broken ends - advice needed

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newatnails

Reaction score
Hi there hair geeks!
I have been living in spain for over a year now and have my hair highlighed blondie colours every 3 months or so. About September last year I noticed the top layer of my hair was all broken/singed! I do straighten my hair about twice a week with GHD straighteners. I am gutted, because even though I have regular hair cuts the ends are still singed.
Can anyone offer any advice:) :|

You need to be using a good protective spray when using any heat source on coloured hair this will help with the split ends.

There is only one way of repiring split hair, and that is by cutting it.
Once the hair is split it will carry on up the hair shaft even more.
Restructurants and thermal protectors will help, but in the long run cutting is the only way.
It sounds like its damage from the ghd's and a combination of the sun and the bleach/colours being applied to your hair.

Have a quick look here: Split-Ender Maxi Kit - The Official Website

Might keep 'em at bay for a bit, bought mine second hand on ebay for a tenner a couple of weeks ago and my hair felt gorgeous after use. Have since had a bit of a bleach disaster, (went from black to blonde, took a bit of effort and processing) so don't know if it's any good as a permanent solution but if you don't want the chop then at that price its worth a try...

As seen on TV...don't know if I would trust it. But wait..I can get the traveler bag for FREE just for ordering Right Now...that is a 20.00 dollar value. Sorry for my sarcasim..LOL

What this gadget does is it SAYS it is cutting 1/4 inch off the split ends. So what about the ends that aren't split? You have now given yourself several different layers in your hair and how many times will your hair hold up before you end up thinning your ends out so bad that you have to get 2 inches cut off of it just to make it thick and full on the bottom again..
This Might be a Quick cure but personally I wouldn't use it long term. It isn't a solve all.

Ok ok, so the advert's a bit cheesy and you do still have to have regular cuts at the hairdresser to keep it really healthy, but if she's got splits all the way up it'll take years to get to 'em without having a drastic chop. My hairdresser seemed to think it was a good idea, and if it fails what have you lost? - A tenner (which you could easily sell it for again) and the price of a haircut that these guys seem to think is probably enevitable anyway...

As i said:

This Might be a Quick cure but personally I wouldn't use it long term. It isn't a solve all.

Then if you are looking at splits that are more than a 1/4 inch? To get these off , you would have to go over your hair again with this gadget thus thinning and layering it even more.
Hair splits are like a nylon, once they start they just keep running right up the strand. There are hair repair serums you can use everyday to help keep the splits from going farther up the strand ,giving you time for your hair to grow a bit before having to get it cut again.:)
I am not meaning to shoot your idea down. But being in this business for years, I do not see the benefits and do see how it can cause more problems then just small split ends.

Have a quick look here: Split-Ender Maxi Kit - The Official Website

Might keep 'em at bay for a bit, bought mine second hand on ebay for a tenner a couple of weeks ago and my hair felt gorgeous after use. Have since had a bit of a bleach disaster, (went from black to blonde, took a bit of effort and processing) so don't know if it's any good as a permanent solution but if you don't want the chop then at that price its worth a try...

If it were any good hun,the pro's would be using them and they wouldn't be selling them here.

I absolutely agree with JDs x

Ok, i'm still a trainee so i shall bow down to your superior knowledge (not being sarky) and the "split-ender" shall go... Looks like i'm due a chop in that case though.....i'm just so reluctant to loose it when it took so long to grow! Walking around with half a tonne of splits or wearing it up all the time probably doesnt look good for the customers (or employers) though so it's probably for the best! On the upside, i used an ion repair kit on mine yesterday before colouring and though it did little for the splits, the condition is much improved so at the risk of getting laughed out the forum again, maybe that'd be something to get your hairdresser to try as well as getting it cut?

Ok, i'm still a trainee so i shall bow down to your superior knowledge (not being sarky) and the "split-ender" shall go... Looks like i'm due a chop in that case though.....i'm just so reluctant to loose it when it took so long to grow! Walking around with half a tonne of splits or wearing it up all the time probably doesnt look good for the customers (or employers) though so it's probably for the best! On the upside, i used an ion repair kit on mine yesterday before colouring and though it did little for the splits, the condition is much improved so at the risk of getting laughed out the forum again, maybe that'd be something to get your hairdresser to try as well as getting it cut?

hi there i think you tried to give a good alternative ,
although there was no other aternative other than to cut the ends off ?

I never laughed because, I for one have learned about a split ender ,so i shall be ready for my clients who ask about it . we all have to learn about different products and if they are worth pursuing or not , in my eyes you now have a little more knowledge now about split ends,

and dont be put off because everyone has to learn and this is a good site to learn on . minky

Latest posts

Back