Brisa Problem

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BuffyFileSlayer

Reaction score
Hi, hope someone can help. I changed over to Brisa since I got it on 22 March - on myself as well as clients. So far so good. Yesterday I had my first problem with it. My newish client phoned Monday night to say she had lost 2 and her daughter had lost 1. When I saw them yesterday morning she had lost another 3 in the shower = 5! Most were clean off (and smooth on the other side - she kept them for me) but 2 still had a wee bit of gel up near the cuticles. The only difference this client and her daughter have, compared to me and my other clients, is that they have tips and overlay (no white) (other clients and me have french overlay only - no tips).

That's easy you say - it's the tips that are the difference - ok but why? I used Formation tips and I had to very carefully size them as her last tech used the wrong 'c' curve and she had terrible pinching.

I must say that my lamp is still flickering badly and I am on the list for a new one - but surely the only downside there is uncured gel - and the nails leave me very shiney so I don't think that is happening.

Any help would be gratefully received.

My only question would be - are you making sure that all shine is removed from the tips - other than that, I would be stumped too.

Are the clients maybe not looking after them - are they new clients to you or have they moved from L&P to gel?

Oops sorry that is more than one question LOL.

naturalnails said:
My only question would be - are you making sure that all shine is removed from the tips - other than that, I would be stumped too.

Are the clients maybe not looking after them - are they new clients to you or have they moved from L&P to gel?

Oops sorry that is more than one question LOL.

More than one allowed!! lol :D

Yes I had gone over the tips well with my blizzard board.

They had been using LCN for a while but I don't think the tech was brilliant (re the pinching and other things they had told me) they said they used to loose one or two with the LCN gel. But what bothered me was that ok the tip came off but also the gel peeled away smoothly from her nails! (No she is not on any medication either - her only ailment is dust hay fever). I think they look after them well.

It sounds like its only half curing, if your lamp is flickering, are you double curing? Until the lamp situation is sorted , with all flickering lamps the layers of gel need to be double cured.
Also, do you have adhesive ooze out above the tip?
I used to wipe this over the nail, and my gel used to peel over that area.

I do not think the problem is with the product not curing.

Are you sure the Liquid Bond was absolutely dry before you applied the gel?

When nails come off clean, it is a sure sign that the product was never ON in the first place and that there was some barrier preventing the covalent bonding process. I would try again and make sure you have removed the surface shine well and that the Liquid Bond is absolutely dry.

The fact that you used tips would not make any difference to your product bonding other than that which ahs been already mentioned re etching the tips. Make sure that your blizzard board has not lost its 'edge' and that you are using the 180 side of the board to remove tip shine.

I happened to be speaking to TV (one of the chemists) last week about the light flickering and he does seem to feel that it could be a major contributor.
Personally, I would lean more toward plate preparation. If she has excessively oily plates and you do not effectively remove that excess oil... no amount of curing or liquid bond is going to help stick it to the nail.

My suggestion would be to double Scrubfresh and/or use NailFresh during your next application and think about double curing if your lamp is flickering.

Hope this helps

I agree with you Sam.
I did not mean that a flickering lamp couldn't cause problems, just that in THIS case I didn't feel it was the problem, as you said.

agreed, otherwise the problem would have been seen on more than 1 client.

Thanks Sam and Gigi, I too thought about Nailfresh and that is what I tried yesterday morning. The fact they came off clean made me try it and I was pretty sure it would be compatable. The fact that the gel came off the nail and not the tip, makes me think that the tip was etched enough. But Debs' idea about the adhesive and tip made me think. When I have put tips on if there is any glue squelching I lightly swipe it off with a little Scrubfresh on a pad - is this a good idea or should I not do this, it's just when you buff over the dry squelched adhesive it goes a bit white sometimes - that's why I do it.

I am pretty sure that my bond is completely dry, although I will pay attention to that - but then again it is only this client.

I'll pop a happy ending on here if the Nailfresh worked.

Thanks, as always, for your support in quick replies - now I just need my new lamp and I will be well away - do you suggest double curing everytime it flickers or just at the end? (It is only from my 4th or 5th 2 minute cycle that it goes into disco mode until the end of the session.)

