brassiness of bleached hair

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tracey louise

Reaction score
hi geeks,i was reading a thread about lighteneing hair with lemon juice and someone suggested using a violet/silver toner or colourfresh toner.my problem is i have highlights and it doesnt seem to matter what i use but my blonde still goes really brassy.ive been using a so silver shampoo which is a thick purple colour but it still hasnt had a great effect.i just wondered if anyone knows something that will acually work?.i dont want to be a platnium blonde but i do like to be quite light still.and would these products be suitible for me?thanks for any advice

Hi Tracey, If your hair isn't lifted up enough past the gold stage (like the color of the smilies on the right hand side of your screen) :)then you won't get the effects from a bluing shampoo. You need to be in a level 9-10 which is a light yellow blonde.
The only other thing you can do is have your stylist do a toner on you. Don't try this on yourself as the toners have a tendency to act real quick and it could go grey, purplish, bluish, ashy tone and they don't wash out very easily.

I agree if your hair is not pulled through the reds,oranges and lower end yellows a tinted shampoo is not going to have much effect. Depending an the toneality you may need more a ash base to cancel red or a voilet base to cancel the yellow. With out being able to see your hair its hard to say. Go to a stylist they may need to lift your hair more or just do a toner dont try and fix this at home you will most likley regret that idea and make the problem worse.

good luck

thanks geeks.i did have a toner put on my hair when i had my hair highlighted.it looks great when its done but i find it hard keeping the colour fresh as it goes brassy from washing it and i hate it when it goes like that.thats why i wouldnt if theres was anything i could use at home to either freshen it up between hair appointments or something other than what im using that could help prevent it? thanks again for your advice

Do you have hard mineral water at home? This will cause lightened hair to go brassy.
Other than a bluing shampoo there isn't much else other than going to your stylist to get it re toned.

hi geeks,i was reading a thread about lighteneing hair with lemon juice and someone suggested using a violet/silver toner or colourfresh toner.my problem is i have highlights and it doesnt seem to matter what i use but my blonde still goes really brassy.ive been using a so silver shampoo which is a thick purple colour but it still hasnt had a great effect.i just wondered if anyone knows something that will acually work?.i dont want to be a platnium blonde but i do like to be quite light still.and would these products be suitible for me?thanks for any advice

Hi perhaps the next time you have your hair highlighted ask the stylist to put a few
scattered lighter blonde ones in with the usual ones ,
this will give a lighter and less brassy look .
and your silver shampoo should keep these ones looking fresh.:hug:

I agree with minky, It sounds as though the stylist isn't lifting the color light enough for you. You are looking for a more creamy light blonde?

Hi,

Schwarzkopf have just bought out a new blonding range called blondeme and it is fab! You can can acheive that platinum blonde look without the 'bluey' look that some toners give. It is very conditioning and comes with its own haircare home maintenace products. If you can find a salon that does this I would strongly recommend it. The toners that come with it are much longer lasting.

The problems with toning bleached hair is that you are trying to tone an empty shell this is why the toners dont last very long. Blonde hair is very high maintinenance and requires frequent top up with toner to achieve that white blonde look. Home care products like blue shampoo will not do this unfortunately :(

I agree with the other opt for different shades of blonde not as hard work to maintain :)

thanks again for all your replies.i had a few really light brown/blondes put in last time but maybe i will just ask if i could go abit lighter with my blonde?.i dont want to go really blonde like sarah harding thats why i had a few other shades put in last time.i didnt want my hair to look like it was over bleached if that makes any sense.if i went abit lighter wouldnt the blonde still go a brassy colour eventually?i really hate the brassy colour.i just want my hair colour to look fresh and clean.

When you are having your hair blonded, is it with bleach or tint? The best way to go so you have no brassines is to ditch the bleach and go for hi-lifts. Its hard to suggest what you should go for with out knowing the depths and tones of your natural hair.
If you are very dark and are trying to go blonde I personally feel its not meant to be (this is only my opinion) I always feel if you have to work too hard to achieve a colour, you should not be doing it as it will have a detrimental effect to the condition of the hair but then I am all about good condition hair :)

i do understand what your saying donna about working to hard,but i was born blonde and have been blonde all my life although my natural hair colour is now a dark blonde.im sure she uses bleach.im always happy with the shade of the blonde when ive just had my hair done its just that it doesnt last and i hate it when it looks more of a yellowy colour.thanks for the advicedo you think having a few lighter blondes would solve my problem or do you think its just always going to go a brassy colour?i know its hard to say without seeing my hair so i do appreciate all the advice ive been given

i do understand what your saying donna about working to hard,but i was born blonde and have been blonde all my life although my natural hair colour is now a dark blonde.im sure she uses bleach.im always happy with the shade of the blonde when ive just had my hair done its just that it doesnt last and i hate it when it looks more of a yellowy colour.thanks for the advicedo you think having a few lighter blondes would solve my problem or do you think its just always going to go a brassy colour?i know its hard to say without seeing my hair so i do appreciate all the advice ive been given

Hi again

As this is happening a while after you get your hair coloured,
are you sure its not the brown bits that are washing out lighter over time and creating the brassy
tones ? :hug:

I would say go for hi-lifts if you are already a nat. blonde and this will emphasise your colour and stop the brassiness. Bleach does tend to go brassy over time and with the hi-lifts you will get that more nat. blonde look. Maybe pop in a few different hairdressers and ask for a colour consult and advice, most will do this for free, and go from there.

Good luck :)

Hi again

As this is happening a while after you get your hair coloured,
are you sure its not the brown bits that are washing out lighter over time and creating the brassy
tones ? :hug:
hi minky,im sure its not the brown as i only had them put in the last time i had my hair done and the blonde always ends up going brassy.thanks though

Latest posts

Back