Broken nail between appointments?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tanyalouise

Reaction score
I have a new Client who had a new gel set on. She then had a maintenance two weeks later.

However, three days after her maintenance she rang to say one of the tips had come off and could I replace it.

I get the feeling she expects this replacement free as she phrased it as "the tip has come off already and I wasn't even doing anything to break it".

I am mobile and will obviously have to travel to her house which is approx 5 miles away and I am going there tonight to replace the nail.

I don't mind replacing this one free as I always worry it is something I have done, but then again feel I need to get across to her that I cannot come out everytime a tip breaks off (obviously if a new set was just put on and then breaks within a couple of days this wouldn't be unreasonable).

If needed, I do replace two nails free of charge within a maintenance appointment.

Do you think this is fair and how would you put it across to the client so it doesn't sound unreasonable. (I'm not very assertive).

Any advice would be welcome.

Tanya

tanyalouise said:
I have a new Client who had a new gel set on. She then had a maintenance two weeks later.

However, three days after her maintenance she rang to say one of the tips had come off and could I replace it.

I get the feeling she expects this replacement free as she phrased it as "the tip has come off already and I wasn't even doing anything to break it".

I am mobile and will obviously have to travel to her house which is approx 5 miles away and I am going there tonight to replace the nail.

I don't mind replacing this one free as I always worry it is something I have done, but then again feel I need to get across to her that I cannot come out everytime a tip breaks off (obviously if a new set was just put on and then breaks within a couple of days this wouldn't be unreasonable).

If needed, I do replace two nails free of charge within a maintenance appointment.

Do you think this is fair and how would you put it across to the client so it doesn't sound unreasonable. (I'm not very assertive).

Any advice would be welcome.

Tanya

Once you offer this free you will find it harder and harder to charge for their breakages....trust me I've been there :lol: Plus the client will expect this to to be the norm!

Turn up and charge her what you feel is appropriate..I now have a minimum charge of £6.00 for a home visit one nail or not....

If I have put a new set on and the client breaks 3 the following day then the cost is £9.00 as I charge £3.00 per nail (even though my sets are £25.00 £2.50 per nail I charge £3.00 to allow for any removal of product prior to the new tip and overlay going on....I

I hope this helps you decide what to do....

Hi Tanya, i know how you feel, i am constantly blaming it on myself still am! but did it just come off! probably unlikely - you did say that your not happy about it so i would suggest charging. I did a full set of natural gel overlay a few weeks back and she had chipped quite a few, i knew it was something i had done as i hadnt capped the free edge, so i was certainly not going to charge but when i travelled to her house and repaired them she handed me £5 - i insisted i didnt want it but she said well at least it will cover your petrol as its still your time - now this is an exceptionally nice thing and i know not everything is like that but it is true, its your expense of petrol and your time so even if you dont like the thought of charging for the repair itself then at least for the petrol anyway im sure you will make the right choice that you feel comfortable with x x x

Hi Tanya

I agree with Fab Freak, do it once and it will become expected. Do you have any disclaimers in your advertising or price lists that say you are not responsible for any breakages and that they need to be paid for? If you do then firmly but politely show this to your client. If not add them!

Remeber that in the time you take to drive there, repair nail and drive home you could have had another client who wanted a new set!

Good luck and hope that helps

Taz
x

Thanks, I know you are right and I am worried if I don't charge she will be ringing me every time.

I just need to bite the bullet!

Thanks again.

You MUST charge and make it clear that there will be a charge when someone rings you. Then it is their call whether or not they want it done.

Nails do not break for no reason. Cause and effect. Newtons law.

Was it broken when she left you (or you left her)????? NO. She did something to break it. DO NOT show your insecurity by offering free repairs. ONE repair during a rebalance is acceptable ... 2 is not.

You ALL must learn to trust yourselves. Are all 10 nail tips off??? Are all your clients complaining? One out of ten is not your fault.

Yes charge her, otherwise she'll expect it all the time and will take advantage.

Did my models nails last week because she's getting cheaper rates at the mo think she expects everything to be cheaper. She spotted my dried flowers and said "oh I'd like a couple of those if that's OK", almost as if she was expecting them to be free, didn't ask how much, I charged her a £1 each when I'd finished! Probably a bit steep but was getting annoyed with her attitiude!

Deb379

I agree with the others (esp. Fab Freak, Geeg), if you are mobile, you DEFINETELY need to charge a base price, so that you are compensated for your gas, and your time. NOTHING is free, PERIOD. Go ahead and bite the bullet, then let us know how it goes!!

WELL SAID GEEG! WE ALL GET TO KNOW SOONER OR LATER THAT CLIENTS ARE GREAT INVENTORS OF THE TRUTH!!!
geeg said:
You MUST charge and make it clear that there will be a charge when someone rings you. Then it is their call whether or not they want it done.

Nails do not break for no reason. Cause and effect. Newtons law.

Was it broken when she left you (or you left her)????? NO. She did something to break it. DO NOT show your insecurity by offering free repairs. ONE repair during a rebalance is acceptable ... 2 is not.

You ALL must learn to trust yourselves. Are all 10 nail tips off??? Are all your clients complaining? One out of ten is not your fault.

Latest posts

Back