Bride cancelled on me, totally gutted!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

~Louise~

Reaction score
....not at the loss of money, but because nobody has ever cancelled after a trial with me before :sad:

I done her trial about a month ago, & she seemed really, really happy & booked her wedding there & then. I know I was happy with how it turned out, I asked her several times throughout if it was the same idea she had in her head & she said yes. I had shown her my portfolio & she showed me looks that she likes. I also go out to the house & told her that, because her town is quite close to mine there would have been no charge for it.

Today, about 3 weeks before her wedding, I got a message on facebook that she wanted to cancel, although she thought the make up was great that she found someone closer & it was just handier for everyone. obviously thats not true if I come to the house.

I don't know what to reply? I'm embarrassed. If there was somethbing she didn't like I would have gladly done another trial with her at no charge just to get it right. If she was unsure about anything she never voiced it! Unless it is my prices because I'm the most expensive locally

What should I write back?

I don't do bridal anymore because I used to lose so much money on the deal, but when I did I always, always took the full amount for the wedding day, immediately after the trial, with absolutely no refunds.
Did you take any money from her, even a deposit?

I always take a non-refundable deposit and we both sign a contract before I agree to hold a wedding date for anyone, otherwise brides can be too unreliable. When I first started doing weddings I was stuffed around badly quite a few times before I put my foot down.

I also prefer to do the trials about a month before the wedding otherwise they will change their mind about six times and keep wanting to have more trials

Don't take it to heart, brides are fickle! It could be a host of reasons! She may have dwindling funds and realise she can't afford the added expense but is to embarrassed to say!! X

I would agree, don't take it to heart. You gave the bride plenty of opportunity to change the look - after all, that's why you do a trial, so you can work together. It may be worth asking her if there was any reason, don't be embarrassed, it's just feedback that may improve your business.

We always take 50% non refundable deposit at the trial to secure the date, as you may have had to turn other brides away and you'll be the only one out of pocket. Chin up and certainly do not feel embarrassed!

Don't take it personally (ha ha I'm funny if I told you about my week you'd be telling me to take my own advice!)

Honestly i wouldn't. Had she booked her hair when you saw her? Isuspect she is getting her hairdresser to do both.

Try not to be upset, I've had this happen to me before when someone they know's turned around and offered to do it for them for free or something like that. Try not to take it personally. x

Please don't be upset by this. I had a booking for a family of bridesmaids, although the bride had already booked her spray tanner (still don't understand why the whole wedding party wasn't booked with her tanner!). I was all set to go, when one of the bridesmaids had an allergic reaction to medication & that was it - the whole party cancelled , including the bride as they didn't want anyone looking odd in the photos. Please don't take it to heart x

Unfortunately there's not much say to her, as she is wanting to terminate her contract with you and has given you a 'reason why' whether it true or false.

It also sound ls by the tone of the email she does not want to discus the matter any further I'm afraid.

All you can do is maybe send her an polite/ professional/neutral email saying

'' dear xxxxx
Further to your email dated xxxx I sorry to hear that you are wanting to cancel your booking with me on the xxxx.

I can confirm that your booking on the xxxx has been cancelled and no services will be rendered on that day.

I wish you and your husband to be all the best on your wedding day

Best wishes''

Be the bigger person here!
Then she will prob realise that she has lost a great mua.

i wouldn't take it personally as the others have said.

she might have got a salon voucher as a present from some one and used it instead of paying you. ( that happened to me)

or her cousin ( that happened to me too) or a friend etc might have offered to do her make up and again she's saving the money.

it's tough here at the moment. people will try and save a few quid where they can. annoying for you but don't take it to heart.

next time get a non refundable deposit to at least cover you .

I think Lynne is right, if you have completed a trial and everything runs smoothly and the "bridezilla" ;) is happy, you should in future take a hefty payment then, prior to the wedding day - non refundable. this protects you if she cancels; for whatever reason!
Unfortunately, it happens to everyone - my friend recently did a bride & specifically told her not to get a spray tan before the wedding due to scarring on her face... The bridezilla went against the MUA & did it anyway, & my friend had to try her hardest to cover over pure white scarring that obviously didn't take with the spray tan!! What a shock arriving to that after doing a trial 3 weeks ago!

Latest posts

Back