Brow wax-why does client’s skin go dry and scabby afterwards?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Glamour Fairy

Reaction score
I have a long term client who has a brow wax every month or so. All has been fine, but the last 2 times, she says her skin feels burnt and goes scabby afterwards. I ALWAYS check the heat of the wax which is fine, i use the same wax, the same strips, everything is the same. the last time, I did smaller patches at a time and did more tweezing rather than going over the same area, but it still happened. Could it be connected to when she's on her period? Any advice would be most appreciated. Thank you.

Maybe worth going through another consultation with her to check she's not on any new meds/ using new skincare which may contain ahas/using medicated skincare/ change in anything really because there is obviously something causing the skin to react to the wax. How old is she? Has she shown you what they look like after? If so have you got a pic? What wax do you use? One million questions! x

Also does she have any underlying medical conditions? X

I have a long term client who has a brow wax every month or so. All has been fine, but the last 2 times, she says her skin feels burnt and goes scabby afterwards. I ALWAYS check the heat of the wax which is fine, i use the same wax, the same strips, everything is the same. the last time, I did smaller patches at a time and did more tweezing rather than going over the same area, but it still happened. Could it be connected to when she's on her period? Any advice would be most appreciated. Thank you.
This has happened to me and apparently it was to do with some medications the client was taking but I always wonder so I am also very interested in this.

As BeautyGeek93 says, absolutely check again any meds she's on / been on (inc. antibiotics) and any changes to her skin care products (Retinol etc) And, as you say, her monthly cycle. Also double check your wax temp.... not hot enough can also lift skin. Try using Hot wax, rather than strip, with a pre-oil, and apply a high quality Aloe Vera product post-wax. I doubt it's anything you're doing, and you'll probably find there is something your client is using / taking that hasn't occurred to her could compromise her wax treatment.

Sometimes this can just happen. With one of my clients, it was because she always came first thing. She’d shower and rush over. Did her later in the day and all was fine. It can be because the client is hot/rushing/due on/skincare and sometimes it can just happen. I’d tweeze her from now on or try non strip wax unless you’re using that anyway.

Vic x

Definitely check medication, I usally wax my sons unibrow :D but he recently gone onto roaccutane and the las time his skin tore:(

Definitely check medication, I usally wax my sons unibrow :D but he recently gone onto roaccutane and the las time his skin tore:(

As a therapist surly you would know roaccutane is a huge contraindication to waxing ! Rather take your son for threading or if he allows you to tweeze them out (my guess is he won’t sit still)

Latest posts

Back