Brow waxing graze

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lmacanaspie

Reaction score
Hi, this is the first time posting not sure if its in the right place or asking the right questions so sorry if I'm doing it all wrong!

I have had a couple incidents of grazing clients brows when waxing. Its happened to a couple of clients years apart but its really panicking as I feel like I'm doing everything right - prepping the skin, thin layer of wax, stretching the skin etc. so I have had a client and she's been for 3 brow wax and tints 1st on was fine, 2nd tiny graze and 3rd graze on each eye!! I've done other brow waxes between her appointments and it hasn't happened to others but I'm worrying as I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong! I have read threads on here about applying oil or talc before waxing but I'm not sure which one is best to try? And if oil, which oil is best?

Thanks! Lauren

Hi, this is the first time posting not sure if its in the right place or asking the right questions so sorry if I'm doing it all wrong!

I have had a couple incidents of grazing clients brows when waxing. Its happened to a couple of clients years apart but its really panicking as I feel like I'm doing everything right - prepping the skin, thin layer of wax, stretching the skin etc. so I have had a client and she's been for 3 brow wax and tints 1st on was fine, 2nd tiny graze and 3rd graze on each eye!! I've done other brow waxes between her appointments and it hasn't happened to others but I'm worrying as I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong! I have read threads on here about applying oil or talc before waxing but I'm not sure which one is best to try? And if oil, which oil is best?

Thanks! Lauren

You MUST use oil especially on the face, I can’t believe you aren’t using anything!

I would flat out refuse to have a wax done without oil because it really really hurts in comparison. Eyebrows don’t hurt that much but I barely get any redness with oil compared to days of discomfort without. I don’t like talc, however will use it on very hot and moist days as the sweat from clients doesn’t go well with oil and it takes twice as long.

Just a bottle of grapeseed massage oil will do, but kaeso does a nice wax oil.

Are you using the Prewax products for your brand of wax? I have a very nice wax which I wouldn't be able to use over oil - it doesn't work. I use this wax with its own pre wax gel. If the skin is delicate or soft, I use a different wax which works over oil because that's kinder to delicate skin. I use Outback organics botanical oil which comes in a spray bottle. I wipe off the excess. It's a good retail sale, clients love it

If you are using hot wax, which sets on the skin, it is customary to use a barrier. Talc is traditional - more modern formulations work better over oil. You need the barest smear of something quite light, not a rich almond oil. Many warm waxes also work well over a smidge of oil - you can use talc on dry legs, but I prefer to educate my clients about how hydrated skin feels.

Unless you are using talc, properly prepped skin should feel like it's just had a nice facial - very hydrated, not oily for both warm and hot waxes. You need to experiment so you don't get in a pickle in a treatment.

Ask your client what face care she uses. Any product which "brightens" and advises staying out of the sun may have thinned the skin - Vit C, Vit A, AHA's - they all exfoliate. Your client should avoid using them over the area to be waxed for a few days or switch to threading instead. If your client isn't using high end skin care - suggest that she invests in a good cream because a healthy skin shouldn't graze so easily.

Some clients are just tricky. Indian skins and black skins are butter soft. That's why threading is used.

Other things to try are waxing in small sections. I wax around the Brow in 7 sections using an orange stick - about 3 sections under the brow, a vertical line at each end and 2 sections across the top. I don't get skinned this way - but the college method of one or 2 sections under the brow will skin me. (I'm half Indian).

Thanks for the replies, I have trained with Lash Perfect Hi Brow so I use their pre wax products before I do anything. I have never been shown on any courses to use oil or talc with brow waxing, and have had my own brows waxed and never has oil used. But because this has now happened twice I thought maybe I should try something.
I wax in 4 sections 2 below and 2 above (if needed)

She also has facials with me and I have asked if anything has changed with her skincare routine since the last time I see her or any new medication but nothing. I really enjoy doing brows and just worrying its just me doing something wrong I don't want it to keep happening.

The only thing I'd suggest you change for this client is to wax in smaller sections.

I've grazed my own daughter's brows. It happens sometimes no matter how careful you are.

In this hot weather have a bowl of cold water handy and apply a cold compress straightaway. Then slather on aftercare - aloe Vera or post wax cream. I squidge it on the back of my hand and apply loads with a cotton bud. It absorbs in seconds. Sometimes this can save the day when you think you've grazed a client!

I have also never been taught oil at college. We had pre wax (cleanser) and talc was only used if sweaty.

I was taught oil under hot wax, nothing but pre wax before warm wax at college.

Young skin and hormonal skin are also more likely to graze.
Oil is generally used with hot wax but I’ve taken to using it with strip when doing brows. You have to pat it on lightly otherwise the strip wax doesn’t sit on the skin and won’t be as effective.
Always ask your client if they’re on a medication that may affect the skins sensitivity too.
If in doubt, use oil.
Don’t worry too much. A graze will heal. If a client has grazed though, I would only use tweezers in the future.

That's really useful to know :) thanks

Latest posts

Back