Broken CND lamp-help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

natalie.nails

Reaction score
Hi there, my CND uv lamp broke today. This is the 2nd lamp im using at the moment as my new lamp broke after just 6 weeks of use, S2 kindly sent me a new lamp that I have been using now for approx 4 months. The connection on both lamps were faulty so once again S2 are replacing this one for me but they have NO lamps in stock for another two weeks :(
I am fully booked with clients that I don't wish to cancel so my question is can I temporarily use a Gelish lamp until my new lamp arrives? (I have a friend who can loan me a Gelish lamp).
TIA x

Hi there, my CND uv lamp broke today. This is the 2nd lamp im using at the moment as my new lamp broke after just 6 weeks of use, S2 kindly sent me a new lamp that I have been using now for approx 4 months. The connection on both lamps were faulty so once again S2 are replacing this one for me but they have NO lamps in stock for another two weeks :(
I am fully booked with clients that I don't wish to cancel so my question is can I temporarily use a Gelish lamp until my new lamp arrives? (I have a friend who can loan me a Gelish lamp).
TIA x

Hi,
CND shellac doesn't cure under led so the gelish lamp will be useless to you. :(
x

Whereabouts are you?

Reading previous threads I have clearly had two lamps from the 'faulty batch'
Lets hope my third lamp is ok, I will definitely be treating myself to a spare :(

What a shame. I would have loaned you one if you were closer x

My lamp has broken too, and same not in for 2 weeks, the second one I've sent back as well, but lucky I have a spare, not good though, such inconvenience.

Can they not send you a reconditioned lamp in the time being. We have had 5 faulty lamps in the last year. One of those was out of warranty and as a goodwill gesture S2 replaced with a reconditioned one.

I know people on here absolutely detest them, but you could always order a cheap 36w UV lamp off amazon or ebay for about £20ish and find one available for next day delivery which would come Monday since it's the weekend.. There pretty ugly plain white boxes but they really do work! Better off having a cheap lamp then no lamp, and it's handy for a spare if you ever get another emergency again.
(Prepared for everyone to have a huge rant at me haha)
:) xxx

Plain and simple, you could buy a cheap lamp but it will not cure the Shellac so why waste your money?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

I know people on here absolutely detest them, but you could always order a cheap 36w UV lamp off amazon or ebay for about £20ish and find one available for next day delivery which would come Monday since it's the weekend.. There pretty ugly plain white boxes but they really do work! Better off having a cheap lamp then no lamp, and it's handy for a spare if you ever get another emergency again.
(Prepared for everyone to have a huge rant at me haha)
:) xxx

I have an ugly old pink lamp

I tried it with my shellac just to try it out (I have 2 cnd lamps) and it didn't cure properly; started peeling by the evening when I had been in the bath and then under the topcoat hadn't cured properly at all it was all sticky and gooey...not worth wasting your products for clients to come back wanting them redone x

Would insurance cover you for loss of earnings in these cases?

Can I just ask........ ??
If one lamp uses a certain wattage UV bulb and another brand is a different design but with the same wattage bulb, why would they not cure properly?
Genuine question. I see people reply fairly often that you cannot use a lamp from a different brand but there never seems to be a scientific explanation.
Ta muchly :)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

This is from Doug Schoon, hope it helps :)....

Any UV nail lamp (including LED lamps) are safe to use, if used properly. Even so, you MUST use the correct lamp with the product of your choice. Otherwise, you are likely to improperly cure the product.
Doug Schoon There are 3 types of cure, "under cure", "over cure" and "proper cure". The only way to achieve proper cure is to use the proper lamp (the one sold for use with the system you chose). Otherwise you are just guessing. Lamps from different manufacturers produce different wavelengths and intensities. Even bulbs from different manufacturers produce different results. Wattage has nothing to do with how much UV light a bulb will produce. Wattage only tells you how much electricity the lamp will consume. I recommend that you only use LED lamps with UV products design specifically for use with that particular brand of LED lamp. Sorry, if you have lots of UV lamps already. That doesn't change the facts.

Also, wattage doesn't make a difference. It has nothing to do with cure. It's just a way of marketing lamps. Wattage tells you how much electricity a lamp will use per second.
Wattage is used for marketing purposes and is NOT the UV output.

Doug Schoon -- If a UV gel doesn't cure under a specific lamp, then that suggest that the proper lamp that is used to cure that product emits more UV than the lamp that you tried and/or different wavelengths, which is exactly why you must use the correct lamp.

All lamps are different. Some create more and some create less UV. You can't tell how much UV is created by the wattage or by what name is given to a lamp. That's why it is important to use the UV lamp that was designed for the system of your choice

Can I just ask........ ??
If one lamp uses a certain wattage UV bulb and another brand is a different design but with the same wattage bulb, why would they not cure properly?
Genuine question. I see people reply fairly often that you cannot use a lamp from a different brand but there never seems to be a scientific explanation.
Ta muchly :)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Hello

This research from Doug Schoon will explain it all for you.

http://www.schoonscientific.com/downloads/tech-articles/Understanding-UV-Nail-Lamps.pdf

I purchased a cheap 36watt lamp off eBay before I purchased the correct lamp for the system I use CND Shellac lamp, I found it under cured slightly as no matter how much top coat I put on, I was still getting a colour residue when using the disperse - however I still got 17 days from my first application - so I have kept my cheap lamp just in case as the CND lamps seem to break quite frequently x

I purchased a cheap 36watt lamp off eBay before I purchased the correct lamp for the system I use CND Shellac lamp, I found it under cured slightly as no matter how much top coat I put on, I was still getting a colour residue when using the disperse - however I still got 17 days from my first application - so I have kept my cheap lamp just in case as the CND lamps seem to break quite frequently x

But under curing could cause an allergic reaction if you were to use this lamp on a customer. I know you say you still got 17 days from the shellac but is it really worth causing your customer to have an allergic reaction which may mean she would never to able to use these type of products again? Don't think your insurance would cover you for that x

Latest posts

Back