Bridal rates: what is the best way to charge

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lady Murasaki

Reaction score
Hi geeks and geekettes
I qualified as a hairdresser 18 months ago, but mainly do hair up which includes weddings.

I'm still unsure the best way to charge brides for the trial and on the day.

Do you charge by the hour, fixed rate or by from £xxx depending on style?

Also what is the minimum I should be charging for a trial & wedding day given my experience?

As don't want to over price or under cut myself.

Many thanks

Lady M

I'm interested in answers to this, I've had a couple of people enquire about hair-ups for "events" only for them to later say "I need you there as early as possible cos it's my wedding day". How do you justify a difference in price between a hair-up and a wedding-do if it's the same style?

I had this too, quite recently a lady wanted me to recreate her wedding day hair up for a blessing (she didnt want to book the original stylist!) ad she didnt want to pay his rates. She only wanted it at my normal hair up rates as she 'already married', so I declined her booking as married or not it was blatantly a bridal up do she wanted, she was wear her wedding dress and a ceremony of some sorts was taking place.

A

Last edited:
I state my prices are from £xx and then quote at the time of consultation. I normally judge it on the time it will take and the complexity. If I have got a bride wanting a very detailed all up style with veil and tiara and clips etc etc then I charge slightly over my set price. If I have a bride that just wants her hair curled I can't possibly charge the same, as it takes half the time. Doesn't really matter if they are putting a wedding dress on after or a bin bag, it takes me 30 mins to curl, so I charge accordingly. I don't believe we should charge extra just because it has the word wedding. Charge accordingly for your time and the expertise it takes for the desired style. Well thats my opinion anyway :)

Would from £35 seem fair?

I state my prices are from £xx and then quote at the time of consultation. I normally judge it on the time it will take and the complexity. If I have got a bride wanting a very detailed all up style with veil and tiara and clips etc etc then I charge slightly over my set price. If I have a bride that just wants her hair curled I can't possibly charge the same, as it takes half the time. Doesn't really matter if they are putting a wedding dress on after or a bin bag, it takes me 30 mins to curl, so I charge accordingly. I don't believe we should charge extra just because it has the word wedding. Charge accordingly for your time and the expertise it takes for the desired style. Well thats my opinion anyway :)

Ok, that's kind of how I do my pricing. I have a rough idea of the generic "party" hair ups - buns, plaits, curls that I charge for then if it goes into more complicated styles or addition of combs and accessories I charge a bit more.

The only difference for my bridal prices is that I have a price for trial and a price for wedding day. Then at the trial I can judge how complicated the style is and quote them for on the day.

I guess it's all down to the consultation to get all the information we can.

I dont charge brides any different, mainly because some brides dont wana tell you they are getting married in case you up the price. So therefore its easier to have a set price.

In salon its totally different, slightly cheaper as no travel costs and its only within salon times. so in essence they come to me.

If outside my salon hours its a minimum spend of £100 per person, or depended on season, minimum of 3 etc iygwim. If its at a venue then per hour set price if over allocted time frame. I make it very clear that scheduled appointments, if any add ons £xx amount. I recently trialled out a £x amount of if you book on same day as trial, which worked out nice.

I created a out of hours terms and conditions, i think it might make life easier for you, regardless if your mobile, to do the same. I can factor in changes from trial to intricate styles. Its more easy to be in control of travel costs to and from venues to additonal cost, if you have already laid out what your terms are, that way no one is confused. xoxo

I dont charge brides any different, mainly because some brides dont wana tell you they are getting married in case you up the price. So therefore its easier to have a set price.

In salon its totally different, slightly cheaper as no travel costs and its only within salon times. so in essence they come to me.

If outside my salon hours its a minimum spend of £100 per person, or depended on season, minimum of 3 etc iygwim. If its at a venue then per hour set price if over allocted time frame. I make it very clear that scheduled appointments, if any add ons £xx amount. I recently trialled out a £x amount of if you book on same day as trial, which worked out nice.

I created a out of hours terms and conditions, i think it might make life easier for you, regardless if your mobile, to do the same. I can factor in changes from trial to intricate styles. Its more easy to be in control of travel costs to and from venues to additonal cost, if you have already laid out what your terms are, that way no one is confused. xoxo

I have decided to change both makeup and hair rates to be the same that I charge for special occasion, so brides dont feel over charged.

I will set my trial rates at from £xxx rate and then £POA or from £xx for the wedding day as I need to factor in their requirments from the trial, consult and if they require any addons etc

Latest posts

Back