sleep while I work and gather their energy for when the kids get home from school. Bruce (our boxer) does bark when the door knocks/postie comes/scrap man or bin men go past so be prepared for some woofing but it doesn't last long. I keep the dogs shut away when I welcome my clients and assure them that the dogs won't be joining us, not everyone loves a big slobbery boxer kiss. I do think Bruce would be a bit 'needier' though if he was an only dog, he doesn't like being on his own, I don't know if this is a general boxer trait or just him so that might be something to consider. Hope this helps x ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1384608045.606135.jpg

I have a home salon with 2 English bulldogs and it's fine, my girls sleep in the kitchen all day and I just let them out inbetween clients :)

I have a home salon and a 7 year old Black Lab and even when he was a boisterous puppy things were fine. I had to shut him in the kitchen when people came in due to him jumping up to welcome them but once that settled down everything was fine. He greets at the door with me now, sleeps downstairs during treatments and then leaves them to the door when they go.

The only problem I have had is overfeeding due to the odd treat in a clients handbag! :wink2:

Thanks for your replies its v much appreciated.

Does anyone have a solitary Boxer at home? I'm particularly interested in those who do as two boxers will behave differently to a solitary boxer when left on their own?

Each breed's temperament and behavioral traits differ hence why I'm particularly interested in replies from Boxer owners... Xx

Thanks for your replies its v much appreciated.

Does anyone have a solitary Boxer at home? I'm particularly interested in those who do as two boxers will behave differently to a solitary boxer when left on their own?

Each breed's temperament and behavioral traits differ hence why I'm particularly interested in replies from Boxer owners... Xx

Hi!
I don't have a home salon however I do have a boxer and up until my daughter came along myself and my husband both worked full time ( someone always popped back to let him out etc during the day) and he was absolutely fine on his own. In fact I think we get in the way of his lying down time lol. He is older now tho so I don't know if that has anything to do with it but as u may know boxers aren't ones for calming down! If people are around he's very excitable and jumpy and slobbery haha but I think he is used to spending time by himself and enjoys the peace!! For example he could be in one room then me and my daughter come in and he soon walks out.. Having said that I probably wouldn't be overly impressed if a toddler walked in while I was relaxing either!
Would he have to be shut away somewhere or is your home salon quite separate?
They are such lovely dogs! Great guard dogs too, I'm sure I don't need a doorbell! Xxz

I have a home salon and I have 12 week old boxer puppy and a 19month pug, we have dog safety gates in place to stop the dogs jumping up my clients, boxer dogs are only a pain if they get bored, plenty of toys, chews and fuss.. I definitely agree with taking a week out to spend time settling him in, they do make great guard dogs xx

I've got a 100 and odd foot back garden with a log cabin salon in it and a 19 month old boxer , I made the mistake of letting him play in the garden while I did a clients nails ( she was ok with it ) my salon has got upvc windows and French doors, the entire time we were in there the dog stood looking in and licking the windows and when that didn't work he put his paws up on the ledge and stood doing his head twist thing hoping I would let him in , I would say spend a week getting him used to everything , if you can maybe ask someone just to sit with him while your with clients , I absolutely adore boxers so expressive faces xx

I have a 7 year old female boxer (the best dogs IMO). On the days that I work from home, she's shut away so that clients are left in peace :) Shadow sometimes has a quick bark when a client arrives but she soon stops. As your boy will be a rescue, I would suggest having a few days together so that he can settle in, they're very sensitive dogs, but truly amazing members of the family! ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1384624646.621308.jpg

My girl is an only dog and she is fine when left for the day. She uses the time to catch up on sleep, work on her kong and chase the lizards in the yard, but she ensures she gets our attention when we get home/finish work.
I have to say that my initial thought when I read your post was that the family that rehomed him was having issues dealing with the teen phase, which he would be in at the moment. Please, please find a trainer and work with him from get go. It will create an amazing dog, a very strong bond between you (these dogs want to please and are at their best when they are "working" for you), will tire him out, and will make living with him a pleasure. Many trainers say it is very important to up the training during the teen phase as this is when they test the boundaries. I'm not sure about over in England but over here it is the time that most dogs are rehomed or surrendered.

View attachment 48138
My girl ensuring she gets some after school lovin from my daughter (hope it works)

I also had a boxer and a home salon my old boxer was 10 when hearses away and all my clients miss him still, that was over a year ago, the clients love the squashed nose friendliness of the boxer and also give you a peace of mind if your alone with a male in the house, zac used to growl at men he had never met, once he knew them they were ok, if he never liked him the male client never got back unless my hubby was home, I also do treatments for a couple of special need ladies instead of barking as he usually did he would lie quiet, he seemed to know they were a bit nervous of him

Give the wee dog a chance you won't regret it xxx

I have an 8 month old boxer/lab cross. Lab face but boxer personality. Definitely get him into training and show him who's boss, mine can be very... determined shall we say! He's a lovely dog though, great with kids and lives for his cuddles! I'd say do it, a house isn't a home without a puppy dog in it :)

R x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

My boy is a boxer /staffie cross, but strong boxer traits and as has been said previously, too much company seems to interfere with his napping. We got him at one and a half and he was a rescue. His behaviour has been challenging, but I wouldn't be without him.

I agree with all that has been said. A good walk every morning will set him up for a day of calm, and bones with that gunk shoved down the middle are endless entertainment for him!

Good luck, and let us know how it goes x

Thanks for all your replies ladies, Hubby and I are hoping to meet him this afternoon with a view to taking him home with us... Nervous and excited at the same time-hope he likes us and we can give him a good, stable home... Xx

Latest posts

Back