Bring back the great British sunday!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chameleon

Reaction score
Who remembers Sunday roasts...the still and quiet roads,everything was closed...going on outings to the park,the woods,and family day trips...watching Howard's Way,Poldark,bergerac,songs of praise,antiques roadshow...this has sparked a though since watcjing a documentary on bbc 4....

Now everything is open,24/7,the roads are crowded...who coined the phrase "sunday drivers":eek:...alas that is all gone now...

Bring back Sundays...i LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOve them:!::!::!::green:

I do remember that Gabi, I used to love a relaxing Sunday, alas no more, I am constantly getting dragged to the town by my daughter!!! :eek:

Just to add did you watch Songs of Praise before or after you done a striptease? :lol:

Come to Devon Gabi - you've just described my normal Sunday!!!! Honest!:lol:

I remember when I was little (not that long ago) we use to watch Little House on the Prairie while mum made the roast, and dad washed the car. Then we had a bath early eve and sat in front of the fire so our hair would dry, then watch Antiques Roadshow/You've Been Framed/Songs of Praise.
It's a shame it's not like that now, it's because Sunday is a day to do things you just haven't got time to do in the week (like food shopping, cleaning etc) because you're so busy working.:cry:

Ohh yes i would love to have the great British Sunday back....i remember sitting in my bedroom recording the charts and pressing pause/record/pause/record on and off so i only got the songs and not the talking.

Relaxing sundays..bliss..ok its our choice if we decide to use the shops on a Sunday or not but cos they are open it means we often do, i would rather they be shut but then there are those who work mon - sat and only have Sundays to get anything done...i can see both sides.

I still insist on having a Sunday roast with hubby and kids. I remember us all (all 8 of us) sitting at the table with a roast it was lovely (apart from when we were made to eat our veg of course) and yeah we watched antiques roadshow etc although I'm sure I probably thought it was rather boring then.
We also watched a program, and I don't know if anyone will remember what it was called, but it was an old man sitting in a big chair by a fire with a dog at his feet reading a story, then there would be this little devil thing popping up every now and then, I'm sure that was on on a Sunday. We would watch that with a pot of tea and a cake because it was on at tea time.
Our Sundays were good.
I must admit I do find it odd seeing people going into our local Mcdonalds for their Sunday dinner lol

Ohh yes i would love to have the great British Sunday back....i remember sitting in my bedroom recording the charts and pressing pause/record/pause/record on and off so i only got the songs and not the talking.

PMSL i sooooo remember doing this and you always either got a bit of the DJ in or missed a bit of the song! :lol::lol:

i did that too lol! Told mum i was doing homework for all those hours on a sunday!
Posted via Mobile Device

I remember when I was little (not that long ago) we use to watch Little House on the Prairie while mum made the roast, and dad washed the car. Then we had a bath early eve and sat in front of the fire so our hair would dry, then watch Antiques Roadshow/You've Been Framed/Songs of Praise.
It's a shame it's not like that now, it's because Sunday is a day to do things you just haven't got time to do in the week (like food shopping, cleaning etc) because you're so busy working.:cry:

This was pretty much the same as us:) except, I watched Little House on the Prairie but I hated it! And there was that similer one to it, can't think of the name... LOVE Antiques Roadshow! Can't get enough of it:green:

We big still go to my mums for a big Sunday roast and we laze around all day. Even when I'm working in the morning, I always go there after and do the same. xx

ahhh i used to watch the littlest hobo on a sunday morning when i was little lol!!

All them memories remind me of when I was a kid. Sunday's were so boring, with my dad shouting at us to shut up so that he could watch bull's eye lol.
I cant handle shops being shut. It's so annoying on bank holidays and xmas.
The only thing I like sundays for is the roast mmm
xxx

We often visited my nan and grandad on a sunday which would be about a half hour drive and we were lucky to see one other car on the way.
Would watch Black Beauty
Listen to the top 40-my elder sister would write the whole top 40 down every week without fail!
Sunday lunch-dad having a nap after dinner and us kids having to wash up!

awwwww yes black beauty !!!
and 'Night Jim bob...night mary jane...night flobalobadob'

and as for recording the charts...pause...start...pause...start..miss favourite song while winding chewed up tape back in with a chewed up biro pen, and then writing down all the songs you had recorded on the little card bit on the tape cover (why did they never give enough space on those things....it really annoyed me writing on the back :irked:)

Then eat sunday dinner (with roasties cooked in lard)
Then off to learn the words to your fave songs....
start...listen to a few words....pause....write down words....start...pause...start to write words...mum shouts your Arctic roll pudding is ready...eat arctic roll....lick bowl....rewind tape...(usually too far)....pause...write....

awwwwww I miss being a kid,

And I miss MY kids missing being this type of kid !

I still insist on having a Sunday roast with hubby and kids. I remember us all (all 8 of us) sitting at the table with a roast it was lovely (apart from when we were made to eat our veg of course) and yeah we watched antiques roadshow etc although I'm sure I probably thought it was rather boring then.
We also watched a program, and I don't know if anyone will remember what it was called, but it was an old man sitting in a big chair by a fire with a dog at his feet reading a story, then there would be this little devil thing popping up every now and then, I'm sure that was on on a Sunday. We would watch that with a pot of tea and a cake because it was on at tea time.
Our Sundays were good.
I must admit I do find it odd seeing people going into our local Mcdonalds for their Sunday dinner lol

I think the program was called The storyteller.
I remember doing the whole chart show thing and when I was even younger having to sit by the gas fire whilst my hair dries after the bath and then mum trying to get all the knots out whilst she watch The Antique Roadshow:lol:

awwwww yes black beauty !!!
and 'Night Jim bob...night mary jane...night flobalobadob'

and as for recording the charts...pause...start...pause...start..miss favourite song while winding chewed up tape back in with a chewed up biro pen, and then writing down all the songs you had recorded on the little card bit on the tape cover (why did they never give enough space on those things....it really annoyed me writing on the back :irked:)

Then eat sunday dinner (with roasties cooked in lard)
Then off to learn the words to your fave songs....
start...listen to a few words....pause....write down words....start...pause...start to write words...mum shouts your Arctic roll pudding is ready...eat arctic roll....lick bowl....rewind tape...(usually too far)....pause...write....

awwwwww I miss being a kid,
quote]

This is my memories of a perfect Sunday, I always make sure that I give my family a Sunday Roast as it just doesn't feel like Sunday without one lol.(Although Sunday Lunch is getting served later now as I am just so busy)

Sue xx

ahhh i used to watch the littlest hobo on a sunday morning when i was little lol!!

Ooooo me too! And Lassie! Although I always hid behind the settee until Lassie came home as it was far to upsetting, lol!

I love Sundays! I must admit I NEVER go to the shops on a sunday, it goes against the grain with me. Im normally on a footy pitch, (watching, not playing) till lunchtime, then its a roast at home or we all head off to the carvery. I do try and get mums and dads etc involved as I think Sundays are family time. I love 'em!

LOL about recording the charts; I used to do that too! You've had it if the DJ talks over the intro to the song though, no chance of editing *that* out with the pause button!
Posted via Mobile Device

I think ALL shops should be closed on Sundays, then I wouldn't have to work every other one:irked:

Sunday= Magnum and the Love Boat:lol:

Latest posts

Back