Bringing children in salon?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucylou2303

Reaction score
Hi geeks
What are your opinions with letting parents bring there young children into your beauty salon?
I've had a nightmare with young children being brought in and really misbehaving the patents can't seem to control them or they aren't over bothered if they are being noisy or touching (destroying) things. For example a parent brought her 2 year old who was really playing up and screaming while I was in the next next room doing a facial. (which they knew) i had to come out and ask for the child to be quiet who then had a massive tantrum which made more noise for my poor 'paying' client.
It's also very distracting for the therapist who is doing the treatment while having to keep an eye on them.
Don't get me wrong I do like children but these have really put me off and I dread having them
Come in.
What do you all do in these situations? as its difficult to say much when the parents are there and don't do much?
I personally wouldn't take children into a beauty salon environment knowing they would get board and misbehave.
I

could you inform your clients not to bring their children into the salon due to health and safety.i have taken my children into a hair salon where they were getting their hair cuts,but i would never take them into a beauty/hair salon if i was getting a treatment done.

Last edited:
If my client's bring thie children in, I do ask them to wait in the reception area ( I work in a hairsalon as a beauty therapist)

Kids get bored, they start playing up, as you say touching things and muuumm,, are you finished yet??? ggrr!!!!

I do let some of the older ones in and wait in the room with thir mum, but i dont allow them to swing on the chairs lol!!

It clearly says on my brochure ' Due to the interest of health and safetly, and for the comfort for you and other around you, please do not bring babies and small children into the treatment room.

have asign put up and remind each cleint who bring their brood in that you cant have them due to due health safety and Insurance.

I love children but not in a salon, it really annoys me. "Can you watch my kid whilst I have my nails done? Make sure they don't leave?!" Errm sorry but I am working no I can't! I can not been responsible for your child!

Some children are well behaved and sit quietly-that is fine. But when they run riot in the salon and their parents don't do anything it really annoys me. I find they play going to the "toilet" for something to do! Its not really fair on the children because they are just bord, it isn't any fun to sit and watch mum/gran get pampered xx

I love Children. I have one myself. But a beauty salon is no place for a child. I clearly state on my price list that 'Due to health and safety and for insurance purposes children under the age of 10 are not allowed in the salon. We apolagize for any inconvenience this may cause.'

I have made this clear from the start. It's not fair on them, the parent, or you.

Although it would be hard to do at the time, in order to keep consistency and a clear message, I would turn someone away and ask them to rebook. I would have to take the risk that they may get huffy and not return.

Completely aggree on the beauty side. Children shouldnt be allowed. In my hair salon we do try our best to look after and accomodate kids though. We have toys, psp, colouring books and crayons, they have their own area they can play in or watch c beebies if they want.
Its great for the mums, but I have to admit its a little stressful sometimes, especially when we have loads in! We have a reputation for being child friendly now, and the kids LOVE coming in. This is great for all the business its brings from mums who would otherwise not come in and spend their money - BUT my God its like a blinkin creche in their in the holidays.

When the kids play up, I have no problem in telling them what to do. I can be pretty scary :lick::lick:
xxx

We do allow children into the salon, but most times I wish we didn't! It's ok if it's just a quick appointment, eyebrows and such but we have one lady that brings her 2 year old with her for full on waxing & pedicures and just lets her wander round the salon, it's got to the point where one of us has to be free to babysit! Another lady brought her 3 year old in for an hour and a half nail appointment. He was perfectly behaved, sat nicely and didn't play around, BUT to keep him quiet she'd given him a sausage roll and a carton of juice, so by the time they'd left you can imagine the mess, I was on my own and booked back to back so there was no time to clear up. I just don't know why parents want their pamper time disturbed by their kids.

Look at it from the parents side, not everyone has someone who can look after their children so what are they meant to do. If that was the case then some people would have to miss out on having their nails, hair or beauty treatments until all of their kids were at school. I have no problem with clients bring kids into the salon and find that the majority of them are well behaved but the ones that are not get a telling off from me if not from the parent.

As a quick aside, reading about how the parents let the children explore things that perhaps they shouldn't, I can't believe it ends up being down to the therapist to say something.

I was on a ferry the other week and it was packed. From the other row I heard one of the female stewards having to tell some children to stop 'playing' with the lift. She made it clear they had to stop and told them why, but kept an air of friendliness about it.

That was fine, but what I couldn't believe was this was done all in front of the parents! Why the heck would you think it was ok for your children to keep making a lift go up and down, opening and shutting the door etc.
It should not have been left to the steward to tell them to stop!

Back to salons, it's great that kids learn how to sit etc in situations, but my Goodness, respect yourself and you environment. If the parents are too dim to teach their kids how to behave, or if the child is too young that it needs more attention than this situation requires, don't let it continue.

Someone brought her 2 year old in yesterday for her nail appointment. The kid was sat in her lap. How da heck was she supposed to place her hands in the lamps?

The kid wanted to do a number 1 and then a number TWO! I was livid. No weekend appointment for this client anymore. She will have to come in the week from now on.

