Brown to blonde highlights

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jungle

Reaction score
I’m level 2 qualified but don’t do much hairdressing now, just my mum & daughter.
My daughter is level 5 base, previously had wella kp 4/07 all over.

Wants to be blonde, so I highlighted with Blondor & 12%, came out level 8/9 & I toned with Illumina 9/60 & 1.9%.

Now she wants more Blonde highlights but with a more ash tone, I was thinking CT 10/6 + 8/81 & 1.9% to tone the highlights.

Should I do a root smudge, In an ash colour, not sure what would work best

many thanks guys

I’m level 2 qualified but don’t do much hairdressing now, just my mum & daughter.
My daughter is level 5 base, previously had wella kp 4/07 all over.

Wants to be blonde, so I highlighted with Blondor & 12%, came out level 8/9 & I toned with Illumina 9/60 & 1.9%.

Now she wants more Blonde highlights but with a more ash tone, I was thinking CT 10/6 + 8/81 & 1.9% to tone the highlights.

Should I do a root smudge, In an ash colour, not sure what would work best

many thanks guys
What I would do is highlight any of the hair that is darker than a 9, use a low developer, you don't need anything higher than 4%
Wait until it's a clean level 10. Then you could do a root smudge with CT 7/89+8/81 +1.9% and blend it in to CT 10/6 + 8/81 +1.9%

What I would do is highlight any of the hair that is darker than a 9, use a low developer, you don't need anything higher than 4%
Wait until it's a clean level 10. Then you could do a root smudge with CT 7/89+8/81 +1.9% and blend it in to CT 10/6 + 8/81 +1.9%
I like the idea of a ashy root smudge. Would the CT 10/6 + 8/81 be a lovely ash blonde do u think?

I like the idea of a ashy root smudge. Would the CT 10/6 + 8/81 be a lovely ash blonde do u think?
Would u do the root smi

Would u do the root smi
Not sure, only if there is a definite line to be seen at the roots.
I am pushing myself here cos I only did the basics of colour at college back in 2005-2007 so I am still learning but yeas I do like the idea of tha 7/89 & 8/81 on there.
Thank you so much for your help.
I will send u a photo when it’s done.
I am just waiting for my delivery from Adel wholesale. My daughter lives at home so it’s ok xx

10/6 +8/81 is one of my favourite combinations! It's more white silver if you mix it equal amounts.
If you want a paler, or more natural looking ash, then use more 10/6.

10/6 +8/81 is one of my favourite combinations! It's more white silver if you mix it equal amounts.
If you want a paler, or more natural looking ash, then use more 10/6.

Thank you Ronray for the advice.
Would it be more creamier colour if I add more CT 10/6. I think a more natural ash, than white would be much better.

Would it be more creamier colour if I add more CT 10/6. I think a more natural ash, than white would be much better.

I’m not sure how long to leave it on, I will follow manufacturers instructions but any advice appreciated if u have used this to tone before on a level 10 base. Kind regards

I would do 4 parts 10/6 + 1part 8/81 if you wnat a nice pale Ash blonde. Use with 1.9% on towel dried hair. Leave for at least 10 mins, maximum of 20. But just keep watching it. With something like this I don't usually leave the client. I usually wipe colour off the hair and see how it looks. If it looks perfect, wait an extra 1-2 minutes to allow for the difference after one wash :)

I would do 4 parts 10/6 + 1part 8/81 if you wnat a nice pale Ash blonde. Use with 1.9% on towel dried hair. Leave for at least 10 mins, maximum of 20. But just keep watching it. With something like this I don't usually leave the client. I usually wipe colour off the hair and see how it looks. If it looks perfect, wait an extra 1-2 minutes to allow for the difference after one wash :)

I will definitely try that & I would always watch the toner, u can’t be too careful.
For the root smudge I would do equal parts, would u do the same, mix CT 7/89 & 8/81.

Thanks Ronray, your advice is very valuable to me, never done a root smudge before, xx

Last edited:
I will definitely try that & I would always watch the toner, u can’t be too careful.
For the root smudge I would do equal parts, would u do the same, mix CT 7/89 & 8/81.

Thanks Ronray, your advice is very valuable to me, never down a root smudge before, xx
Yes I would do equal amounts. Of you want a softer more ash beige result you could do 7/97 + 8/81 equal amounts with 1.9%
The best way to do a root blend/smudge is on damp / towel dried hair. Create peaks and troughs so you don't create a solid line. Don't forget when you apply the lighter toner to the mid lengths and ends, you need to smudge the root colour with it so you create a blend, not just darker and light. I hope this helps :)

Last edited:
Yes I would do equal amounts. Of you want a softer more ash beige result you could do 7/97 + 8/81 equal amounts with 1.9%
The best way to do a root blend/smudge is on damp / towel dried hair. Create peaks and troughs so you don't create a solid line. Don't forget when you apply the lighter to nwr to the mid lengths and ends, you need to smudge the root colour with it so you create a blend, not just darker and light. I hope this helps :)

I’m excited to do my daughters hair now, come on Adel wholesale, I need my colours.
Ronray thank you so much for this advice, I will definitely send a photo when finished

I’m excited to do my daughters hair now, come on Adel wholesale, I need my colours.
Ronray thank you so much for this advice, I will definitely send a photo when finished
Yes please do :)

Gone from a base 4 gradually to base 9/10 highlights. @ronray

Attachments

• C3CDFA77-8685-44CD-A61E-A7DFE325F048.jpeg
    C3CDFA77-8685-44CD-A61E-A7DFE325F048.jpeg
    403.7 KB · Views: 45

Latest posts

Back