Bruised toe advice wanted

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monkigems

Reaction score
Hi, I did an older lady a pedicure last week. Her nails were very bad and long and her big toe nails were so thick I struggled to get clippers around them. I know I should have refused and referred her to a podiatrist, but I didn’t. She has just sent me this picture to say she now has a bruise develop over the last week. Would this be down to me trying to clipper the nails? I don’t know how to reply?! She said she loved the pedicure but this bruise has developed...any advice on what to reply with?

Attachments

• 8F9868D7-FC8E-46D3-BE14-459C0061FAD0.jpeg
    8F9868D7-FC8E-46D3-BE14-459C0061FAD0.jpeg
    246.2 KB · Views: 59
I am not convinced you have done anything wrong. Could be that the severely thick toe nail that is involuted has been pushed by foot wear being too tight on the end of her toes.
The nail does look like it is too long actually , considering it was done a week ago.

I have clients that I have regularly provided pedicures on for the last 32 years and as a natural evolution of some , have become thickened and involuted. They don't want to go anywhere else other than my salon, it is their choice. If I felt the job was out of my capacity , I then send them to my podiatry friend.
Maybe file them in future instead.
I clip holding the clippers at an angle and it nips away the nail, and then I file to neaten the cut. Occasionally I use sturdy cuticle nippers to nip at the nail instead.

I think it's her footwear that is the cause , has she gone back to the gym or changed her shoes recently? Is she on blood thinners? Only you know your client and can ask about lifestyle to help with an explanation.
Good wishes to you .

I don't mean this as a "I told you so" comment, but this is why techs are forewarned and to work ONLY on healthy nails and clients.

Because they are older, the structure of the skin is weaker - therefore it is a possibility that force from the nippers transfer to the matrix area. That said, I've worked on my fair share of older people and never had this happen. It's hard to diagnose because don't know what you as a tech are doing or what the client is doing for this to occur.

I would tell her that you stick to regular procedures and that this has never occurred.

Latest posts

Back