Yea but i dont understand why parents would bring there children, i very rarely have babusitters etc but if i was going to get my hair or nails done i always arrange a time i know i wont have my children simply because my child would not enjoy being sat there while i get pampered and even when my mobile beauty therapist comes to do my eyebrows i always arrange an appoint when they are in bed or there dad is free to take them out because she is trying to work and you cant concentrate when kids are about lol x

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

I have had clients bring their kids for spray tans - not so much of a problem as if they are small enough they go in the travel cot with a few toys ;) But I went to one clients house and the small child screamed from when I got there till when I left! It was quite clear that this was normal as mum didn't react at all! I pity the neighbours! (then again I wouldn't go back any way as her friend popped round and they were talking about how the client is going to charge hundreds of pounds for people to being their bitches to her dog who's part staffy because he's such a good temper and she'd never have a bitch because this way she gets all the money but none of the hassle of problems with puppies being ill and so on... and having to sell them.
I nearly walked out leaving her with 2 legs covered in wax!:(

jeez you guys are gona hate me. Im definatly not a kiddie person. In fact i ensure that my clients are aware that we are not child minders and i also point out to my salon policy, " Young Children must be accompanied whilst in salon, we cannot be held responsible if your child injures themselves." Direct but to the point. I had a friends terms and conditions, and it was:

"Children must be supervised at all times whilst they are visiting the salon; the salon environment is a potentially dangerous one with scissors and chemicals being recurrently accessible. We cannot be held responsible for those children who injure themselves whilst unsupervised. None of our staff are suitably qualified for childcare. Please do not put your child at risk."

I think parents need to take some responsibility if anything should happen, i know we all want a pamper, but you have to look after your children as priority number one. I find it very distracting to concentrate or work if i know a screaming child is nearby. I find a politely nice way of saying i dont want your kid here, its annoying me! End. xoxo

Thanks geeks I'm glad it's not just me.
I'm going to have to be more strict with both parents and children from now in as it's really not fair on us. Xx

I'm now a mum of 4...a 11 year old...a 2 year old and two twin boys.

I run a nail bar above a busy hairdressers and have a very strict policy of NO CHILDREN during appointments.
Of course i have nothing against children BUT in a professional environment...where a certain amount of time is allocated per appointment...i cant afford to be running behind because i have to keep stop/starting while a client attends to her child every 5 minutes.

And to not clear up after your child(surely its only polite to take your child's rubbish home with you.Like when you take your dog for a walk,you'd take its s*** with you)...when i had the salon in its previous location i had three sunbeds as well and my god kids were a nightmare.
They always came in while mum had a sunbed and caused a commotion.
I even had one little boy take his socks off and try and put his feet in the foot bath with a lady having a pedicure.Luckily she saw the funny side of it.
Another occasion a little girl threw up every where in reception..and i was working alone that day and had to clean that up whilst my nail client waited.

I personally would not dream of bringing my children with me to a appointment.its not fair on the child...which is why they play up(thru boredom)and its not fair on the therapist.

A big notice in the salon stating no children allowed,on your price list and website normally does the trick.
Adding to that..where i am now..i am located at the top of some steep stairs and thats my "excuse" for not welcoming children.

Off topic, but I have to say I love your pic Louise. They look like a couple of little Russion dolls. So cute! :D

Im very much of the opinion that if they behave, then I don't have a problem. However, I don't like being treated like a babysitter! I'll never forget the time that one of the other girls I work with had a client in who expected me to look after her child! This child was a nightmare, and ended up cutting her own hair while I was on my lunch break because her mother couldn't be bothered to keep an eye on her!

Ive never found a way of stopping people coming in with kids. Even though it states it on our brochure. They just say "oh sorry couldnt find anyone to have them". I have one client who time and time again comes in with her three kids, the older two are very badly behaved and even went into one of the treatment rooms while another lady was doing a facial the mother just screamed at the top of her voice and then just sat there while they ran riot!! Ridiculous!! Also the youngest one always has a VERY strong smelling nappy that takes all day for the pong to go and the mother gives her a computer game to play with the sound blaring!! Rant over ha ha x
Sally x

Sent from my GT-I9100P using SalonGeek

I love Children. I have one myself. But a beauty salon is no place for a child. I clearly state on my price list that 'Due to health and safety and for insurance purposes children under the age of 10 are not allowed in the salon. We apolagize for any inconvenience this may cause.'

AnneMarie, You said what I was about to, but in a much better way as I cant seem to string a simple sentence together lately :D

Salons and kids, I dont get it. Its not relaxing, its not safe and imagine it, your a kid, busting to go and do some thing majorly exciting and WHAM- your stuck in a salon for ages, staring at walls and weird machines, confused about life, opressed, frustrated etc :D

It is also extremely frustrating for us pros. I understand why clients will take them, I know it can be some times hard to organise a sitter etc but for me as a pro, I want to give the client a great service and if there are kids in a crisis I will want to try and entertain them - and yes your treatment will suffer as a result.

For me, being mobile now its not so bad, at home the kids are usually occupied enough and the girls love a splash of polish and glitter after I have finished my job

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back