Bridal makeup

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pmcnaught0

Reaction score
Hi All

I am due to do a makeup course, and awant to concentrate on Bridal Packages. Can anyone suggest what essential makeup equipment, I should buy for a kit.

Also what kind of Bridal packages do you offer? i.e should I offe the bride a free trial? But only if book with bridesmaids etc... Has anyone done a wedding fayre with makeup.. How did you work it! Did you have models or offer the potential client a makeover?

Any advise is wellcome. Thanks:)

Anyone?? Please?

Hi
I have done a few Bridal Fares and enjoyed them although one of them was a bit of a disaster as it was not advertised well and hardly anyone came through the doors. So my advice would be to check how the organisers are advertising the event so it wont be a waste of your time and money.

As far as your kit is concerned to start with you will most likely have loads of bits and bobs from many different ranges. In my kit I have Mac, Bobby Brown, Anthony Braden, YSL, Revlon, the list could go on and on as you will find little gems of products from many ranges and many make up artists will tell you that they never stick to just one complete range for that reason. I have invested a bit of money with a company called Art Deco this year, love their products and they have a fantastic range so maybe take a look.

An absolute essential will be a really good quality set of brushes, mine are from Art Deco and I love them but have a look around just be careful there is alot of rubbish out there that looks good but isn't up to much.

Hope you enjoy your course, who are you doing it with?
Let us know how you get on!

Lee-Anne x

I would have to agree with leemac you'll never stick to just one range! I like some of the Jane Iredale mineral make-up great for brides and so good for skin and look great in photographs most mineral make-up does, gives such radiance and looks less powdery unlike talc based products! Of course it is of benefit to you to get some products like JI or Art Deco they can't get easy so they can purchase products from you! i.e. powder & Lips!! Good luck!

Thanks loads for your comments... I was planning to do a 3 day course with the Scottish Beauty School. But then I found a local company called Amethyst. And the Tutor is going to come to my house and do a one day one2one. (Do you think I will learn all I need in one day)?

When you did the Bridal Fayre how did you run your stall? What deals did you offer? How many maekup sets can you realistically carry out on the wedding day?

Thanks in advance

Thanks loads for your comments... I was planning to do a 3 day course with the Scottish Beauty School. But then I found a local company called Amethyst. And the Tutor is going to come to my house and do a one day one2one. (Do you think I will learn all I need in one day)?

When you did the Bridal Fayre how did you run your stall? What deals did you offer? How many maekup sets can you realistically carry out on the wedding day?

Thanks in advance

Hi, I have done a great deal of research into bridal makeup as I want to launch myself into this side of the beauty industry. I did a course with Airbase and that was brilliant. I agree with other posts that a good set of brushes is essential. I trailed this years bridal fayres to try and get an idea of what other people were doing, not that I want to steal anyones ideas lol. I am not planning on advertising any sort of discounts, as other geeks have pointed out I don't want to give the wrong image of myself. If you are good are what you do then you should be paid for it. Hope this has helped :)

I think bridal fayres are good to get your name out there but sone can be really expensive, what area are you going to be working in? will you be mobile? If you are in Scotland an advert with the Scottish wedding directory would maybe be a better use of your money, I have s lust of prices as I put one in earlier this year, pm me if you'd like me to forward it.

As far as the kit goes good brushes are essential I use I mix of Jane iredale, Bobbi brown and art deco brushes.
I use alot of brands in my kit like Bobbi brown, mac, stila, Laura mercier, nars, ester lauder, art deco, lancome, urban decay, bare essentials, Jane iredale, chanel, Dior - basically what I think is the best product out there I will use. It's not something that happened over night though, it's alot of trial and error to see what products you love and want to use, the amount of money I've wasted on buying a new product trying it a few times then never using it again!
What I done to start off was buy a whole starter kit from Artdeco and over the years added to it greatly and introduced different brands and products. You should look them up as I believe they have recently started doing training. Xxx

Thanks in advance

One to one is a great way to go but what you learn will ultimately come down to how good your trainer is if you have a good trainer who is bursting with knowledge and enthusiasm and who wants to pass this on to you, well you cant go wrong.

