Brisa gel troubleshooting help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

florence2004

Reaction score
So since attending some workshops recently my Brisa application has improved no end but I am still having a couple problems I wanted to run past you all.

I am finding that my tips are cracking underneath the overlay and I am loosing the corners, all underneath the overlay so I am guessing this is not a major problem, just not sure why it's happening - any ideas?

some of my overlays are "peeling off" I caught one of my nails yesterday and it was on one that had lost a corner from the tip and the whole overlay came right off in one piece but left the tip behind not sure why this is happeneing

finally when I am doing the overlay on to tips (as I don't sculpt with gel yet) I was taught in the workshops to place the smile on with the sculpting white using the string method - which is working really well for me - and then cure for 10 seconds, then apply pink and build apex and then cure for full 2 mins as it is all one layer but I am finding that I am gettin a ridge between the apex and the smile and I always have to go back over with clear to fill in the ridge between the pink and white. The ladies doing the workshop were just able to refine the pink and white and then gloss top top them. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks Geeks!

Well I learned yeasturday with a different post that the scrubfresh contains acetone and that this was the reason for the tips cracking......so try not to wipe the entire nail with scrubfresh, just the exposed natural nail.
I'll let others comment on the rest of the questions....

Well I learned yeasturday with a different post that the scrubfresh contains acetone and that this was the reason for the tips cracking......so try not to wipe the entire nail with scrubfresh, just the exposed natural nail.
I'll let others comment on the rest of the questions....

I wondered if that was what was doing it!

Could also be blunt tip cutters, or even using too curved a tip on a flat nail plate.

As for filling in the gaps, use the stringing method again, it's perfect for this.

I was taught in the workshops to place the smile on with the sculpting white using the string method - which is working really well for me

Sorry to be dense, but could someone explain the 'string' method?
Thanks!

Sorry to be dense, but could someone explain the 'string' method?
Thanks!

String method is where you pick up a ball of gel but get a long string hanging from underneath. you use this to "draw" the smile line first and then fill in from smile line to free edge with what is on your brush.

Could also be blunt tip cutters, or even using too curved a tip on a flat nail plate.

As for filling in the gaps, use the stringing method again, it's perfect for this.

Thanks Sass, this is what I have been doing with clear gel. but I can't work out why I am getting the rige in the first place, the workshop educators were just able to do white, pink and gloss, they didn't seem to have the ridge!

They have a ridge, its just very slight- the finishing gloss fills it in ;)

It's all about practice, and its perfectly OK to use clear to fill it in, it helps protect your white and pink from being overfiled as well. ;)

I always get a slight ridge when using sculpting pink and whites, I fill it in using the clear and at the end nobody could tell the difference... there's like a slight 'bump' between the white and pink, fill it in using clear and it's invisible afterwards.
hth's

Thanks geeks, trouble is mine is not just a ridge is like the bloody grand canyon! And how come the educators could do it without the ridge?

Think I sussed it a little today, I have been using too much pink! But I still have a little ridge and when I buff to refine I can't get at the shine iykwim!

Could it be that you're not building your white up enough at the apex?

Thats what I am thinking Sandi - so in laymans terms how do I get round that? Have tried putting extra white on but just makes the whole tip look thick!

When you apply your string of white at your smile, your should be brushing it down towards the free-edge, tapering it out. The bulk of your product should be at the actual smile line/apex.

Thats what I am thinking Sandi - so in laymans terms how do I get round that? Have tried putting extra white on but just makes the whole tip look thick!
The problem is 'finding the happy medium'... If you add enough white to make your apex then your pink should be added in a similar way where zone 2 is concerned... it won't happen overnight mate so please don't' go out there thinking that you'll be able to it from now.
Add a little more pink and see how you get on... if, when you're checking the form of the nail, you find you need a gap filler then add some clear, it doesn't have to be a lot but it can save you a lot of filing in the long term.

String method is where you pick up a ball of gel but get a long string hanging from underneath. you use this to "draw" the smile line first and then fill in from smile line to free edge with what is on your brush.

Got it. Thanks! Def going to try that...

When you apply your string of white at your smile, your should be brushing it down towards the free-edge, tapering it out. The bulk of your product should be at the actual smile line/apex.

ooooohhhhhhh
and the penny drops, I have been puting it on at the free edge and pushing it back!

thanks!

Latest posts

Back