Boys Or Girls?????

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

marcpunter

Reaction score
hmmmmmmmmm....

boys or girls.....ive been told lots of different things regarding who clients prefer having their nails done by....blokes or women.

ive had people telling me that its better to have them done by females because they have more delicate and gentle touch for their clients hand..

but then ive had people say that having your nails done by a Gay Bloke is even better because they can connect with their clients on a more social bond and they have even more delicate hands...and females tend to be able to talk more about stuff to gay blokes...

obviously the main thing it gets down to is beautiful long lasting nails...and it differs with everyone...

but this is an issue ive always been faced with....ive had people tell me that i will get such a huge client base because my sexuality and how a soclise with people but then ive had people say i wouldnt get as many clients a women do because im a bloke....

does everyone understand what im getting at

im 19 and im GAY...i have very delicate hands and gentle touch..im slim and slender and im not muscular at all..i take pride in my looks! :) and attire....

just thought everyone might want to know as im openly gay and i dont keep anything from anyone :)

LOTS OF LOVE Marc xxxxxx

Marc, from what ive heard of you so far, you sound brilliant and definately would love to meet up with you for a laugh! anyway as i said you sound like a very nice person and so i would see you as approachable (i know i havent met you lol) but if you create perfect nails then through word of mouth im sure it wont affect you at all and in some respect you may bring in the male clientele that i personally have trouble trying to reach x

Hunny, nobody is gonna have a problem with your being gay - anybody who read your thread introducing yourself and saying your partner's name was Sean would have realised that, lol.

As far as boy or girl: i personally wouldnt have a preference but if you think in terms of hairdressers, a lot of women like having their hair done by men rather than women. At the end of the day, a lot of very talented nail technicians are men - to name but a few:

Antony Buckley
Marco Benito

not to mention, our very own Samuel Sweet!

Just be yourself and do fantastic nails :)

At the end of the day I think clients go to whoever does their nails the best. Perhaps who they had the best chat with might come in to it somewhere way down the list after performance, location etc and if clients don't want to come to you because you're gay, then do you really want them as clients?

Marc - As far as I am concerned, I don't mind whether it is male or female person who does my hair or whether they are gay or not and I am sure it is the same with nails. So long as you are a people person (which I gather you are), talented and have a genuine flair for nails, I am sure you will have clients knocking at your door. I am also new to the industry but am sure that there are very successful straight guys out there in the nail industry too. Often, women can be more open with men in general and also perhaps some would like the fact that they wouldn't see you as a threat. I am sure you are a right charmer and will have the ladies & men floating out of your salon feeling a million dollars. Go boy go!

I think its down to each individual whether you are gay/straight/male/female as long as they are good and dedicated to providing the best service they can... :green:

true true..its not about who you are..gay straight, femail, male its all about providing a good dedicated service...juist thought it was a good issue to talk about! i wasnt being sexist or anything :-S

xxx

Hiya Marc,
Firstly i can't see there being a problem with you doing nails and being gay, When i do a clients nails i don't say to then "Oh by the way i am heterosexual", So why should you have to tell them your sexuality.
I love the word sexual equality,If women want to be truck drivers good for them, If men want to do nails whats the problem. I think you'll get clients based on your skill and quality of nails, Not on you being male and gay.
Go for it and don't worry, I know the kinds of things people can say, My brother is openly gay and people love him for his great personality and ambition. You will be a great nail tech.

I don't care either way, bi-hetro-gay-vulcan -venusian-northener-southerner-hobbits-elves -and others not mentioned-- All these can do my nails and hair as long as they rock !!!!!!

I don't think that sexuality is an issue, but talent is................
To be honest you could be the nicest straight person, but do crap nails..............would the clients love you......?????..... nope they would run to the first hobbit or other gender that could give them the nails they have dreamed off.!!!!!!

The public loves a Technician that can stand out from the others, in creativity and talent terms...a Technician that strives for perfection with each and every service including just a little nail repair......... an educataed TEchncian that knows his her stuff and rocks

Just my thoughts xxxx

Hi Marc have to agree with others as long as u give a good nail service who cares weather your gay or straight have known gay men before and must say what a scream they are be yourself and you will b fine hope 2 meet at excel hope 2 have my badge by then

Nailsinlondon1 said:
I don't care either way, bi-hetro-gay-vulcan -venusian-northener-southerner-hobbits-elves -and others not mentioned-- All these can do my nails and hair as long as they rock !!!!!!

To be honest you could be the nicest straight person, but do crap nails..............would the clients love you......?????..... nope they would run to the first hobbit or other gender that could give them the nails they have dreamed off.!!!!!!

