Broken wrist advice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yhannah27

Reaction score
Hi everyone .

This is my First time using this page. Wondering if anybody could help me with a bit of advice. On Sunday I broke my wrist, I need to be in a cast for four weeks and a splint for two weeks which takes me to the 5th of July. I’m hoping to be back at work on the 6th of July depending on the government guidelines obviously. I’m just a bit worried im going to have so many clients desperate for their hair doing, (I’m self-employed & mobile so work alone)
I don’t know if wrist would be able to do so much so soon :(
has anyone ever hurt wrist and how did you cope going back too work? I feel lucky that I did it now and not in a few weeks time as it would be a lot worse.
Thank you :)

Hi, I'm sorry to hear about your wrist. I hope it's not too painful. I'm self employed and mobile too. Not sure how long you have been working or how loyal your clients are but I had to have an urgent hysterectomy mid November & was worried about my Christmas trade!! I didn't even tell some clients as I thought I could be back to work asap as I was fit and have bounced back quickly with other procedures. I did a few favourite clients in the end (very light trim and r/g, they shampoo‘d & dried). I ended up cancelling all the others. The upshot is, I was in so much pain I should have cancelled everyone & I'm not right 6 months later (I'm actually happy to not be working at the moment as I've had extra time to rest). My advice is, listen to your body & frustratingly, only return if you feel fit enough . Your clients may go elsewhere once if they are desperate but remember most salons wont take new clients once open anyway. If you need more time, take it. I lost one client while I was off & she was pretty selfish anyway, so no great loss. All the others were patient & happy to wait for me. Also you could use Covid 19 as a convenient excuse to phase yourself in, saying you are worried about cross contamination from house to house and won't be cramming everyone in at once. I have text my clients saying that already & thanked them for their patience as I will be working on a reduced schedule initially for all our sakes. Everyone has responded gratefully. I spent so many sleepless nights worrying about rushing back to work after my op & I didn't need to. I know everyone has a different situation but I hope this helps.

And, as an afterthought to my previous lengthy reply, it is highly likely our services will be restricted upon our return, as Germany and Spain's hairdressers weren't allowed to blow dry due to water particles in the air, so we will probably be following suit. Good luck with your recovery.

Hello YHannah27,
I’m a Beauty Therapist and also broke my wrist just before Christmas it’s been a nightmare tbh - I had wires put in it on Jan 2nd and then managed a few clients the week before lockdown just to see how it felt but then had to close.
It has taken a lot longer thanI thought to get anywhere back to where it was and even though I can now use it, don’t think it’ll ever be the same! It now doesn’t bend!!!
Anyway, take care of it and do your physio lots and lots! Xx

And, as an afterthought to my previous lengthy reply, it is highly likely our services will be restricted upon our return, as Germany and Spain's hairdressers weren't allowed to blow dry due to water particles in the air, so we will probably be following suit. Good luck with your recovery.
Thank you for your reply :) xx

Latest posts

Back