Brow Shaping Disaster

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Belle Fleur

Reaction score
My teacher demonstrated brow shaping on me and used strip wax (which is the policy of the school). I now have two red painful stripes under both eyebrows where the skin has lifted. This happened on my leg in a large area (I suspect because the wax was left on for a long time), and it scabbed over and took weeks to heal. Naturally I am terrified that this might happen again, or scarring, or pigmentation. A pharmacist told me to apply hydrocortisone cream for a couple of days and keep it moist with Bio Oil. The pain has lessened thank goodness.

I'm just wondering what advice others give to clients if they lift skin to that degree and what you do to minimise this happening? x

bless you - prevention easier than cure!
hard/hot wax far kinder on the skin and used with an oil barrier really helps protect it. AND thorough consultation prior ...there really are sooo many things that can contribute to brow grazing - text-book obvious and not-so obvious eg many basic high street anti-aging creams are getting loaded with active ingredients which are making area delicate and are often not registered/reviewed at consultation point.
Even with hard wax/oil/taught skin I have a history of grazing everytime - goes "crapey" as it scabs then heals within days.
For me (& my clients alike) I recommend threading.

I agree totally VelvetPatch! I am not a fan of the strip wax thing for facial waxing - it's fine for some but in my mind not worth the risk. We've been taught to do brazilians with mostly strip as well.... I hope you're right that it will only take a few days to clear up! I look like a freak and everyone in the street is staring at my brow area!

My teacher demonstrated brow shaping on me and used strip wax (which is the policy of the school).

I'd be concerned with the fact that your school is teaching facial waxing and brazilians with strip wax. Are they up to date with the rest of what they are teaching?

I certainly hope so! I personally don't agree but I did read an article recently saying there is a growing trend toward strip. The teacher said it must be because I have sensitive skin - but I don't. The affiliated salons use strip too, and it's policy in student clinic - maybe they are trying to cut costs.... Regardless, I'm nervous about doing this to clients in clinic. I would die if a client walked out looking like I do right now! :irked:

My teacher demonstrated brow shaping on me and used strip wax (which is the policy of the school). I now have two red painful stripes under both eyebrows where the skin has lifted. This happened on my leg in a large area (I suspect because the wax was left on for a long time), and it scabbed over and took weeks to heal. Naturally I am terrified that this might happen again, or scarring, or pigmentation. A pharmacist told me to apply hydrocortisone cream for a couple of days and keep it moist with Bio Oil. The pain has lessened thank goodness.

I'm just wondering what advice others give to clients if they lift skin to that degree and what you do to minimise this happening? x

I agree facial skin is far too delicate to use strip wax. Hot wax, using oil underneath as a barrier is way safer. As to what after care treatment to recommend to clients I always recommend using Aloe Vera Jelly, which brings down any minor inflammation and is fantastic for burns. The brand that I recommend is Forever Living Products Aloe Vera Jelly which you should be be able to obtain easily.

Hi

I qualified in beauty 12yrs ago however found my calling in hairdressing & so never really did beauty. Can I just ask....when your refering to using oil are you applying wax over the top???...Does this not cause a barrier or am I reading this totally wrong?

Hi Storm, yes when using oil wax is put over the top. Yep, sounded strange to me at first also. So cleanse skin as normal, then rub the tiniest amount of oil on to the area to be waxed to form a barrier on the skin. If you can see the oil shining then you have applied too much so just blot with a tissue. Then wax as normal, hot/hard wax will adhere to hair and skin is protected. this can also be used under warm/strip wax.

I always use strip wax for facial waxing, that is how I was taught and all salons in my district use it, haven't had this problem in all my 6 years experience. If your skin was removed then either she left the strip on too long before pulling, the wax was too hot or she didn't stretch the skin enough or in the right areas. Yes hot wax could be better for facial waxing but the products are only as good as the therapist using them. She could have tested the wax on your wrist as everyone's skin tolerance differs.

I'm going to stick my neck out and say that I think it should be outlawed to use strip wax on faces/underarms/bikinis!

I rarely, if ever, use wax of any persuasion on eyebrows; I prefer to use tweezing, threading and scissors to achieve the perfect brows.

For brows I also use tweezers and scissors, with perron rigot crystal ocean wax and a thin layer of oil underneath .. more control for me than hot wax and a very gentle wax.

Face - same wax as above as I find that the hot wax does not remove some of the finer hairs.

Under arms generally use perron rigot eurose hot wax.

Basic bikini - warm wax

All other bikini treatments hot wax.

Jacqui xx

I did apply aloe vera as I'd used it on my leg when it happened there, but it stung so much on my brows that i had to take it off.

We've been taught to use powder under the wax, and oil after to soothe. It's really interesting to read how others use oil in this way. Do you have to use a particular type of oil or does it not matter?

Thanks so much to everyone for giving me so much feedback, I really appreciate it!
xxx

I certainly hope so! I personally don't agree but I did read an article recently saying there is a growing trend toward strip. The teacher said it must be because I have sensitive skin - but I don't. The affiliated salons use strip too, and it's policy in student clinic - maybe they are trying to cut costs.... Regardless, I'm nervous about doing this to clients in clinic. I would die if a client walked out looking like I do right now! :irked:
There are only 2 reasons and both come down to money...it is quicker to use strip so you can do more clients, therefore more money - and - strip is cheaper to buy.

