Bringing Up Baby...

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anna Lee

Reaction score
Has anyone been watching the program 'bringing up baby'...?

for those of you who dont know... its a program where 6 couples with newborns are given a mentor who favours one of three childcare methods from the 50s, 60s and 70s...

Bringing Up Baby from Channel4.com

very interesting program...

any comments..?

I have been watching it...really interesting...

I think you can take a little bit from each decade...but personally I find ...

The 50's seems very extreme....there is no way on this planet I could not cuddle my newborn baby.... but then who is to say that method is wrong?

I think the Amazonian jungle method ( name escapes me at this time ) of having your baby strapped to you for 6 months is fine...so long as your baby weighs the same as a bag of sugar at 6 months!!!!

I think the best method for me...and the one I have probably brought my 5 children up by is the 70's method...Dr Spock is it???? Go with your instincts...and do what is right for you as a mother...

It is interesting that the harshest mentor on the programme is the woman for the 50's method ( again name escapes me lol ) and she has no children... I wonder how she would be if she had her own child....? :rolleyes:

It is interesting that the harshest mentor on the programme is the woman for the 50's method ( again name escapes me lol ) and she has no children... I wonder how she would be if she had her own child....? :rolleyes:

And i wonder how many of us have actually really thought about this point...?

we listen and obey so much people who we consider as 'experts' - midwives.. doctors.. nannies.. childminders... we do whatever they tell us and think is best for our baby..

But has anyone actually thought about how many of these people have actually experienced carrying a child for 40 weeks and given birth...??

I am due to become a mummy again for the 3rd time.. I have recently found out that.. amongst the group of 6 midwives who have been looking after me.. only 2 have actually given birth and is bringing up children...

I totally respect the work of these professionals.. but can someone really know how to bring up a child if they havent been through labour and dont have one of their own...? Can you really know how to breastfeed just by reading a textbook...? It is possible for a person to truly understand what sleepless nights do to yourself physically and mentally if theyve never had to look after after a baby throughout the night..??

I dont query their profession... but i do believe that motherhood is the one thing in this world that is not possible to learn from a book....

Well I have had a fair few midwives in my time...and the most understanding were the ones who had given birth...

I had a young lady consultant once tell me that I would have to be tipped upside down in a contraption which sounded like a torture machine to move my sons head from where it was sitting above my leg towards the birth canal... the midwife a glorious mother of 4 children told her poppycock...I was a woman in labour not a turkey and proceeded to break my waters, shove her hand inside me, move his head and leave me alone because she said to the consultant I had more experience of giving birth than the poor consultant!!!! I could have let the ground swallow me up...but 15 minutes later out he was..!!! I think when it comes to giving birth sympathy comes much more freely from those who have experienced the agony themselves...:lol:

It is impossible to learn parenting skills from a book I agree....so long as you can give a child love and care in abundance...then I don't think you need to have actually given birth to be a good parent...

Latest posts

Back