One last question - the last client I did this evening - I noticed when I took off the stickey layer from her finish coat - some nails were not shiney. Did this mean they were not cured? I think so but I would like confirmation.

Many thanks,

If the gel came off clean like you had deliberately moulded them on the nail shape and the clients brought them back(?) there was no bond at all. Did you check the clients nail surface for fissures or striations. ( As a point of reference LCN nails if applied correctly don't come off. )

However if some nails had adhered then its not the lightsource.

However if a light source is flickering you shoud not be using it, period. Although by some fluke it has emitted enough light to cure the product. If it is flickering its faulty.

The flickering lights could easily be the fault and they should be changed asap (though double curing would take care of any concern there).

Rest assured, I would seriously doubt that standard fissures or striations would cause the product to not adhere properly (unless it meant you could not prep those areas effectively)

apologies for lack of clarity.

fissures, striations = looking for signs of mrs nailbiter/worrier in case the nail had been worked loose...

Loosing 1 or 2 and the rest staying on indicates that your application was by default ok and the product worked and so did the light on the other eight.

Therefore unless the other eight present the same "symptoms" its probably client related issue.

sure. Completely depends on a number of issues though. Just because only 2 came off does not say for certain that all the nails were completely cured... just that those two were the 'first to go' so to speak. Also, the two in question could have been under the flickering lights meaning they received loads less UV than the others.

Seldom ever is the issue absolute. There is seldom ever a magic bullet where 1 and only 1 thing caused the problem. Instead, I find that it is usually a couple of things working together that increase the probability of service breakdown.

Anyhoo.. My 2 cents.

Kim said:
My newish client phoned Monday night to say she had lost 2 and her daughter had lost 1. When I saw them yesterday morning she had lost another 3 in the shower = 5! Most were clean off (and smooth on the other side - she kept them for me) but 2 still had a wee bit of gel up near the cuticles. The only difference this client and her daughter have, compared to me and my other clients, is that they have tips and overlay (no white) (other clients and me have french overlay only - no tips).

Thanks Sam.

If it was only one or two popping off I wouldn't have bothered anyone (as she also used to lose one or two of her LCN's) but it was the fact that another 3 came off in the shower the next morning. Five within a week was what was bothering me. :rolleyes:

Well it is now one week later and I have just got in to find a message on the answerphone that she has lost 7 and her daughter has lost 5! :cry: She has said that they don't want nails anymore - I will phone her shortly but just wanted to know if Sam or Gigi had any further comments about this. I have just done infills on 2 other people (yesterday and today) who had their last appointment 3 weeks ago and there was no sign of lifting let alone any lost! Also mine are still doing well. I have had no other problems with losing apart from these two ladies who have tips. As my other clients have sculpts or overlays only I can't help wondering if the tips are causing the losses (or rather my application of them.)

Can anyone help? Please.

Kim,

I think you have to put this one down to experience and stop beating yourself up about this - it is far more likely that the clients have caused these losses - you appear to have done everything humanly possible except follow them LOL. Lets wait and see if they go somewhere else and maybe have a poor experience and then they may realise how good you were at what you do and they may come back.

Some clients see nail enhancements as a challenge and try lots of ways of getting them to come off.

Please don't worry - if these are your only two clients to have problems then you are doing really well.

I personally do not find tips as strong as sculpts as there is less of a bond between the gel & natural nail & if you knock a tip the whole thing goes rather than just the corner like sculpts. When I used to do tips, people would easily knock them off, now I don't get many people loosing them so maybe it is that?

Pinkies! said:
I personally do not find tips as strong as sculpts as there is less of a bond between the gel & natural nail & if you knock a tip the whole thing goes rather than just the corner like sculpts. When I used to do tips, people would easily knock them off, now I don't get many people loosing them so maybe it is that?

I wanted to sculpt them but they are my only (gel) clients that do not have pink and whites. So that option went out the window!

If there is no damage to the natural nail plate, I would think the clients nail plates most likely are holding far more oil than the average PREP is removing.

Have you tried NailFresh in your PREP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back