Broken nail under acrylic what to do?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anne Roberts

Reaction score
Sorry to bother everyone, I have been reading up on threads about lifting acrylic and am a little more reassured that the problem my client has is more due to the fact that she didn't want her acrylic infilled.

About three weeks ago, a client who comes to me for manicures was going on holiday and had broken one nail. I sculpted an acrylic tip and she was as pleased as punch.

When she came in for her regular manicure after returning from her holiday I recommended that the acrylic nail should be infilled as her nails grow really quickly and this would maintain a great shape and balance. She said she didn't want me to bother as you couldn't actually see the difference between her own nail and the enhancement (which I was actually quite pleased about) but I knew she may have problems further down the line, however, she was adamant. I'm quite new to all this and this lady can be quite intimidating.

She came into the salon yesterday in agony!

She had caught her nail and I could see the natural nail under the enhancement has ripped halfway across the nail - Ouch!! There was now some severe lifting at the cuticle side of the enhancement too.

I explained that normally I would soak off an enhancement but I felt in this case it might be painful as the liquid could get under her natural nail. I shortened the length as much as I could and removed as much lifting as possible, but I could see she was really uncomfortable. I asked her to come back in on Monday morning as her finger may not be as painful by then.

Can any of you give me any advice please. So sorry for the long message but I wanted to give as many facts as I could, I use Dream products and this is the first time this problem has happened to me, although I admit I am relatively new to this fantastic business.

Thanks for any help you may be able to give me.

Anne

The best thing you can do is soak off on Monday and assess what is there - is the nail saveable with another overlay or will you have to cut off the free edge and redo with either a tip or sculpt.

I agree, you need to get this overlay off. There is nothing you can do to her until you see the full damage and you might need to put a little fibre glass patch to support and fix the broken nail before another application.
Tell us what happened....

I broke my nail like that and after a couple of days, removed the product with product remover, and then sculpted a nail with form and its all ok again. Good luck!

im unsure now, cos if this was happeneing to one of my clients i think i would leave the nail on rather than soaking off, i would clean it up and glue it back together, then apply a thin overlay over it until it at least grew out to wear it would be not painful to soak off, should i not do this now then??? confused???

I'll be interest to see what happens with this one.

I can't really adivse you anymore than the others.

I would soak it off too. If you glued it back down as Nikki suggested she may do, which is tempting, i'd think you'd run the risk of a greenie. Espeacially as it's been left a few days too.

Once it's off you can assess the nail better & see what damage there is. It may not be as severe as you first thought. Then you's probably be able to tip & overlay it.

I had a client who snapped her thumb nail bed right accross & it bled under the acrylic, but there was no lifting at all! I got her to bend the nail down to open up the crack & dropped glue into it. It stayed sealed & grew out with no problems. There was no lifting of product so i thought i would be safe to do that.

lotus blossom said:
im unsure now, cos if this was happeneing to one of my clients i think i would leave the nail on rather than soaking off, i would clean it up and glue it back together, then apply a thin overlay over it until it at least grew out to wear it would be not painful to soak off, should i not do this now then??? confused???

i would do this too....give it a good clean and repair as best as you can.....if your wrong nikki then so am i....:lol: xx

Bagpuss said:
i would do this too....give it a good clean and repair as best as you can.....if your wrong nikki then so am i....:lol: xx

lol angie!!! i personally couldnt even bear the thought of dipping my sore finger in remover ouch! but i would put up with dropping scrubfresh in the crack for a few seconds though

I waited two days before soaking it off and sculpted onn a new nail with a form. It didnt hurt aftr two days. :)

lotus blossom said:
lol angie!!! i personally couldnt even bear the thought of dipping my sore finger in remover ouch! but i would put up with dropping scrubfresh in the crack for a few seconds though

i agree with you two aswell, surely it cannot be good for an open wound to be exposed to something as strong as remover? Maybe someone with heaps of experience will have something else to say, but i would take down the length to nothing and even be tempted to cover with a plaster so as not to catch it further.

This is just a thought.... may be you would be able to soak it off by putting the acetone on wipes and then wrap it in foil? That way the finger and the sore nail would not actually soak, but the tip would come off I think. The body heat inside the foil would make the process faster, I think....

try to soak it off and she will hit the roof as it will sting like H**L!!!! I cracked my index finger like this just before Christmas too, I put a bit of pressure on the free edge to open up the crack a little and cleaned with an alcohol wipe (that stung enough!!!) then I put gel bond in the crack and pushed up on the free edge so that the pressure stuck it all back together...then I filed the gelbond and product down a bit but not too far, filed down the free edge as far as possible.. stuck on a CND Formation tip with full well and just blended in slightly where the ledge was between tip and nail but no where near as much as normal so the full well was still covering the damaged area ( a bit like a splint would be). Put L&P over the whole lot and it grew out eventually with no problems, with no soaking off at all. I have also done this for a client. I know that using adhesive to stick a nail on or repair a crack is not the ideal thing but having cleaned it with an alcohol wipe would have helped to cleanse/disinfect the area first, and that was the only thing I could think of to do that wouldnt really really hurt!!!

Thanks for the advice, she didn't turn up yesterday but I'm sure she will later in the week, I'll keep you all informed!!!

Anne

Latest posts

Back