As for the bridal fares this is what I have done. I found out the dimensions of the table I was assigned and thought about how to make it look attractive and eye catching. Ask if you need to take a table cover or if they provide also what is your back drop? Remember that most of the traders at these events are wedding fare pro's and will have a very professional looking set up. At my 1st wedding fare I never thought about a table cover or backdrop and everyone around me was setting up lovely stands. I was lucky I knew a lady who lent me a cover but I was better organised at the next one. I had just replaced my living room curtains and my old ones pinned to the backing behind my table made the perfect back drop. Anyway, just think about what to put on your table, I had all my skin care range out promoting pre wedding pampering and I had my lap top in the middle playing a slide show with all my brides for people stand and watch. I just tried to make the table look pretty, I scattered confetti and other bits and bobs. Make sure you have loads of business cards and price lists.

I dont do special offers for wedding, thats just me. Its hard work and I have my prices and thats it. I also charge for travelling.

Its hard to say how many you can do in one day. It depends on many things, like what time you can start, what they want, what time they have to be ready for. I hope some of this is helpful, read through what the other geeks said and some great advice given.
Lee-Anne x

Thanyou all so much!

Great advise!! Leemac, did you have various models on the day also, or just clients at the fayre? Or did you not do any make-up at the fayre?

Also I have been on the Artdeco website, can you buy from them direct or do you have to buy from stockists? Looking for best price!

Thanks in advance

I did a one day make-up course and my training was fab but I didn't cover the wedding make up just day, special occassion which I know you could say was bridal and evening. I love the sound of the tutor coming to your house. I can't seem to find the website Amethyst, think I'm having a d'uh moment :lol: I would say you would need a few different brands in your make up kit like Max Factor, Jane Iredale, Bare Mineral, Art Deco and a good set of make up brushes. Where about in Fife are you, I'm in Fife too :hug:

Thanyou all so much!

Great advise!! Leemac, did you have various models on the day also, or just clients at the fayre? Or did you not do any make-up at the fayre?

Also I have been on the Artdeco website, can you buy from them direct or do you have to buy from stockists? Looking for best price!

No you can buy from them direct just contact them at their Liverpool office and speak to one of the girls they are so lovely. They have rep who will actually come to visit you when they are in the area and there is no pressure to buy lots of products but I must warn you there might not be pressure but there is temptation in bucket loads!!! x

Thanyou all so much!

No you can buy from them direct just contact them at their Liverpool office and speak to one of the girls they are so lovely. They have rep who will actually come to visit you when they are in the area and there is no pressure to buy lots of products but I must warn you there might not be pressure but there is temptation in bucket loads!!! x

Just another thought re Wedding Fairs, I teamed up with a great hairdresser so we split the cost of the table. We had 2 models am and pm and took turns doing hair and make up and this was a great attention grabber and I really recommend. People like to watch a whole 'look' coming together

Def go to artdeco direct much much cheaper, I buy testers from them which again cuts costs.

Totally agree with having models at wedding fayres def pulls the crowds in xxx

Shezlar, I am also booked on Airbase course, did they show you eyes and lips, or was it just foundation?

I just cant wait to start doing makeup...... Thanks for all advise.

I would definitely recommend Airbase. It's flawless and really does last all day - I had this put on at a show (and also tried it myself at home) purposely slept in it and woke up with a perfect base on. Definitely a great investment - and you are 100% safe in the knowledge that when doing bridal make-up the base will not slip - makes for very happy brides :)

can airbase be applied with a brush dont have a spray machine

Airbase is only foundation, blush and bronzer no other training such a eyes etc. It can be used with a brush I do this on myself sometimes if I don't want to get the airbrush out! Clients also use a brush with it at home.

I have been using airbase almost a year and an yet to find a client who doesn't like it! I've had 20 weddings parties book this year, airbase really sets you apart from others and clients love the flawless finish! Plus it speeds up application time as I very rarely use concealors or colour corretors now as airbase covers everything even covered a bruise for someone!!! Xx

Can someone private mail me what an airbase kit and training costs? I am a freelance make up artist and have had a great wedding season and have some money to reinvest and thinking of airbase xx

Latest posts

Back