The public loves a Technician that can stand out from the others, in creativity and talent terms...a Technician that strives for perfection with each and every service including just a little nail repair......... an educataed TEchncian that knows his her stuff and rocks

Just my thoughts xxxx

Well I agree with all Ruth has said couldnt put it better myself lol she does have a way with words ;)

Take care Dawnie xx

Hi,

I agree with the posts above and i also agree with what your saying about people preferring gay men to do thier nails and hair etc.

Even though im a nail tech i have my nails done by another nail tech who by the way is a gay man at his salon there is him and another girl who are both nail techs and clients will wait a week for an appiontment with him rather than with her and it's not about whos best at nails because on the odd ocassion i have had her and shes just as good as he is (maybe because he taught her)

Nower days it's cool to have a gay hairdresser or nail tech it's the in thing.

But over all i agree with what most have said t's not who does your nails its the quality.

I'm going now coz im rambelling.

Think Ruth just about sums it up really!!!!!lol

Debz xxx

Nailsinlondon1 said:

Just my thoughts xxxx
Ruth, can't agree with your more...sexuality is not an issue....Marc, hun...why worry what other people think....at the end of the day if you do great nails your clients will want to come back to you....so..don't worry...be happy!:)

Ruth...love your little animations!!!

As normal ..... Ruth puts into words what everyone else wants to say!! :biggrin:

I also agree with Carole..... some of the best Nail Tech's in the world are men and I bet their clients don't ask about their sexuality!!!!

You seem like a genuinely nice guy....so go knock 'em dead with your nails!!!!

i love the fact that men can not only get into nails, but in alot of cases be better than women!

Even for a gay man going into nails, which is full of women it is hard.

Was reading in the freebie mag from wholesalers (hair & beauty) a bloke called haute (something like that, can't spell) has had women refuse to let him do nails (in america) when he started. lucky though now it is widley accepted, and about time too!

I keep trying to talk my best mate into doing nails so that he can do mine, i know he will pick it up quick and be really good (he's one of these people who can try his hand at anything) but he refuses! Spoil sport!

I'm glad your boyfriend and his family are supporting you with this, my best mates boyfriend said if he went into a 'stero-typical' gay job like beauty/hair/nails, he would leave him, as he is gay not a woman!

all i can say is 'dump that boy, he ain't no good!!'

hi hun as for women having a delicate touch ! do not be fooled :lol: there are some women out there who would put axe weilding murderers to shame lol , so dont be put off coz your a man , i think we need a few more in this industry, look at all the fab male hairdressers, nail techs, make up artists etc , i think some men are just more creative than others , i think its fab, i keep trying to get my hubby to do a course but he gets withdrawls if it hasnt got an engine!! :lol: , as for you being gay, that doesnt matter at all , it doesnt matter what you do in your home life as long as you treat your clients well (which i know you will ) they wont give a hoot , love dee

dee said:
hi hun as for women having a delicate touch ! do not be fooled :lol: there are some women out there who would put axe weilding murderers to shame lol , so dont be put off coz your a man , i think we need a few more in this industry, look at all the fab male hairdressers, nail techs, make up artists etc , i think some men are just more creative than others , i think its fab, i keep trying to get my hubby to do a course but he gets withdrawls if it hasnt got an engine!! :lol: , as for you being gay, that doesnt matter at all , it doesnt matter what you do in your home life as long as you treat your clients well (which i know you will ) they wont give a hoot , love dee

Why should your sexuality make any difference? My gender never made a difference in my career. Don't remember any client ever asking me if I was gay or what I did behind closed doors!!

The problems arise if you or anyone for that matter continually makes their sexuality a matter of interest and discussion. Often gay people do this and some find it uncomfortable. It maybe a sad fact but it is true. I would not make this a hot topic in the salon ... It is nothing to do with your business.

YOu have decided to let everyone on the site know you are gay ... OK enough said. Hope that doesn't sound like I am anti gay ... far from it but now its out there .. end of story as far as I am concerned. My opinion.

OMG Marc!!

Now we have worked out we know each other (thanks Dawnie not sure what you have unleashed on me here yet!!). I'll add my two penneth!

When i first started having my nails done at a salon, a man used to do them and i have to say i used to prefer it as his were quicker, non lifting and the nail art was out of this world.

You've enough confidence and cheek to make anyone feel comfortable around you so once you've practiced and are ready to face the world i think you will have no problem!

Taz
x

Hi Marc, i have to say i admire your honesty and love the fact you are so open. My Uncle is Gay and it took him till he was 28 to openly admit that was the reason he hadn't had a girlfriend.

The funny thing was when he told the family, no one was surprised and deep down new he was. he now lives with his boyfriend in devon and is very happy.

I just think you have no worries about what or who you are, as long as you are good at what you do, that will always speak for itself. I personally love that fact that being a woman i can chat to a gay man without feeling like i'm hitting on him, so you will be a hit with the ladies, ( and men as well i imagine....lol).

Go for it, Marc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back