Brown to blonde ombré - need colour correction help asap!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littlemiss1t

Reaction score
Hi,
I was a dark Brown into a blonde ombre and I asked my hair dresser to make the blonde a more platinum blonde with a light grey mixed in throughout.
I wanted the Brown in my hair a lighter shade and higher up.

Now, I have white blonde and shades of an almost light Blue / Grey at the ends, then the top of the Brown is an orange colour, plus some of the original Brown. I cannot stand having this amount of colour throughout my hair and so inconstant - can anyone help with something I can buy locally to tone it all down and would anything help to to look blended?

She put bleach on to lift, then a 10vs Goldwell, then used a toner as the Orange was really obvious. I am going out tonight as well.

I am in the beauty business but do know a good amount of colour knowledge from working closely with hairdressers and the various colours I have gone through.

She is unavailable to do anything until next Monday or Tuesday :(

Thanks in advance.

Carly

Blue and orange are opposites on the colour wheel so they need completely different colours to tone them down. If you applied another colour all over, you’re going to end up with an even bigger mess to correct, so I wouldn’t recommend trying that.
Was it ok when it was first done and it’s just that the colour has started to wash out now?
Definitely don’t use a purple shampoo as that will make the ends far worse.
Without more info. I’m going to guess that it’s become very porous from all the bleaching and re-colouring and so no colour is likely to hold for very long although a direct dye type semi might stain the the ends if you’re not careful.

Honestly?
Wear it up or curl it but don’t try to re-colour it yourself. Wait until your hairdresser has a chance to look at it.

Thank you for your reply and comments - No, when she was washing the colour off, she said she would use a toner, but made one herself using Goldwell as she didn't have any... Then washed it off and said that she didn't think I would like it...

I actually did use a Silver shampoo this morning = touch of Silver and it hasn't done anything good or bad.

All I want to do is go and buy a Red or Pink to put over it!

I have been having Brown to Blonde Ombre for 2 years and over time, the colour just looks "built up" with no nice texture, just block colour and more of a line separating the 2 colours, rather than blended...

I always send over a selection of photos from pinterest so she gets an idea of what I am looking for, but she said my hiar is very resistant?

Now I don't know what colour I want to be - I have been lots of different.

My hair was a very short graduated bob, so the back of the hair line is still only on the nape of my neck (I sat last night trying to put it up with grips how I used to wear it, but it wouldn't go) and did curl bits to try making it look softer.

I feel very unattractive and now really stuck with want I want to do with my hair :(

Blue and orange are opposites on the colour wheel so they need completely different colours to tone them down. If you applied another colour all over, you’re going to end up with an even bigger mess to correct, so I wouldn’t recommend trying that.
Was it ok when it was first done and it’s just that the colour has started to wash out now?
Definitely don’t use a purple shampoo as that will make the ends far worse.
Without more info. I’m going to guess that it’s become very porous from all the bleaching and re-colouring and so no colour is likely to hold for very long although a direct dye type semi might stain the the ends if you’re not careful.

Honestly?
Wear it up or curl it but don’t try to re-colour it yourself. Wait until your hairdresser has a chance to look at it.

Would putting an ash blonde all over colour help - she has recommended buying an ashy violet shade - but this means a quick stop at the local Sainsbury's as I am limited on time - what should I do / buy?

Resistant hair is a term applied to naturally coarse grey hair or Asian hair that has a very tightly packed cuticle layer that needs a special formula to colour it, so is that likely to apply in your case?

I have no idea what colour products Sainsbury’s sell but a box dye is meant to be used on virgin hair so they’re not formulated for colour correction. I’d be wary of applying one all over.

Do they sell any coloured hairsprays? At least if it’s not great, it will wash out easily.
I guess before you use a box dye, you have to ask yourself if you are willing to risk it looking worse than it does now?

Thank you for your reply and comments - No, when she was washing the colour off, she said she would use a toner, but made one herself using Goldwell as she didn't have any... Then washed it off and said that she didn't think I would like it...

Is she a mobile hairdresser? I’m wondering why she didn’t have the correct colours to mix a suitable toner? If she knew it wasn’t what you’d asked for and she’d made a mistake, I think she should have prioritised putting it right.

Resistant hair is a term applied to naturally coarse grey hair or Asian hair that has a very tightly packed cuticle layer that needs a special formula to colour it, so is that likely to apply in your case?

I have no idea what colour products Sainsbury’s sell but a box dye is meant to be used on virgin hair so they’re not formulated for colour correction. I’d be wary of applying one all over.

Do they sell any coloured hairsprays? At least if it’s not great, it will wash out easily.
I guess before you use a box dye, you have to ask yourself if you are willing to risk it looking worse than it does now?

I have read up to use a Blue food colouring with a White shampoo to help tone it done, so that is what I will do for now until she can see me again - do you know much about this DIY toner?

Is she a mobile hairdresser? I’m wondering why she didn’t have the correct colours to mix a suitable toner? If she knew it wasn’t what you’d asked for and she’d made a mistake, I think she should have prioritised putting it right.

Yes she is mobile but I go to her house. She does have a good variety of colours too. I don't know if it is from the build up of blonde and dark brown or something different but leaning towards the Blue food colouring and shampoo to tone?

No, please don’t do that to yourself! The only time I used food colour on my hair was when I was about 13yrs old and it dripped all over my face when it rained. :eek:

Could you post a picture front & back so I have a better idea of what it looks like?

These are what I was looking for...

Attachments

• 915a311ffd120b6a8c0e61bfd7f801fd.jpg
    915a311ffd120b6a8c0e61bfd7f801fd.jpg
    240.1 KB · Views: 11
This was what it was before...

Attachments

• 20190126_203000.jpg
    20190126_203000.jpg
    301.9 KB · Views: 26
This is my hair this morning...

No, please don’t do that to yourself! The only time I used food colour on my hair was when I was about 13yrs old and it dripped all over my face when it rained. :eek:

Would it not be ok mixed in with shampoo and rinsed properly in the shower?

Great - now I'm trying to upload the photo of my hair now, as a single photo and it is saying the file is too large, so I cannot upload or copy and paste for you to see it!

Latest posts

Back