Boyfriends/husbands in the army?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sparkle_Beauty_

Reaction score
Just wondering if there are any other geeks that have boyfriends or husbands in the army, and if so how do you cope with them going away?
I've been with my partner just over 3 years and he's been posted away most of that time but has been able to get home a couple of times a month usually, he's been told today that he's leaving in just over a week and will be away 6 months. We've just got our first house together and got engaged last weekend so feels awful to think of the next 6 months without him :(
(Sorry for the long post!) x

This is my first post so still getting used to this app! My husband's in security and spends the majority of his time away from home and my very close friend's husband is in the army. My biggest thing I think is 'absence makes the heart grow fonder' and it's true! To be honest if he was at home full time we'd be at each other throats all the time haha. I'm so used to having my own space now that I enjoy it, no one too take up all the bed or change channels! I only really get upset about it now if something happens at home and I miss his support and hugs to make me feel better!

Last edited:
If you're able to access the full site by either using Safari or Tapatalk as your browser, or via a PC or laptop, we have a social group available for you:

Salon Geek - Forces Families

It is tough. My husband and I have never really been together our whole relationship. He was in the army, then a lorry driver going all over Europe for weeks/months at time. We just got on with it I guess. It was hard when we had the three children and luckily he was around for each birth! But he's missed them growing up!

He now has a 9-5 office job but does still go away some times. It worked for us as we're are both very independent people.

The problem comes when their away you get use to that, doing your own thing. They come home for say two weeks and by the time you get used to them being their they go again, but then that becomes the norm.

I'm still not used to my husband being here all the time, he's rather annoying actually! Kids seem to like him thou, so we might keep him! 😆

My husband has been in the army since we met. It can be very difficult, I moved away from my family and friends to be with him, which can make it very lonely when he goes away. I'm lucky that my best friend is also a forces wife so I always have someone to talk to who understands. Keep your chin up, it's hard, but you can do it!

Thanks to you all for your replies, it's just nice to hear from people in the same situation. All my friends are settled down and have partners who are at home 24/7 so it's difficult for them to understand. It must be really hard if you have moved away from family and friends or have children together, I'm lucky to have my family around so I'm sure they will try and keep me busy for the next 6 months.
I'll have a look at that group thank you Noodle x

This is my first post so still getting used to this app! My husband's in security and spends the majority of his time away from home and my very close friend's husband is in the army. My biggest thing I think is 'absence makes the heart grow fonder' and it's true! To be honest if he was at home full time we'd be at each other throats all the time haha. I'm so used to having my own space now that I enjoy it, no one too take up all the bed or change channels! I only really get upset about it now if something happens at home and I miss his support and hugs to make me feel better!

Mine works in security too, he often goes away for weeks on end for work. He has plans to go away to train for his fire arms and close protection which means much longer stints away. I actually enjoy the time he's gone, house stays tidy and I can watch what I like on TV lol. I. Get into a nice routine asap so it is easier to feel "normal" and not like I am missing someone and when he finally gets home the hugs are just the best!

I can't imagine what it must be like for the families of our soldiers, my friends husband gets posted away 9 months at a time, she pretty much keeps as busy as possible, sees friends and skypes, and phones him when possible. Just gotta keep busy and he will be back before u know it x

Mine works in security too, he often goes away for weeks on end for work. He has plans to go away to train for his fire arms and close protection which means much longer stints away. I actually enjoy the time he's gone, house stays tidy and I can watch what I like on TV lol. I. Get into a nice routine asap so it is easier to feel "normal" and not like I am missing someone and when he finally gets home the hugs are just the best!

I can't imagine what it must be like for the families of our soldiers, my friends husband gets posted away 9 months at a time, she pretty much keeps as busy as possible, sees friends and skypes, and phones him when possible. Just gotta keep busy and he will be back before u know it x

Good luck to your husband :) next month mine should be off to Africa 😕I totally agree with the house being tidy! Everyone thinks it's kids that make the mess I think it's the men 😉 it definitely makes it easier to try to not miss them otherwise you end up dwelling I think. Yes definitely upmost respect to forces families, my friend's husband has missed all his daughters birthdays, can't imagine how hard that must be, but we always try to look at the bigger picture x

I do agree about keeping the house tidy ,It stays nice and clean when it's just me then he comes home for a weekend and it's like chaos lol
I think like you've all said its good to have your own routine and keep yourself busy, once the Christmas rush starts at work it'll keep me occupied :) x

Just wondering if there are any other geeks that have boyfriends or husbands in the army, and if so how do you cope with them going away?
I've been with my partner just over 3 years and he's been posted away most of that time but has been able to get home a couple of times a month usually, he's been told today that he's leaving in just over a week and will be away 6 months. We've just got our first house together and got engaged last weekend so feels awful to think of the next 6 months without him :(
(Sorry for the long post!) x

I really feel for you!!! my hubby-to-be was in the army for 10 years and that was BEFORE I met him (thank gwad) BUT then he worked in private security in Iraq after he left the army and I only saw him every 6 or 8 weeks.. luckily though we could skype everyday.. but it is sooo hard to be apart for long periods of time!!! he has now left so that we can be together and I would never let him go back in ha ha.. I really feel for you and hopefully it is something that wont last forever, perhaps there is something else that he can get into??? X

Aww I really feel for you.
I'm not in the same boat, as my partner isn't in the forces, but he does live
I'm australia
And I'm in the uk. And he's there for another 3 years. We only see each other for a
Few weeks at a Time every 6-12 months, so
I can relate to the been away from them part.
Sending big hugs.
I'm
In the middle of making 'open when letter' for him for Xmas. I'm really enjoying making them and wish I could see his face when he gets them. I only wish he had had the thought first and made me them lol.
Rachel x

Aww I bet your so pleased to have your partner back home with you mimmimus after working away all that time!
He has mentioned leaving the army a few times just lately but I don't think it would be for at least another 5 years or so. I'm keeping my fingers crossed though!
That's a really nice idea to do him some letters for over xmas rachirv, it must be really hard for you and partner to live that far away and only see each other once or twice a year, I bet you can't wait to have him back with you! I'm so pleased we've got things like Skype to be able to keep in touch!
Thanks for your reply ladies it's nice to talk to others who understand x

Latest posts

Back