breaking in layers!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

too_dam_perfect

Reaction score
My nails keep braking off inlayers. The thin top layers of my nails keep breaking/peeling. What can i do about this ie. with nails products and diet? Does anyone know what causes this, as it is VERY frustrating when i have the most perfect set and length of freshly painted nails and they get ruined by layers peeling!

Hi,

My first bit of advice would be to use SolarOil daily !

Secondly, always wear gloves when you use chemicals / detergents, washing up, working in the garden etc.

Thirdly, use a good hand lotion such as SolarSilk or SolarButter everyday, especially after you've worked with water.

HTH's

River

My problem is with using stuff on my skin is that I have loads of allergies, especially to hand creams, detergents, shampoos, anything really, even high and low tempereatures. I have VERY sensitive skin. So I never really have detergents n that on my hands cos im allways washing them incase i get a reaction to something! Could it be anything else?

I wouldnt have thought that constantly washing them is doing your skin and nails much good.xx

I have to otherwise id get millions of reactions a day, drives me crazy. Im constantly putting E45 handcream on to keep them moisturised, so all is not lost. I am just wondering what causes this layering! I used to bite my nails frantically when I was younger, but have had long nails for many years now! could that be the cause?

Hi Son, I will explain the best I can...lol. As you are using your hands for everyday use (typing, housework etc) you are causing trauma to the free edge of your nail plate. (If you imagine your nails as plywood, the end would fray as it got bashed about). With you having to wash your hands so much, the water is getting in between the frayed edges of the free edge which will in turn cause the peeling of your nails. Take your nails down short, file and buff the free edge of your nail to re-seal the layers once a week, use toughen up as a base coat and use plenty of solar oil throughout the day to rehydrate the nail unit from dehydration.HTHs
David

Hi there Son,

Water is one of the biggest culprits for drying hands - nails -skin in general.
As Jaydee has mentioned the water saturates the dehydrated nailplate.
Once dry, it will shrink the nailplate - causing dryness- brittle - peeling - splitting.

You can combat this temporarily by using a Satin buff - Girlfriend buffer[ones used to shine the nail] but unless you replenish & nourish the area it will continue to happen.

Solar Oil - as recommended is Fantastic for your needs.
Great for sensitive skins....

HtH
XX J XX

too_dam_perfect said:
I have to otherwise id get millions of reactions a day, drives me crazy. Im constantly putting E45 handcream on to keep them moisturised, so all is not lost. I am just wondering what causes this layering! I used to bite my nails frantically when I was younger, but have had long nails for many years now! could that be the cause?

Are you allergic to rubber gloves or surgical ones? if so there are special nitrile gloves available to help guard your hands when cleaning and using detergents, that way you will also be able to cut down on the amount of times you wash your hands. Are you using non acetone polish remover? try not to use it too often as this will dry out your nails even further.

OPI do a fantastic product called nail envy, the only problem is would you be allegic to any of the ingredients? you apply two coats on the first day, then another every other day for 7 days. Then remove it all and start again. You can get it for splitting and peeling nails etc. I prefere the original one.

All the advise given to you from other geeks is fab. Solar oil is a little gem to use, don't use it if your allergic to nuts though!

Take care xx

Latest posts

Back