Broken Acrylic Nail

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pibsy

Reaction score
Hi,

I just wanted some advice about rebalancing a nail that is split in the middle. Do I take all the product off and reapply? What if the natural nail has a cut in it. can I reapply product to that nail? Also wanted to know any tips on lifting cos I have really had enough of lifting..

Thanks in advance for your advice.

hiya xx

just so we don't start sounding like we are teaching you to suck eggs....how long have you been trained for and with whom...?

I believe that most of the time lifting is due to improper prep...but there can also be other reason....ratio...client interferal...aftercare...etc

As for that nail...i would file as much off as i could safely and comfortable for the client...as soon as she says it feels uncomfortable then stop. The i would cleanse and sanitise the nail....and reapply product...it will protect the nail as it grows out.

HTH

if i ever have a crack in the nail, that has not gone through to the natural nail,
i file a "V " in it to expose the cracked area then re apply as normal,
i hope you understand what i mean( lol)
also with regrds to lifting, i would re assess your prep work as this is probably the major cause of lifting, insufficient prep work,

Hi,

Thanks for your replies,

I have been a Nail technician now for 3 months and I trained with a Creative Nail Assessor. I really try hard with the prep. I remove dead skin around the cuticle, I then remove the shine from the nail and finally I use a dehydrator and the I use primer. I have also heard that you can just scrub the nail with acetone and nothing else apparently this is enough to get rid of oils etc.. also when I apply the product I could see before that I was using to little so I use a bit more and wait for it to settle before gently pressing it into place away from the cuticle. You hear so many things but I though ok if you gently press the product then it will adhere to the nail better. It did work on my nails but now one has lifted and I simply want to scream!!!! Also what shortcut can you take to correct this lifting?? other than starting over again with the lifted nail..

Sorry I have ranted on but I'm incredibly frustrated not to mention embarrassed with client telling me there nails are lifting..

Thanks
:cry:

Hi,

I really don't think there are any "short cuts" to preventing lifting unfortunately. With the nail you have lifting on you would need to get rid of all the lifted product - a mini rebalance on that nail really.

If your Prep is spot on then perhaps it is in the ratio - you say you were trained with Creative but your profile says you use Young nails, I don't know as I have only used Creative, but maybe the ratio is different....I'm sure someone with experience of both will be more help to you.

Where is the lifting, cuticle, side walls ??? How long after application does it start, as this could help identify the problem

I would highly recommend checking the tutorials on here, they are full of helpful info and have helped me no end with the lifting problems I had (still do occasionally!!):)

These two in particular helped me with my lifting problems:
http://www.salongeek.com/nail-application/3007-perfect-preparation.html

http://www.salongeek.com/nail-application/9200-product-control-part-4-zone-3-making-disappear.html

Hope this helps a bit:)

Hi,

Thanks for your replies,

I have been a Nail technician now for 3 months and I trained with a Creative Nail Assessor. I really try hard with the prep. I remove dead skin around the cuticle, I then remove the shine from the nail and finally I use a dehydrator and the I use primer. I have also heard that you can just scrub the nail with acetone and nothing else apparently this is enough to get rid of oils etc.. also when I apply the product I could see before that I was using to little so I use a bit more and wait for it to settle before gently pressing it into place away from the cuticle. You hear so many things but I though ok if you gently press the product then it will adhere to the nail better. It did work on my nails but now one has lifted and I simply want to scream!!!! Also what shortcut can you take to correct this lifting?? other than starting over again with the lifted nail..

Sorry I have ranted on but I'm incredibly frustrated not to mention embarrassed with client telling me there nails are lifting..

Thanks
:cry:

you wipe over with scrub fresh hun not acetone, you use that to take off product so why would you put it on the nail if your gonna put a full set on???

To be honest i would go back to your creative acadamy and have a refresh course or one-one 3 months is not along time at all to be doing nails and normally 1 course is not enough either, especially if your struggling hun xx

I can understand where you are coming from Hun. I used to have loads of problems due to prep. I believed mine was spot on, but when a good friend of mine who is a tech, watched me do it, she could see minor problems with what i was doing.

Things like, not removing the dust after taking off the shine from the sidewalls. Plus, i wasn't pulling back the skin of the sidewalls, to make sure all shine was removed properly. I also found i over primed, which can also cause lift badly.

These are all minor things, but they can cause you to have terrible lift.

The other thing i would say is how many full sets or in fills have you done? I have been doing nails for over three and a half years and its only in the last year that i have truly sorted all of my lifting problems, mix ratio and application techniques. Becoming a good nail tech takes LOADS of practice, loads of experience, and lots of re-training and patience. Believe me i know. Even now i am always striving to do better and be a better tech.

3 months is no where near long enough to really know what you are doing. I hope i don't sound condescending, i really don't mean to, but you should get a techie friend to see how you do your nails and they should see any reasons for problems etc. If not you should do some trouble shooting courses with Creative or Young nails. Keep at it Hun, you will get there. Believe me there have been times a long the way where i wanted to throw in the towel, but when a client you've had problems with comes in for in fills and has no lift, there is nothing more satisfying.

Thanks for al your advice and links they are most useful. I will get there in the end.. in answer to the question the lifting is happening just slightly round theb sidewall and sometimes at the cuticle. I am trying to press the product on the nail now in zone 3 rather than just letting the product settle and just brushing towards the free edge.

Thanks again

I will try and put a picture on here so you can see what I mean..

I had this prob when I started out... I think we all have had this problem at one time or another.... I double scrub fresh and have carried on doing it this way ever since and never ever see lifting (unless the client is a picker!!) so basically......

CND cuticle remover until I am happy all deal skin cells are gone

I ask the client to wash her hands in running warm water concentrating on the lateral folds to wash out the gel

I scrub fresh each nail concentrating on the lateral folds 5 secs or more each nail (I have my nail behind the pad of scrubfresh and gently run it around the lateral fold and cuticle line - you could do the same with an orange stick)

I shape the nail, then remove the shine

Dust the nails using a fine stiff but soft art brush so I can get into the lateral folds

I then scrub fresh AGAIN in the same manner as above

I sculpt so apply forms and before applying any product to the nail I do one final swipe over the nail with a pad of scrubfresh just to be extra sure that the oils are gone (as sometimes when fitting forms you end up touching the nail)

Each tech has their own little quirks when it comes to PREP personally the above works for me - and my clients!

Latest posts

Back