They also shouldn't be teaching you to use powder. You can use pretty much any oil but there are pre waxing oils that you can buy. I buy all my stuff through Norris Hair and Beauty Suppliers here in Brisbane but do a google search for a beauty supplier close to where you are. Actually, Lycon do a pre waxing oil - and it's a good Aussie brand - all their products are great.

Honestly, I'm a bit concerned who you are training through after reading your other thread about eyelash perming as well. How much longer have you got to go before you finish your course?

Last edited:
There are only 2 reasons and both come down to money...it is quicker to use strip so you can do more clients, therefore more money - and - strip is cheaper to buy.

They also shouldn't be teaching you to use powder. You can use pretty much any oil but there are pre waxing oils that you can buy. I buy all my stuff through Norris Hair and Beauty Suppliers here in Brisbane but do a google search for a beauty supplier close to where you are. Actually, Lycon do a pre waxing oil - and it's a good Aussie brand - all their products are great.

Honestly, I'm a bit concerned who you are training through after reading your other thread about eyelash perming as well. How much longer have you got to go before you finish your course?

Thanks so much for that info soriminah! I will definitely start practicing with oil and see how that goes. I must say I've never had powder used on me in a salon. I also hate the wax that we use. I might try Lycon for home practice.

We'll finish at the end of November. I am at this point pretty much just hanging in there waiting for that day. I absolutely love beauty and learning new things but there have been various problems with the course so far. I'm not sure what I can do about those, but I am determined to become a professional and skilled therapist!

The only thing you need to be aware of with the oil is that you just use the tiniest amount. I put a little bit in my palm and rub it between my hands, than rub it on the person. You'll probably then need to use a tissue to blot the area if it looks slick or shiny. Have a practice rubbing the oil onto one of your arms and you'll see how little you actually need to use.

Hang on with your couse til you finish but them you might want to look at some updates. Some suppliers do training info sessions. Really, your supplier will become your best friend with the hints and tips they can give you. They can tell you what are the better selling products so you know what other people are using and they can put you into contact with other reputable trainers if you want to learn something new or update your skills.

When you say it was left too long……….why didn't she remove it straight away? Just curious.

It could be anything from removing the wax in the wrong direction, not stretching, blah blah. Some people are just sensitive. Hopefully it won't happen again. x

I agree totally VelvetPatch! I am not a fan of the strip wax thing for facial waxing - it's fine for some but in my mind not worth the risk. We've been taught to do brazilians with mostly strip as well.... I hope you're right that it will only take a few days to clear up! I look like a freak and everyone in the street is staring at my brow area!
Hi the teacher might be following on the curriculam , we show the students how to hot wax the eyebrows , lip ect but most of the exam boards require strip to be used when performing exams , which i think should be changed , as far as braziliians go it does depend on where you are trained ,yes strip is more economical for the salon but the clients will keep coming back to you for the hot wax as its easier on them !!

I always use strip wax for facial waxing, that is how I was taught and all salons in my district use it, haven't had this problem in all my 6 years experience. If your skin was removed then either she left the strip on too long before pulling, the wax was too hot or she didn't stretch the skin enough or in the right areas. Yes hot wax could be better for facial waxing but the products are only as good as the therapist using them. She could have tested the wax on your wrist as everyone's skin tolerance differs.
Yes I totally agree. I do strip wax too and have never had a problem. I always test it on my wrist. Like you said products are only as good as the therapist using them.

I'm currently studying beauty therapy on an ITEC course and we too are taught to use powder and are not allowed to use hot wax anywhere on the face. This is apparently an ITEC stipulation and our tutor is forever telling us on the course, this isn't the way you would do it in industry but this is the way ITEC says it has to be done!! So basically we're going to end up with a qualification that isn't going to be completely relevant in industry today!! We've asked her to give us a day at the end of the course where she runs through how you would actually perform treatments in the real world!

When you say it was left too long……….why didn't she remove it straight away? Just curious.

It could be anything from removing the wax in the wrong direction, not stretching, blah blah. Some people are just sensitive. Hopefully it won't happen again. x

We were all doing legs and the teacher made everyone stop so that she could come over to everyone and check their technique. My partner and I were last - as a result the wax was left on my leg for about 15 minutes. By the time it was removed a hell of a lot of skin came with it! I am not sure but I assumed that that was the reason.

True, I didn't feel like she was supporting the skin when she did my brows. I just couldn't believe it, I've had my brows waxed a million times and have NEVER had anything even remotely like this happen. Worse, a few of the girls have told me that it was clear after she removed the first strip that the skin had lifted badly, and then she went ahead and did the other one! She could have used hot instead after seeing that reaction. I'm cross! Anyway, it's really helpful getting feedback and reading other threads on here.

A friend did my underarms and we thought we'd give the oil a go - the (hot) wax was lifting at the edges so we weren't sure it was going to work, but it was great! Can you use oil under strip? My strip wax tub says the skin must be free of any oil....

Thanks again to all you lovely geeks who have offered your point of view x

Latest posts

Back