Broken CND lamp!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think s2 will fix it out of warranty but I'm not sure? They may if you pay, I didn't ask? I personally couldn't wait the time it would take to send it off, get the decision and then get it sent back.
I got ours fixed the same day the second one broke, and the £20 I paid probably wouldn't have covered much of the postage price to send it off to CND!

Yes, I appreciate your position .... just wondered if the service is offered for goods out of warranty. x

Yes, I appreciate your position .... just wondered if the service is offered for goods out of warranty. x

I was told by S2 that they don't fix lamps. I am stuck now with a broken lamp, out of warranty, but not used much (110 hours).
I cannot risk buying another one as what if the same thing happens again and its out of warranty? I work part time doing nails, but its still a vital part of my income & I simply cant afford to risk staying with shellac only. I have invested in gelish which can be cured with any 36W lamp & also LED as I really had no choice other than let clients down & lose my business.
I really think my lamp should be replaced when it has only been used for 110 hours !!

I was told by S2 that they don't fix lamps. I am stuck now with a broken lamp, out of warranty, but not used much (110 hours).
I cannot risk buying another one as what if the same thing happens again and its out of warranty? I work part time doing nails, but its still a vital part of my income & I simply cant afford to risk staying with shellac only. I have invested in gelish which can be cured with any 36W lamp & also LED as I really had no choice other than let clients down & lose my business.
I really think my lamp should be replaced when it has only been used for 110 hours !!

Yes I was told the don't repair lamps and to try taking mine to an electrician mine had been used for less than 40hours. It seems it's mainly the part timers and quieter salons that are losing out as we don't use our lamps as much so they go out of warrenty before we realise theyre faulty x

Jeez the lamp issue must be huge I expect a very low percentage of cnd nail techs are on SG so just thinking there must be loads of techs in the same situation,
You's should all write a letter to head office complaining, the customer service your all receiving is shocking!

Or start fb petition just something so they realise how many are effected
and stop buying from them, now that would get their attention.

Yes, I see. This exclusivity issue with CND shellac/lamp definitely has its downside, especially now in the light of all these breakdowns. Certainly makes you think!

BTW, I'm CND trained and have two infrequently used of their older style original lamps, one of which I inherited when a friend gave Brisa a miss a while back. Never had an issue with them, but they hardly see the light of day anyway. Not being a working tech, I don't rely on them but can sympathise with all concerned. x

Last edited:
I have just sent the following message to S2 via their facebook page. I will update you of their reply when I get one.

I have a CND lamp which started to emit a really strong burning smell. It is out of warranty, but has only been used for 110 hours. I do not see this as 'fit for purpose' or 'of satisfactory quality' at a cost of £120.
The sales of goods act (1979) states that an item must be both of the above. So, my question is, do you think a CND lamp lasting 110 hours is fit for purpose and of satisfactory quality?
Regards Cath .......

I have just sent the following message to S2 via their facebook page. I will update you of their reply when I get one.

I have a CND lamp which started to emit a really strong burning smell. It is out of warranty, but has only been used for 110 hours. I do not see this as 'fit for purpose' or 'of satisfactory quality' at a cost of £XXX.
The sales of goods act (1979) states that an item must be both of the above. So, my question is, do you think a CND lamp lasting 110 hours is fit for purpose and of satisfactory quality?
Regards Cath .......

Might need to take the price out of that Cath.

Be interesting to see what they say though!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SalonGeek mobile app

I have a CND lamp which started to emit a really strong burning smell. It is out of warranty, but has only been used for 110 hours. I do not see this as 'fit for purpose' or 'of satisfactory quality' at a cost of £120.
Regards Cath .......

I would hope you could get yours replaced when they get there new stock in Hun, surly they are suppose to last a few years?
I understand there is not much can be done at the moment as there is a problem getting the lamps but hopefully the people who have faulty lamps that have not lasted long can get a replacement or fixed, this would seem a good solution. Xx

The sales of goods act (1979) states that an item must be both of the above.

The Sale of Goods Act (1979) does not apply here. You are a business customer and you have no consumer rights whatsoever.
The Supply of Goods and Services Act (1982) applies to B2B transactions.
Moreover the terms and conditions of sale set out by Sweet Squared detail this, and I quote:

6. CONSUMER RIGHTS

• 6.1 You acknowledge that you are not contracting as a consumer, and so do not have any consumer rights.

However, further on in the Ts and Cs it states:

12. OUR LIABILITY

• 12.1 We warrant to you that
    • (a) any Product purchased from us through our site is of satisfactory quality and reasonably fit for all the purposes for which products of the kind are commonly supplied;

Without wishing to sound patronising you really, really need to understand that you are businesses, and the laws of consumer rights etc do not apply.
Don't make yourselves look daft by ranting about SoGA and the like; you will have thrown backatcha.

I could be wrong but if Sweet Squared sell only to 'business' then the sale of goods act isn't relevant. They will define themselves as trade only and thus the sale of goods act won't cover you. You need to check your bill of sale to see if they have a clause like Makro does to set themselves out as business to business (trade) only. I have a Makro card provided by my job but am not a business owner myself. My purchases at Makro still are not covered by the sale of goods act even though I am in no way shopping for the business when I shop there. I think people with a faulty lamp with low hours are hard done by and I think you deserve some support from the manufacturer in that regard but going down the sale of goods act road isn't going to help you if you bought from a trade only business like Sweet Squared. Even if you only bought the kit to do your own nails and aren't in the nail business.

Sweet squared only sell to professionals. They will do the right thing by their customers as they always have done and always will do.

The Sale of Goods Act (1979) does not apply here. You are a business customer and you have no consumer rights whatsoever.
Moreover the terms and conditions of sale set out by Sweet Squared detail this, and I quote:

6. CONSUMER RIGHTS

• 6.1 You acknowledge that you are not contracting as a consumer, and so do not have any consumer rights.

12. OUR LIABILITY

• (a) any Product purchased from us through our site is of satisfactory quality and reasonably fit for all the purposes for which products of the kind are commonly supplied;

Without wishing to sound patronising you really, really need to understand that you are businesses, and the laws of consumer rights etc do not apply.
Don't make yourselves look daft by ranting about SoGA and the like; you will have thrown backatcha.

I have now amended my message to S2 to read.....

Further to my message above, it has been pointed out to me that the sog act does not apply as I am a business.

However, item 12 of your terms and conditions states :-12. OUR LIABILITY
12.1 We warrant to you that
(a) any Product purchased from us through our site is of satisfactory quality and reasonably fit for all the purposes for which products of the kind are commonly supplied;

So, my question is, do you think a lamp lasting only 110 hours fulfils the above criteria?

6. CONSUMER RIGHTS

12. OUR LIABILITY

Thank you clearing that up and I apologise that I got it wrong,

Sweet squared only sell to professionals. They will do the right thing by their customers as they always have done and always will do.

What exactly does that mean for me Geeg?
My lamp is out of warranty but has only been used for 110 hours. I think this is poor considering the price of the lamp. I would expect it to last more than one bulb change (well just over one bulb change). So, where do you think I stand?

What exactly does that mean for me Geeg?
My lamp is out of warranty but has only been used for 110 hours. I think this is poor considering the price of the lamp. I would expect it to last more than one bulb change (well just over one bulb change). So, where do you think I stand?

Cath you will have to speak to S2 but I know they will try to help. I don't work at S2 so the best thing is to speak to someone at 08452106060 ... Best to phone and not email for the quickest response. They will have to look into all claims etc. but their aim is always to help if they can.

So what if you are a professional but not a business.
I bought all my products ready to become mobile and circumstances stopped me doing that.
I only do my own nails and that won't change for the next 2-4 years.
I had the bulb problem, it just won't stay on on the right hand side.
I hv to hold it in place with my other hand.
My lamp is out of warranty and has done a total of 65 hours, not even a bulb change yet.
S2 said they couldn't do anything as it was out of warranty.
Is that fit for purpose!?

I can completely understand the frustration of people who have no lamp. I can even understand the non-CND users who are obviously enjoying this thread as they feel they are jumped on in other threads when it is their product / supplier under scrutiny.

However, how is the CND lamp expensive? If you work out the number of minutes per set of bulbs and divide that by the number of minutes per service...your profit, if you are charging what you should be charging, is huge.

Yes, you need the lamp to be working to achieve this but the lamps aren't expensive.

I can completely understand the frustration of people who have no lamp. I can even understand the non-CND users who are obviously enjoying this thread as they feel they are jumped on in other threads when it is their product / supplier under scrutiny.

However, how is the CND lamp expensive? If you work out the number of minutes per set of bulbs and divide that by the number of minutes per service...your profit, if you are charging what you should be charging, is huge.

Yes, you need the lamp to be working to achieve this but the lamps aren't expensive.

They are expensive if you are starting out on a low budget. They manufacture them for nearly half the price.

Surrey Girl through and through x

I recommend to all techs with broken lamps to find a cheap alternative instead of cancelling clients.

Yes it goes against CND principles but do you really want to suffer financially?

I do not see CND / S2 providing adequate answers or solutions in the near future. I use my NSi lamp and it works perfectly.

Surrey Girl through and through x

No matter how you work the cost out, I would expect a lamp costing £120 to last longer than one bulb change & so do S2 or why sell replacement bulbs? The point I'm trying to make is that the cost should mean that it lasts longer than 110 hours.....do you not agree?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back